Sponsored

Anyone else having sync3 wifi issues?

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
I cannot get my sync3 system to connect to my home network, and I'm wondering if my system has an issue. First, I have 3 wireless networks at home (Wireless G, Wireless N, and Dual Band Wireless N), and it can only see the wireless N network. When I try to connect to the one network it can see, it keeps telling me the password has been rejected. I know I have the password correct...so what gives? Anyone else have similar issues?
Sponsored

HizliBullet

GT350
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mustang
Vehicle(s)
16 GT350, 17 Edge Sport
Vehicle Showcase
trying changing the password of the wireless router to something easily typeable (no numbers, no symbols etc) make it 1 long word

mine doesnt see the G frequencies either, it only sees 1 out of 3 bands too.. the N band..no G can be seen

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
trying changing the password of the wireless router to something easily typeable (no numbers, no symbols etc) make it 1 long word

mine doesnt see the G frequencies either, it only sees 1 out of 3 bands too.. the N band..no G can be seen
It already is easy to type, it's English, cobbled up with symbols, but I'm 150% confident that I have typed it correctly. I even purposely pulled my phone off and reconnected it to make sure I hadn't gone crazy.

lemers

Globetrotter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Vehicle Showcase

how about this for a password... "Pennyisafreeloader"

:lol:

Sponsored

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
It already is easy to type, it's English, cobbled up with symbols, but I'm 150% confident that I have typed it correctly. I even purposely pulled my phone off and reconnected it to make sure I hadn't gone crazy.
Hey FISHTAIL,

If you're still having issues, reset the module and try connecting again. To perform the reset: Select radio > Hold the power button (center of the volume knob) + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.

Keep me posted!

Cara

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
put ur wifi channel to auto, and not specific channel.... also make sure ur dhcp list is big enough to accommodate an additional ip assignment
Negative. I have specific channels assigned for a reason. There is to much co channel intereference from the other networks in the house, and the neighbors for me to let it auto select a channel. The DHCP list is not an issue, at any given time there is maybe one thing connected to this particular network, and at most, there are 10 devices or so. It can handle far, far more than that.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
Hey FISHTAIL,

If you're still having issues, reset the module and try connecting again. To perform the reset: Select radio > Hold the power button (center of the volume knob) + the right-seek button at the same time for up to 5 seconds.

Keep me posted!

Cara
I believe the power button for my radio is the center most button in the group directly below the touch screen. I haven't ever tried pressing inside the volume ring..didn't think that was a button. I'll give it a shot this evening. Thanks.

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.maserecordingstudio.com
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
Negative. I have specific channels assigned for a reason. There is to much co channel intereference from the other networks in the house, and the neighbors for me to let it auto select a channel. The DHCP list is not an issue, at any given time there is maybe one thing connected to this particular network, and at most, there are 10 devices or so. It can handle far, far more than that.
i know but i am telling u thats the issue,
set it to auto and see that ur car stereo will connect
then assign separate channels until u find the one ur sync3 uses.
or u can continue investigating without trying lol

FordIVTteam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
I believe the power button for my radio is the center most button in the group directly below the touch screen. I haven't ever tried pressing inside the volume ring..didn't think that was a button. I'll give it a shot this evening. Thanks.
No problem! You can still reset the module with where your power button is located.

Cara

Sponsored
OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
i know but i am telling u thats the issue,
set it to auto and see that ur car stereo will connect
then assign separate channels until u find the one ur sync3 uses.
or u can continue investigating without trying lol
That makes no sense. If it was a channel problem, sync3 wouldn't be able to see the network to start with. Changing the channel changes the frequency inside of that given band...if sync truly had a channel problem, it wouldn't be able to see the network on a "bad" channel. If that trick worked for you, it's probably because you were getting interference on the channel you had selected previously and sync didn't deal with it well. I've purposely selected channels on my networks that do not overlap, and also overlap as little as possible with those of my neighbors.

I read elsewhere that password length is a possible issue with sync, and that passwords 10characters or greater are not properly supported. IF that's true, then that's going to be my issue, as my password exceeds 10 characters.

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
No problem! You can still reset the module with where your power button is located.

Cara
Awesome. So this resets the wifi module only? Or does it also reset all the radio presets? Just curious.

Also, see my previous comment. Is what I dug up about password length true?

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
That makes no sense. If it was a channel problem, sync3 wouldn't be able to see the network to start with. Changing the channel changes the frequency inside of that given band...if sync truly had a channel problem, it wouldn't be able to see the network on a "bad" channel. If that trick worked for you, it's probably because you were getting interference on the channel you had selected previously and sync didn't deal with it well. I've purposely selected channels on my networks that do not overlap, and also overlap as little as possible with those of my neighbors.

I read elsewhere that password length is a possible issue with sync, and that passwords 10characters or greater are not properly supported. IF that's true, then that's going to be my issue, as my password exceeds 10 characters.
SSID and channels are 2 separate things.
either way, hope u get it resolved.
mine is no longer an issue,
and i have a complex more than 10 characters passwords as well.
NO WPS
good luck

OP
OP
FISHTAIL

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
SSID and channels are 2 separate things.
either way, hope u get it resolved.
mine is no longer an issue,
and i have a complex more than 10 characters passwords as well.
NO WPS
good luck
I never said anything about SSID? Unless you are referring to my first comment, which would still then be correct. If Sync was unable to communicate over say, channel 3 (which you shouldn't be using anyway on a 2.4ghz network), then it would mean it's unable to communicate properly on that frequency band...which makes it unlikely that it would even see the network broadcasting the SSID.

I'm glad to hear about the password length though, I was hoping to avoid changing that as the only network the car can see is the one I have setup for my "internet of things" that is isolated from the other two networks that we use for computers. And changing it would mean having to go fix my thermostats etc.

What encryption scheme are you using? I wonder if that's the issue...I suppose it's possible that the module doesn't support WPA2.

m.a.s.e

Ninja
Threads
Reaction score
Website
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB
I never said anything about SSID? Unless you are referring to my first comment, which would still then be correct. If Sync was unable to communicate over say, channel 3 (which you shouldn't be using anyway on a 2.4ghz network), then it would mean it's unable to communicate properly on that frequency band...which makes it unlikely that it would even see the network broadcasting the SSID.

I'm glad to hear about the password length though, I was hoping to avoid changing that as the only network the car can see is the one I have setup for my "internet of things" that is isolated from the other two networks that we use for computers. And changing it would mean having to go fix my thermostats etc.

What encryption scheme are you using? I wonder if that's the issue...I suppose it's possible that the module doesn't support WPA2.
its always nice to talk to someone that understand networking,
but i am telling you, the sync3 firmware is all sorts of jacked up. in my case scenario it wouldnt let me connect unless i put the 2.4 network on AUTO to allow it to connect.
then in my specific case scenario i isolated the issue to channel 11 (dont ask me why, ask FORD dev).

either way per ur request here is my specific set up:
WPA-2-Personal.
MAC address filtering
27 client DHCP list with reservation
12 characters complex password (Lower,Upper,number,special character).

when i got my car i went through all that you are describing right now and the ONLY thing that worked for me was setting the 2.4 to AUTO chanel assignment, connect, grab the MAC and set everything back to what it was .

now, the way i see it. we can write here all of our years of knowledge in networking in details, or u can go to ur router, set it to AUTO attempt to connect ur car and continue from there.
u dont need to change anything on ur NEST or any client as you are doing this FOR TESTING ...
. ya know :)
Sponsored