Sponsored

Anybody ever fall "out of love" with owning your Mustang?

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I wanted a Camaro or Mustang since I was 13 years old and lusted after owning it. Back then the city wasn't as congested, gas was cheaper, and I had less responsibility.

Factory ordered my 5.0 in 2015 in my late 20's. I drive this and have my daily Toyota sedan.

After living with it for over a year and a half, I am sadly starting to fall out of love with it.

Has this falling out of love happened to anybody here?
Can't say it ever has, not in the 45 or so years that I've been buying new cars. But any car I buy has to pass the test of "can I honestly expect to still be happy with this car at least 6 or 7 years down the road?". Been working so far, averaging a bit more than twice that before selling or scrapping.

More recently with guns, where I have more to choose from than the two or at most three that I can realistically shoot at any one trip to the range, it's the same thing. After I've shot the newest one(s) a couple of times, I'll still be as likely to pick up the first one or any of the others. Haven't decided yet what I'll be taking to the range tomorrow . . .

Norm
Sponsored

OP
OP
lazarus870

lazarus870

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT PP
If a manual transmission GT performance pack is not working for your location and finances, by all means buy something else. If you are only able to manage 14 MPG in a Mustang GT, you probably will do worse than that in a truck.
It's the way my city is set up. You can't really go more than one green light without hitting another red. I barely get it up to speed before having to stop again. I think whoever designed this city did it to be annoying on purpose.
Lots and lots of traffic, congestion, lights that have a weird cycle to them (can't seem to hit a string of greens anywhere) contribute to bad mileage.

When I go to my girlfriend's just out of town, I will manage 17-18 mpg around town.
Full highway I have gotten up to 26 mpg.

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I've owned my GT for over a year and still find excuses to drive it or even just sit in it. Granted it's not too fun in winter snow or rain, and the MPG I average is about 12-13mpg (I don't know how people average like 20+). Luckily I can get 93 octane for around $2.90/gal. Honestly, even in traffic it's fun and I get a lot of compliments. I do have an auto, I could never daily driver a manual around here. I wish I had a garage, but I invested in a quality car cover I throw on before snowstorms or heavy rain.

Ecoboosted

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18' Mustang GT, 19' Road Glide
I still love it but sometimes I get bored with it. I've had other sport/muscle cars and felt the same way. When I sold or traded them it wasn't long until I started longing for another one again.

I learned my lesson to just keep it. I hate trading cars and losing money. I keep coming back to a sports/muscle car. I appreciate it more after driving my f150 and street glide. I take turns driving all of them.

When I remind myself this car is almost paid off, still looks great, faster than most of the boring cars on the road and especially starting over with something else with a new loan I appreciate it and am grateful To have it.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
How are people getting bored with a v8 mustang?

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
:shrug: dunno.

Maybe the reasons that sounded good at the time didn't hold up as well as hoped for? Or the reasons that sounded good at the time weren't the right ones to begin with?

Norm

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Usually for me after 2-3 years with a certain level of performance I start feeling like I want more. I did find that going to the road course where I can really open it up makes a big difference for me in my enjoyment and appreciation of a car, though.

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
:shrug: dunno.

Maybe the reasons that sounded good at the time didn't hold up as well as hoped for? Or the reasons that sounded good at the time weren't the right ones to begin with?

Norm
Makes me wonder if I will get bored of it if I eventually trade up.

JohnD

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2023 Mach 1 track day car
I tend to wear out on situations in 5 to 10 year cycles, including jobs. Luckily I've mostly had good luck with that. Have gone through all kinds of interests in cars, boats, life style situations in general.

At only 3 years of owning a Mustang I'm not there yet, but I'm thinking I'd like a dedicated track day car. Not interested in converting this car into one because I want a full on race build that will be trailered to the track and I don't have space for 3 vehicles. This one will have to go when and if I go that route.

Did a track day recently in an S197 race car and it was an absolute blast, IRS definitely not needed to have yards of fun with that car. Rekindled the enjoyment I had racing 26 years ago and whetted my interest to move in that direction. It's also the only legal way to really push a car to the limit and that's what it's all about for me.

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Did a track day recently in an S197 race car and it was an absolute blast, IRS definitely not needed to have yards of fun with that car. Rekindled the enjoyment I had racing 26 years ago and whetted my interest to move in that direction. It's also the only legal way to really push a car to the limit and that's what it's all about for me.
Would that have been with DeMonte?

Norm

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
-The congestion of everything means that even when I try to get away for a weekend or go for a leisurely drive, I hit a wall of traffic. And with all the condos, construction, etc. it just gets worse. The other day I was cruising along wonderfully and then BAM - wall of traffic. 4 lanes into 1 due to some gigantic condo buildings they were putting up. Felt like I was going to wear my clutch out inching along for like half an hour.
Run Google maps or Waze to help avoid this

Weather here. It doesn't get too bad but it rains a lot and last year we had a lot of ice and snow which kept me parked for some time.

Now a part of me is thinking to sell both my cars, getting a 6 cyl small pickup like a Colorado or a Tacoma, and calling it a day.
can't imagine a pickup truck driving that much better than a Mustang in the ice and snow. What tires do you have on your car?

T-S550-X

Threads
Reaction score
DFW, Texas, USA, Planet Earth, Milkyway Galaxy
First Name
Naji
Vehicle(s)
DIB 2015 Mustang GT PP
Op,

I seriously think you need a good reminder of what made you buy the car in the first place. The factory exhaust sucks. Change it up for something that livens up the drive. I think you'll almost find excuses to hit red lights just so you can rev up over and over. I avg 18.6 MPG in my car with mixed surface and freeway driving. My exhaust doesn't help, but I have no idea how your managing 12-14mpg. That's bizarre.

I also think you need to take the car somewhere to stretch her legs. I don't get to daily drive my car, so the weekends are my fun times. It never fails to put a smile on my face. I also "used" to wrench on my cars. That pretty much ended with my '04 WRX. I did nothing to my 2015 WRX other than minor cosmetic things. The mustang got me back into wrenching, not because I needed to, but I wanted to.

I can't help but look back at my car just about every time I get out of it. Life is too short to drive boring cars. If after doing all this, the car still doesn't do it for you then get rid of it and find something that makes you happy.

CommyO

Is it a v8?
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB Premium PP
You have a v6 and are not content so I can see how you don't understand.

Whatever car you have, you will get bored no matter what. After 2 years you're not going to be hard accelerating at every stoplight. You just want a nice car and a nice interior to go home to.

13-14 mpg can be a heavy strain depending on finances and can inhibit long term contentment with a car.
Sponsored