Sponsored

Any CB / HAM radio hobbyists?

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just curious if there’s any CB, Motorola, or HAM radio hobbyists on here.
Sponsored

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
Right here.

Last summer's project was to build a tilting, 35 foot mast that would support a 4 element Maco horizontal beam, a 5/8 wave vertical and a heavy Yaesu rotator. I built the tilting base plate, the supporting posts and the multiple pulley system that lets me raise and lower this apparatus by myself using nothing more than a 3/8" drive, 18 volt cordless drill. Pulleys are a wonderful thing. I do have 7 guy wires at strategic locations to help protect against the strong wind we get here on the hill we live on.

Digging and pouring the three bases was by far the worst part. First was the two post support for the winch and pulley system. Then the base for the tilting plate. The cable rigging, antenna assembly, some test runs, guy wire measuring and installing, and eventually doing the one-handed lift into position and securing guy wires. It's stood up to 75 mph winds so far and works well with the radio gear I have. Of course, I wish I had been able to use the 50 foot tilt tower I was planning on using but after the Digger's Hotline folks came and surveyed where I was planning on putting it, it was obvious it wasn't going to work due to the handful of services that were right where the 4 foot deep concrete base was going to go. Oh well. this plan B was fun too. I hadn't welded since high school so it gave me a great reason to pick up a MIG welder and give it a go.

I use an AnyTone AT-5555N II radio, a President Lincoln II+ radio and a few additional surprises when conditions require. At some point I plan on installing the President Lincoln in my F150, after deciding how to handle the aluminum body issue. I do have an adapter goes on the back of cab up where the light is that allows an antenna to be mounted to it, but I haven't installed it yet.

I went through the first CB craze in the 1970s when I was an ankle biter and have fond memories of that. Much different out there today. Lots more environmental noise and jackass operators.

a0.jpg

a1.jpg

a1a.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg

The Demon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brett
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 N5809, 2019 Mustang GT Premium PP1
Vehicle Showcase
Brilliant!

OP
OP
Cobra Jet

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Right here.

Last summer's project was to build a tilting, 35 foot mast that would support a 4 element Maco horizontal beam, a 5/8 wave vertical and a heavy Yaesu rotator. I built the tilting base plate, the supporting posts and the multiple pulley system that lets me raise and lower this apparatus by myself using nothing more than a 3/8" drive, 18 volt cordless drill. Pulleys are a wonderful thing. I do have 7 guy wires at strategic locations to help protect against the strong wind we get here on the hill we live on.

Digging and pouring the three bases was by far the worst part. First was the two post support for the winch and pulley system. Then the base for the tilting plate. The cable rigging, antenna assembly, some test runs, guy wire measuring and installing, and eventually doing the one-handed lift into position and securing guy wires. It's stood up to 75 mph winds so far and works well with the radio gear I have. Of course, I wish I had been able to use the 50 foot tilt tower I was planning on using but after the Digger's Hotline folks came and surveyed where I was planning on putting it, it was obvious it wasn't going to work due to the handful of services that were right where the 4 foot deep concrete base was going to go. Oh well. this plan B was fun too. I hadn't welded since high school so it gave me a great reason to pick up a MIG welder and give it a go.

I use an AnyTone AT-5555N II radio, a President Lincoln II+ radio and a few additional surprises when conditions require. At some point I plan on installing the President Lincoln in my F150, after deciding how to handle the aluminum body issue. I do have an adapter goes on the back of cab up where the light is that allows an antenna to be mounted to it, but I haven't installed it yet.

I went through the first CB craze in the 1970s when I was an ankle biter and have fond memories of that. Much different out there today. Lots more environmental noise and jackass operators.

a0.jpg

a1.jpg

a1a.jpg

a2.jpg

a3.jpg

a4.jpg

a5.jpg

a6.jpg

a7.jpg
Is this the radio gear mentioned - and for a newbie that’s currently reading up/learning, what was the deciding factor for that radio?
https://president-electronics.com/CB-Radio-Ham-Radio/Ham-Radio/LINCON-II-Plus

Canuckican

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium - Race Red
Is this the radio gear mentioned - and for a newbie that’s currently reading up/learning, what was the deciding factor for that radio?
https://president-electronics.com/CB-Radio-Ham-Radio/Ham-Radio/LINCON-II-Plus
Yes, that's one of the rigs I have. I bought the Anytone AT-5555N2 first, planning on using it in my F150. But it's substantial radio and I didn't find a good spot for it in the cab. So I decided to use it as a base station and picked up the President Lincoln II+ for the F150 instead. The Lincoln has a much smaller footprint and it's easier to find a mounting spot in the F150. But then life got in the way and I have not yet installed the Lincoln in the F150. I have everything I need to do the install, just lacking the time and determination.

These two radios have similar features and output power but I think the receive and noise filtering on the Anytone is much better than the Lincoln. The place in Michigan where I buy a lot of my radio gear sells both radios and I had him go through both of them before he delivered them to me. Just basic stuff like making sure the power levels are adjusted appropriately (mainly not over-cranked) and that the modulation level is set such that the sound is clean. You give up a few watts by tuning for a great sounding radio as opposed to tuning it to get every last watt out of it. I probably gave up 5 watts but gained very clear modulation.

These are both 10/12 meter radios but are easily converted to work on 11 meters. Both have variable output power so you can turn them down if/when you're driving an amp. But make sure you pickup a good quality PEP power meter if you're going to do that to help prevent roasting the amp. If I had to pick one of these two to keep, hands down it's the Anytone. But YMMV.

There are great forums on worldwidedx.com with an abundance of information from subject matter experts. Just like here.

PresidentLincoln.jpg

Anytone.jpg
Sponsored