Sponsored

Anybody ever fall "out of love" with owning your Mustang?

theduke

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
First Name
Christopher
Vehicle(s)
'88 Saleen Conv, '11 Brembo GT, '17 Premium PP
I still love everything about the look but I'll admit it's the little things that wear on me. Not being able to shift into any gear without a giant thunk from the drivetrain, every panel on the dash buzzing like crazy, at least two areas in the back that intermittently rattle ...
Nothing that makes me want to get rid of it just yet but it definitely kills some of the enjoyment of getting behind the wheel.
Sponsored

KevinG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP 6SPD Recaros w/black roof
Definetely love the looks of the S550, but sometime the driveability has me in question. The long hood is my biggest pet peeve and I find myself getting close to the windshiled when making tight turns and parking. Granted I'm used to the imports, its a whole different ballgame. But the RWD, V8, 6spd and right price tag is what drew me in.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Definetely love the looks of the S550, but sometime the driveability has me in question. The long hood is my biggest pet peeve and I find myself getting close to the windshiled when making tight turns and parking. Granted I'm used to the imports, its a whole different ballgame. But the RWD, V8, 6spd and right price tag is what drew me in.
Sounds like you need to drive it more.

Computer Guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue GT350
Factory ordered my 5.0 in 2015 in my late 20's. I drive this and have my daily Toyota sedan.

After living with it for over a year and a half, I am sadly starting to fall out of love with it.

-13 to 14 mpg with gas over 5 bucks a gallon (Canada....) really gets annoying.
-The congestion of everything means that even when I try to get away for a weekend or go for a leisurely drive, I hit a wall of traffic. And with all the condos, construction, etc. it just gets worse. The other day I was cruising along wonderfully and then BAM - wall of traffic. 4 lanes into 1 due to some gigantic condo buildings they were putting up. Felt like I was going to wear my clutch out inching along for like half an hour.
-Damage! I noticed somebody scraped up my side fender and I had to get it repainted. 1100 in damage, paid my insurance deduct and was on my way. Around that time I had to get a screw patched from the tread of my tire. Two days after picking it up from the body shop....SOMEBODY BACKED INTO MY FRONT BUMPER! :frusty:
-Weather here. It doesn't get too bad but it rains a lot and last year we had a lot of ice and snow which kept me parked for some time.

So with all of this crap, I am making payments, insurance, gas, repairs on a vehicle that's starting to feel like it's becoming a pain in the ass to own.

Now a part of me is thinking to sell both my cars, getting a 6 cyl small pickup like a Colorado or a Tacoma, and calling it a day.

Has this falling out of love happened to anybody here?
Like you, I custom ordered my 2011 Mustang GT premium automatic from the factory in June 2010. Waiting the 13.5 weeks for the car to be delivered added to the excitement of ownership of that car. Typically, by late fall the car starts to feel a little boring, feels like just any regular car when commuting back and forth to work on nice weather days... until of course after taking off nice and easy to about 15 MPH the gas pedal is pushed fully to the floorboard and both rear wheels break loose for 30+ feet with traction control enabled. Parking the car for the winter is similar to resetting the 13.5 week delivery timer, knowing that I will be able to pull it out of storage in the spring causes the return of excitement that I felt shortly after leaving the dealership in October 2010.

Yes, I have fallen out of love with my 2011 Mustang GT at times. Yet the instant personality switch from its fuel sipping 27 MPG lifetime average to a gas guzzling beast that merges onto the freeway like few other vehicles keeps me coming back to the car. I still have that car today, with it parked nose to nose with my 2017 GT350 that was also custom ordered from the factory. Sure the 2011 does not get washed as frequently now that there is a new toy under the same roof and the 2011 is now generally driven when rain is predicted, but I still found myself giggling a few days ago when I put the pedal to the floorboard after leaving a stop sign.

Given your traffic situation, you might have been happier with a GT automatic rather than a performance pack manual transmission car. The gearing of your car is probably contributing to the low gas mileage that you are experiencing. Maybe consider trading in your current car on a 2018 GT with an automatic?

Or, if having custom ordered the car from the factory means something to you, find a way to enjoy the car that you have. For example, take it for an extended cruise down country roads where there are few stop lights and few stop signs. Reset the gas mileage meter at every fill up, and see if you can find ways to improve the gas mileage by slightly altering your driving habits (keep engine RPM below 2,000, coast to stops, keep a good distance between your car and the car in front and use that distance to coast in gear when the car in front slows down, etc.) Take pictures of the gas mileage meter when out of the ordinary numbers appear on the display (for example, the first of the attached pictures shows 30.2 MPG in my 2011 GT just before heading to a gas station on a 3100+ mile cruise, the second picture shows 26.2 MPG at 8250 in my GT350, and the third picture shows 27.3 MPG sitting at the gas station in the GT350 at the end of that same monthly "cruise").

