Sponsored

Anyone have dash cam with tinted windshield or back window?

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
If anyone has a dash cam on a tinted window, I'm curious to know if you've done anything "special" (e.g. suction cup, different adhesive tape, etc.) to avoid ruining the tint for when/if you ever decide to remove the dash cam.

My front windshield was tinted to 70% (well worth it IMHO) and I have the Thinkware F770 dash cam that comes with double sided adhesive tape. My rear window is also tinted and I have the rear dash cam. I'm guessing I could put it up there just fine, but I wonder if I'd pull the tint off if I ever decided to take the dash cam down. I should have no reason to take it down, but just rather do a little homework beforehand just in case :).
Sponsored

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
I also have the Thinkware F770 and just stuck the rear cam over the tint - I figured that any square cut out of the tint would look weird from outside.

I'm pretty confident that it will come off with some fishing line and a little heat without damaging the tint if I ever need to remove it.

Make sure you stick it on the correct way up - the CE sticker/logo (EDIT) on the rear camera actually needs to be upside down for the rear cam to display the video output properly. This isn't able to be changed in the settings. There's also a blue LED on the unit (visible from outside) which I covered up with some black tape as it's also not able to be turned off in the settings.

My windscreen is not tinted so I just stuck it on.
image.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I also have the Thinkware F770 and just stuck the rear cam over the tint - I figured that any square cut out of the tint would look weird from outside.

I'm pretty confident that it will come off with some fishing line and a little heat without damaging the tint if I ever need to remove it.

Make sure you stick it on the correct way up - the Thinkware logo on the rear bracket actually needs to be upside down for the rear cam to display the video output properly. This isn't able to be changed in the settings. There's also a blue LED on the unit (visible from outside) which I covered up with some black tape as it's also not able to be turned off in the settings.

Very cool to know! Thanks for the info man! Time to get to hardwiring mine!

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4

Make sure you stick it on the correct way up - the Thinkware logo on the rear bracket actually needs to be upside down for the rear cam to display the video output properly. This isn't able to be changed in the settings. There's also a blue LED on the unit (visible from outside) which I covered up with some black tape as it's also not able to be turned off in the settings.

Great info. I was looking into the F770 too, and this is helpful information.

Drewbo

WTF?
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Drew
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Fastback 6MT DIB
Vehicle Showcase
This is the rear cam mounted correctly, it's actually the CE sticker/logo that needs to be upside down as opposed to the Thinkware logo.
IMG_3238.jpg

Sponsored

Given To Fly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 F150 Limited
I always tint my windshields with ceramic film and never had an issue with anything that uses a suction cup including dash cams.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
I always tint my windshields with ceramic film and never had an issue with anything that uses a suction cup including dash cams.
That's what mine is tinted with as well. I hooked up the front and rear dash cams and all went well!

BlackGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 triple black GT convertible
Just out of curiosity, why tint your front windshield? Do you put sunglasses on at night to drive?

Helmet

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dude
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Just out of curiosity, why tint your front windshield? Do you put sunglasses on at night to drive?
The strip at the top of the windshield, Some types of dashcams go behind the rearview mirror to hide it.

OP
OP
altjx

altjx

GTFO_0036 | 1337 h4x3r
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.altonj.io
First Name
Alton J.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Race Red GT350
The same reason any other window is tinted. I like not being tore up by the sun. The only difference is that you're looking out of the front one most of the time. 70% tint is not hard to look out of at night. Do you wear only a t-shirt outside when it's snowing?
Sponsored