Sponsored

Anyone in CA install FI and pass smog

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Hello, hoping to get some input from the CA guys. The smog check where they plug the smog machine into the OBDII connection and verify whether your car passes or not. I asked in the FI section, but it appears nobody has FI (supercharger or turbo) in smog testing counties, or they just don't want to talk about it. So far it looks like Whipple will work, but it's the most $, also see reference to Paxton saying it passes all 50 states emissions. Just wondering if anybody knows what works and what doesn't. Thanks hopefully.
Sponsored

Last edited:

daltron

Rowing All Day
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jonathan
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
Not the legal answer, but honestly just find a smog guy that will work with you. $150-250 every two years and never another worry.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not the legal answer, but honestly just find a smog guy that will work with you. $150-250 every two years and never another worry.
Thanks for the suggestion. I did that for about 10 years with one of my earlier cars. I don't want to go through it again as seemed like the guys change jobs too often and I could never find the same guy more than a couple times. Plus we have it yearly and it wasn't much fun scrambling to find a shop to help me pass.

Nick610s

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Comp Orange GT
Roush s3 comes factory with carb eo number I beleive.

Sponsored

StoplightWarrior

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 STi, 2016 Camaro SS, 2016 Infiniti QX50
The roush and whipple are carb legal, I think.

The centrifugal blowers are still pending.

Finding a "smog guy" now is very tough. They face really stiff penalties if they fudge results.

CrazedAntelope

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chad
Vehicle(s)
Ecoboost Premium PP
Finding a "smog guy" now is very tough. They face really stiff penalties if they fudge results.
Not only that, smog techs can face felony charges for falsifying a certificate.

free

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andre
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT
I know Dennis (SCRuby) has a Whipple and is fully carb certified.

OP
OP

Bartly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Thanks for the replies. I had kind of written Roush off, but I suppose it's as good a contender as any, but that Whipple is sure nice to look and I'm sure even more fun to drive, just can't go with the price tag.
Yep want to keep it legit for sure. Thanks again for the feedback as to what you've heard or know works.

Last edited:

Martman GT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marty
Vehicle(s)
2015 TY GT Premium
Thanks for the replies. Yep in Reno Nevada. I had kind of written Roush off, but I suppose it's as good a contender as any, but that Whipple is sure nice to look and I'm sure even more fun to drive, just can't go with the price tag.
Yep want to keep it legit for sure. Thanks again for the feedback as to what you've heard or know works.
Nice to find another Reno member. So far I've only met one other member from this community in Reno and he's got a GT350. What area of Reno are you in? I'm in South Meadows area.
Sponsored