My GT350 with 3.73 gears is likely geared similar to your GT performance pack, at least through 5th gear. While it might claim 27.3 MPG (actual MPG is typically 6% to 8% lower than indicated) in the 340 to 365 miles each direction to and from the monthly destination, it typically claims 12 to 14 MPG in the week that I daily drive the car around the destination. In that case, the GT350 would be a poor daily driver in that environment. By comparison, the 2011 GT automatic still claims a 18 to 22 MPG average (actual is 6% to 8% higher than indicated) in daily driving around that destination. If fuel costs were the ultimate goal, I would be driving that Mustang GT on the monthly trip in the middle of winter, rather than my 4x4 F150 - it is better to have the right vehicle for the weather conditions, if possible, but enjoying what you have is also important.

If a manual transmission GT performance pack is not working for your location and finances, by all means buy something else. If you are only able to manage 14 MPG in a Mustang GT, you probably will do worse than that in a truck.
19171 Miles - 30.2 MPG.jpg
26.2 at 8250 Miles Small.jpg
27.3 at 8397 Miles Small.jpg

smdandb2

ManBearPig
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Toyota Corolla SE
I have fallen out of love with mine a few times. I went almost 18 months without doing any real modifications and it just started to bore me.

Then I rallied around a lightly modded Focus RS about 4 months ago and realized what I needed was just a little more power.

Now basically the only remaining original modifications I have on my car is the COBB Intake and Accessport. I have a new turbo, new turbo back exhaust, new front mount, adding an oil cooler and probably meth.

That will keep me entertained for a bit.

Everytime I drive it though, I find more things that annoy me.

Front end clunks, drivetrain clunks, I have some rattles and with the 90f+ days the little turbo 4 just isnt happy.

I don't even have 30k on it yet.

But then I take it somewhere and park it. And when I come back out I realize just how good looking it is.

I STILL HATE THE SEATBELTS WITH A PASSION THOUGH. If this car gets totaled, I will not buy another S550 due to the seatbelts alone. Right now I have some Sparco pads on them, and while it helps its a janky ass fix.

To add to that, I think the most I have driven the car in the last 2 months was maybe 15 miles. For some reason I like driving my Exploder more. Still won't sell the Stang... but it's weird to like driving a bone stock Exploder more.

Sponsored

pdac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 GT, 2011 GT/CS, 2013 Jeep Wranger, 2014 GT/CS - All SOLD! Current - 2012 Corvette Grand Sport
I wouldn't say I fell out of love with my mustang. I think I fell out of love with buying new cars. I bought new a 2007 GT, a 2011 GT/CS, a 2013 Jeep Wrangler and a 2014 GT/CS. I only put about 2k miles on my cars a year. I think I sold the Jeep with 2500 miles on it.
Other than the Jeep, I really loved all of these cars. When it came time for something new though, I was going to wait for the 2018 Mustang but realized that to get what I wanted I would be spending around $45k which is a lot for something that I might drive 10-20 miles a week. I was also looking at Scat Pack Challengers at the time but same story.
So I switched gears and picked up a 2012 C6 Grand Sport for under 35k and couldn't be happier. I'm obviously not loyal to any one brand, I just like fast fun cars and with everything available out there these days, you really can't go wrong.

IMG_20170701_223330.jpg

IMG_20170703_101152.jpg

Reactions: A7X

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
I did my with my 15, but it really wasn't the cars fault. My mom was killed in a traffic accident about the same time I bought the car and every time I got in the car it reminded me of the drive I had to make to the airport to fly home.

A7X

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Black Silver Stripes
I did my with my 15, but it really wasn't the cars fault. My mom was killed in a traffic accident about the same time I bought the car and every time I got in the car it reminded me of the drive I had to make to the airport to fly home.
So sorry to hear. Condolences to you

fabianvs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 5.0

That breaks my heart man..

Sponsored

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
I haven't even come close to getting tired of this car.
Ive had this V6 Mustang since Apr 2015 and I still love this thing. On Fridays when I get off work at 5 and excited for the weekend, i'll just drive around town for absolutely no reason but just to drive, sometimes for like an hour. I might hit up a store for some beers or rum but I really just enjoy driving it. I never did that with my Mazdaspeed3 or my 2014 Nissan Sentra.

BA939P

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dante
Vehicle(s)
17' GT350 & 14GT
Im living in Victoria, and I know how it feels like. Take your times and dont rush to make next decision

crs2879

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I only wish I had waited on a GT350. The first 350's in '15 were going for silly prices so I ordered a GTPP and then put another $10K in it last year with the Phase I blower + a few other mods. I love driving the car but the GT350 keeps whispering to me......maybe my older age but I just can't stomach paying the $25K premium it would take for a GT350 when I have a 650+ HP car with 2K miles in the garage.

Outside of Ferrari 488 or Lambo Huracan.....not much else I desire more than a Mustang.....and wouldn't own a GM product if you gave it to me....no matter how fast.

GTFORMULA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Grey gt500 pp, recaros, nav
I had a 2015 gt auto base. After owning alot of 2011-2014 mustang in those few years, I just didn't like the new one. Traded it for a 2017 camaro as. Hated that car. Then went back to a 2014 gt auto. Might get a 2018 auto when it comes out or a 2014 gt500. We shall see.

GTRacerX.

The Masked Racer
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rex
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium PP
Still remember my first love ...

A 1969 Ford Mustang Mach 1 - Calypso Coral
390 cu in (6.4 L) FE V8 (1969) 4-barrel S-Code
320 bhp (239 kW; 324 PS) @ 4,600