Sponsored

Anybody having durability issues with the exterior badging?

Variance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2017 Shelby GT350
Opening my trunk one day this week after work, I noticed that the black paint, enamel, or whatever it is, appeared to be peeling off of the badge on the trunk lid (first picture). This prompted me to take a look at the front badge, which also appeared to be missing several chunks of black. It seems to be primarily on the "G", though there is small damage in other areas as well.

Has anybody else noticed this on their cars? I've had the car for less than a month, so the apparent fragility of the emblems strikes me as a bit abnormal (especially when the much more cheaply made roundels on my BMW hold up for at least a few years before starting to peel). As minor as it may be, now that I know it's there, it has been driving me up the wall; do you think I can get the badges replaced under warranty? I have a feeling they aren't cheap...
20161025_181851-1280.jpg
20161025_181823-1280.jpg
Sponsored

TxOilMoney

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
F150
The front badge looks like it's been wiped with a thinner rag.

Paul@PKAUTODESIGN

The Wheel guy
Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
WWW.PKAutoDesign.com
First Name
Paul A.
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Tech Pack #G5531 Avalanche Grey
How long have u had the car and what have you used to clean the car ?

ETCH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Performance
that's a cleaner issue...

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Having trouble sleeping so went out to the garage to take a look.

Rear badge is perfect.

Front badge has two very small sections of the black missing in the lettering "G" and "0" (see pic below). I have had my car since December (4000 miles) and have only hand washed it with proper car wash fluid (Meguires Gold). The little lines you see are from my microfiber towel I wiped it with. Looks good otherwise.
image.jpg

Sponsored

OP
OP
Variance

Variance

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2005 Lotus Elise, 2017 Shelby GT350

TDC

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350, 2019 Challenger Scat Pack Widebody, 2019 Corvette Grand Sport
Variance,

Regarding my photo above, I did notice as the microfiber towel wiped the area inside the "G" it began to pull up more of the black. It seems the closed weave was grabbing the plastic.

Maybe it began with a small lift on one corner/edge and the microfiber started pulling it up.

When wiping/washing the badges I have been cautious of the amount I scrub and the weight I apply to the towel.

FYI, use Gold Class wash as well.

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
I hate these kinds of problems. I'd take it to them to look at. Of course, it's a small issue and in their minds, I always worry that they look at me as unreasonable or overly picky....but at this price, for a Mustang - I'd expect a little durability out of parts like this. I'd hope they would keep looking good for a reasonable amount of time. I sold my 93 coupe a while back...lot's of years on that one and while not perfect, them emblems looked very good.
Sponsored