Sponsored

Anyone else get the tire/rim protection package?

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
It's a waste of money.
If you just use it once for a tire replacement, it would have paid for itself.

I hit a pothole (presumably) the first week of ownership and created a bubble on the sidewall of a 19" 275 P4S which cost $325 to replace. It cost me $299 to get that W&T package.

So within a week it already paid for itself, and I still have 4 years and 51 weeks to go. If you drive it daily, you're bound to fuck up a tire or two and it's definitely worth it.
Sponsored

maniak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang v6, 1978 Ford Quadravan 4x4, 1992 Ford Explorer, 2000 Civic HX, 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
We got it when we got our 2019 gt PP1 BUT it's not the Ford one. The ford one doesn't cover cosmetic on the rims while the one we got from our dealer does. I don't need to bring the tire/wheel "on" the car but I need to bring it "with" the car (it fits in the trunk). I have a spare set of tires/wheels in the shed that's is the nex" set of tire/wheels I'll install when the currently installed tires wear out. I also use them on the times we get a flat and don't want to drive to the get a new tire right away OR for the wait for a new tire etc. I just swapped on another rim/tire (still OEM) and took it to the dealer and dropped it off. A week later I stopped by and picked it up with a total cost to use of $0.

The paperwork showed $370-ish for the Tire replacement (Oem Pilot sport 4 275/40R19). We paid about $800 for the 7 year coverage but since we will do 25k-30k miles a year I figure'd it was worth it. With just one tire replacement it has already saved about 1/2 the price of a tire. If it's a repairable issue I'd probably just stop at Discount tire as they do plug/patches for free or who knows, I may just do the same and leave the tire/wheel at the dealer and pick it up later.

~Mark

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
We got it when we got our 2019 gt PP1 BUT it's not the Ford one. The ford one doesn't cover cosmetic on the rims while the one we got from our dealer does. I don't need to bring the tire/wheel "on" the car but I need to bring it "with" the car (it fits in the trunk). I have a spare set of tires/wheels in the shed that's is the nex" set of tire/wheels I'll install when the currently installed tires wear out. I also use them on the times we get a flat and don't want to drive to the get a new tire right away OR for the wait for a new tire etc. I just swapped on another rim/tire (still OEM) and took it to the dealer and dropped it off. A week later I stopped by and picked it up with a total cost to use of $0.

The paperwork showed $370-ish for the Tire replacement (Oem Pilot sport 4 275/40R19). We paid about $800 for the 7 year coverage but since we will do 25k-30k miles a year I figure'd it was worth it. With just one tire replacement it has already saved about 1/2 the price of a tire. If it's a repairable issue I'd probably just stop at Discount tire as they do plug/patches for free or who knows, I may just do the same and leave the tire/wheel at the dealer and pick it up later.

~Mark

Discount tire does plugs/patches free?

maniak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Mustang v6, 1978 Ford Quadravan 4x4, 1992 Ford Explorer, 2000 Civic HX, 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 1000
Discount tire does plugs/patches free?
Yes, you don't even have to have bought the tire from them.

If the tire isn't repairable (hole is too close to the edge, tire is too worn, tire has a heat ring from driving on a low tire etc) they will sell you another tire.

The free tire repair AND a discount tire store that found me a really cheap used tire so I could at least be safe while I saved up the money for a pair of tires got my business back in the mid 1990's. Ever since then I've been sending people there and I've bought probably close to 75 tires from them by now. For a while we were buying 6 tires a year minimum.

My only issue with Discount Tire is with Ford Explorers (they will only install OEM tires, even if you have a 6" lift etc) but that's a different story. I use my neighbors tire machine for that.

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Yes, you don't even have to have bought the tire from them.

If the tire isn't repairable (hole is too close to the edge, tire is too worn, tire has a heat ring from driving on a low tire etc) they will sell you another tire.

The free tire repair AND a discount tire store that found me a really cheap used tire so I could at least be safe while I saved up the money for a pair of tires got my business back in the mid 1990's. Ever since then I've been sending people there and I've bought probably close to 75 tires from them by now. For a while we were buying 6 tires a year minimum.

My only issue with Discount Tire is with Ford Explorers (they will only install OEM tires, even if you have a 6" lift etc) but that's a different story. I use my neighbors tire machine for that.

It could be because ford was having a roll over issue for a while there...

I know I’ve spent about 15/25 dollars a reaper and I’ve done that at least 3 or 4 times. However not sure there’s a discount tire close to me, could all be non corporate locations.

Sponsored

maniak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
It could be because ford was having a roll over issue for a while there...
I understand the original issue but now that the lawyers got involved it's just stupid. The original issue was Ford stating 26 psi was the recommended tire pressure for a nicer ride while using tires that would be over loaded within 8 psi of pressure loss. Take that plus people not watching their tire pressure and you get overheated/blowing tires in the hotter parts of the US, especially the left rear where the fuel tank is.

Basically, Discount Tire's lawyers got involved and want to blanket say OEM tires only even if using OEM tires now would be even more unsafe. I see this similar to zero tolerance to fighting in school. It's a stupid position taken thanks to lawyers/lazyness and they don't care if it causes even more harm.

As for the question if all discount tire stores do the free repair, every one I've been to (only in 3 states) and all the posts I've seen about vehicle frugality tips have always stated use discount tire for free tire repairs. So far no one I've ever sent to Discount Tire (even in other states) have told me they were charged. I also have no idea if the American Tire version of Discount tire (Mid/North California only) does it but I'd assume so.

~Mark

Mustang5ohMan

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
A
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
I understand the original issue but now that the lawyers got involved it's just stupid. The original issue was Ford stating 26 psi was the recommended tire pressure for a nicer ride while using tires that would be over loaded within 8 psi of pressure loss. Take that plus people not watching their tire pressure and you get overheated/blowing tires in the hotter parts of the US, especially the left rear where the fuel tank is.

Basically, Discount Tire's lawyers got involved and want to blanket say OEM tires only even if using OEM tires now would be even more unsafe. I see this similar to zero tolerance to fighting in school. It's a stupid position taken thanks to lawyers/lazyness and they don't care if it causes even more harm.

As for the question if all discount tire stores do the free repair, every one I've been to (only in 3 states) and all the posts I've seen about vehicle frugality tips have always stated use discount tire for free tire repairs. So far no one I've ever sent to Discount Tire (even in other states) have told me they were charged. I also have no idea if the American Tire version of Discount tire (Mid/North California only) does it but I'd assume so.

~Mark
no discount tire close by here....
Sponsored