Sponsored

Aluminum Alloy Lug Nuts for the Mustang?

Jimayy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jimmy
Vehicle(s)
2016 EcoBoost
So my buddy has a cousin in Taiwan who owns TDMi Imports. Smaller car company based out of Taiwan, and known for suspension and chassis and seem to do custom brake kit builds.

Anyways, I bought some raffle tickets with my buddy to see if I could win a new brake kit, I ended up winning 2 lugnut sets, and one SR20 valve cover kit. I gave the cover kit to my friend since he's in the 200sx/SR community. So I have two sets of aluminum alloy 1.5 thread pitch lug nuts. Link to Product Example
One open, one closed and they're lightweight for sure. But I'm not sure if they'll fit on the car okay, or if they're going to be safe or just as safe as like regular steel lugnuts.

20210209_144613.jpg

I'm currently using the Coyote Accessories black steel set, the same one on American Muscle I assume. And it been good, the paint did chip from discount tire guys doing the tires... I know with aluminum I wouldn't be able to use impact so would need to hand tighten, which isn't bad, just worried how it holds up. I'm trying to gauge what people feel about it. My buddy thinks it's okay. My other buddy in the Honda/Acura scene doesn't like them.

What you guys think? Yay or Nay?
Sponsored

Michael_vroomvroom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2020, MT, EU (not quite PP1), Magneride
I think the best is to mail them and ask. I've mailed a few companies producing lug nuts to ask if they can be torqued to 150 ft lbs (Ford's spec), and some have said their lug nuts cannot (while others have started on some fairy tale for why their particular lug nuts are safe to use even if not torqued to spec).

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Hard pass on aluminum lug nuts. Weight savings really isn't so helpful so close to the hub center.

My buddy lost a wheel on an autocross course. Horrible grinding noises as his chassis and brake rotor were scraped across the concrete for a few yards as the wheel happily rolled off by itself into the sunrise.

Aluminum lug nuts were a contributing factor to that disaster.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Aluminum lug nuts. No FKN way......

Hillsndale

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 Magneride Magnetic Grey
I would be skeptical of 150 ft/lbs on aluminium not to mention the dissimilar metals potential issues.
Sponsored