corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I'm not afraid to pay for what something is worth, but if you look at other brands and how much comparable option packages cost, these are out of line.
Nor am I. But 'what it's worth' ultimately comes down to individual values. I wouldn't bat an eye over spending $1k or more for a non-R GT350 wheel & tire package or two-way user-adjustable dampers and firmer springing as stand-alone options. But for such mainstream things as that LCD screen or Carplay I'd be actively willing to pay some amount of "delete option" money to have them not installed on my car in the first place.

Kind of how a fingerprint reader was once a high-end cell phone feature and now almost all phones have. When it comes to electronics the normal progression is to get more for less.
I fully understand the latter. But if from one general level of features/capabilities to the next, none of the new stuff that was added is of any interest to you individually . . . what does that say about its value to you?

Norm
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
People still use CDs?
When you've got over 600 of the things (actual count, not a guess), why wouldn't you?

Never mind that working through some fiddly menu is the last thing I want to have to do in order to find what I want to listen to, when I can go straight to any given disc in less time.

Norm

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
When you've got over 600 of the things (actual count, not a guess), why wouldn't you?

Never mind that working through some fiddly menu is the last thing I want to have to do in order to find what I want to listen to, when I can go straight to any given disc in less time.

Norm
With 600 disks to go through I'm not sure you should trying to use that as an example of time savings :lol: And do you really keep 600 cds in your car?

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
Because at some point you've seen the light and took the time to rip all of your CDs and encode the audio files to lossless format. CD quality anywhere, anytime, and you never have to change discs.

Sponsored

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Because at some point you've seen the light and took the time to rip all of your CDs and encode the audio files to lossless format. CD quality anywhere, anytime, and you never have to change discs.
+1 FLAC ftw!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With 600 disks to go through I'm not sure you should trying to use that as an example of time savings :lol: And do you really keep 600 cds in your car?
They're stored fairly neatly in the house and it really is a quick and easy task to pick from there how many (and which ones) I'm likely to use for any given trip.

For short hops around town I don't even bother with recorded music; whatever one of the local FM stations happens to be playing usually suffices. I change the channel if it isn't.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Listening to music in the car causes poor driving. Here is a scientific paper...

https://www.nature.com/articles/s41598-017-04475-1

A quote...

The researchers found that the participants' reaction times were slower when they were instructed to look away from the attended loudspeaker
Or perhaps at least as accurately, driving causes a poorer level of attention to the music.

It's a very difficult paper to read, but it sure seems that in that test it was the listening that was intended as the primary task and occasional visuals were the distractions. I hope nobody is driving around with that being true.

I suspect a better case could be made if the audio side of the test had been speech, such as you get in your car s news/weather/sports/talk radio programming. You're more likely to be listening to something like that with active intent, where you probably wouldn't to a song you'd heard dozens of times and had the benefit of memory filling in for the sounds you'd miss.

FWIW, I've always turned the radio off completely during autocross runs and track day sessions, generally for the entire event actually. But on a longer drive listening seems to help set a steadier and more consistent pace even when I'm barely half hearing it.

Norm

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
Lol at saving time. I can press and say what song or artist I want played without ever accessing a menu or touching the screen.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
The trick isn't if you can access any song, it is accessing a song in high fidelity ?

Anyone, even poor people or people without music collection have access to generic songs, & so what? Listening to music is just that, while most people just want background noise. Fidelity counts.

Sponsored

thet33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT/6MT/3.55
The trick isn't if you can access any song, it is accessing a song in high fidelity ?

Anyone, even poor people or people without music collection have access to generic songs, & so what? Listening to music is just that, while most people just want background noise. Fidelity counts.
He said he doesn't want to fiddle with menus to get to his music and it's quicker with the CD collection. So my statement is pertinent to the convo. Thanks.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
He said he doesn't want to fiddle with menus to get to his music and it's quicker with the CD collection. So my statement is pertinent to the convo. Thanks.
If it helps you understand where I'm coming from, I can't imagine myself talking to my car to get it to do anything. Ever. It's a 'thing', and I tell it what I want it to do with pedals, switches, levers, knobs and such.

Now, I might swear at it if something about it broke, went inop, or if the car was to suddenly start talking to me, but that's different and I wouldn't expect the car to understand either religion or basic biological functions.

Norm

Cgocifer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 1SS 1LE, 2015 RAM Ecodiesel, 2015 4Runner
Wow, this thread has totally derailed. Lol

TomcatDriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350 Magnetic w/black stripes
If it helps you understand where I'm coming from, I can't imagine myself talking to my car to get it to do anything. Ever. It's a 'thing', and I tell it what I want it to do with pedals, switches, levers, knobs and such.

Now, I might swear at it if something about it broke, went inop, or if the car was to suddenly start talking to me, but that's different and I wouldn't expect the car to understand either religion or basic biological functions.

Norm
Talking to "things" is a thing in 2017.