ALL GT350/GT350R LEADS, ALLOCATIONS, DEPOSITS [READ FIRST POST]

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
I hope not!
Is this R model new or used?

If this is a used GT350R then you can bring the car into America as long as it has been titled or registered for 6 months or more in Canada or has at least 15,000KM.

A new GT350R being sold at a Canadian dealership cannot be sold to someone who has a U.S. address as taxes have to be paid to the Canadian government (GST) by the original purchaser regardless of where the car will be registered in Canada.

Not sure if you are aware of a NVIS but it is equivalent to an MCO in America. The New Vehicle Information Statement is given to the original owner in Canada and federal taxes are assessed at the time of sale.

Also import duties have never been applicable to Mustangs imported into the U.S., Canada or Mexico since all Mustangs have been built in the U.S. over many decades.

Again if this is a used R model then you will be able to get across the border and just think you have avoided the gas guzzler tax down here.

How good is that!
Sponsored

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R HR278, 2008 BMW M3
Is this R model new or used?

If this is a used GT350R then you can bring the car into America as long as it has been titled or registered for 6 months or more in Canada or has at least 15,000KM.

A new GT350R being sold at a Canadian dealership cannot be sold to someone who has a U.S. address as taxes have to be paid to the Canadian government (GST) by the original purchaser regardless of where the car will be registered in Canada.

Not sure if you are aware of a NVIS but it is equivalent to an MCO in America. The New Vehicle Information Statement is given to the original owner in Canada and federal taxes are assessed at the time of sale.

Also import duties have never been applicable to Mustangs imported into the U.S., Canada or Mexico since all Mustangs have been built in the U.S. over many decades.

Again if this is a used R model then you will be able to get across the border and just think you have avoided the gas guzzler tax down here.

How good is that!
Here's my version.

It's a new GT350R with 25 km on the odometer. The purchase transaction occurred nearly four weeks ago and has been paid in full since. Before making the offer, I cleared the purchase with the Canadian dealership, Ford-CA, and Ford-USA. Both sides told me there wasn't any restriction on the purchase to a US citizen, but there were limitations to the purchase. I was told up front I would need to pay GST. Both Ford-CA and Ford-USA also told me that the 5 year powertrain warranty wouldn't transfer to the USA unless the car stayed in Canada for six months (no mention of 15000 km). Both sides told me the 3-year 36000 mile (50000 km) warranty would be valid anywhere in the world (also covers the engine), but only the 5-year extended powertrain warranty wouldn't transfer to the USA unless the car stayed in Canada for six months. To make up the PT warranty loss, Ford USA offers an 8-year, 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for the GT350R for $2400. These are small prices to pay compared to dealer markup in the USA.

I'm not sure about NVIS and don't know what it is. A quick search makes it look like it's related to titling the vehicle. I'm told by the dealer that the title paperwork is already done and issued in my name with my USA address. They tell me they've had the title for about two weeks now. Is that it, or is there something else?

I'm also curious about the comment the car can't be imported unless it's been in CA or has at least 15000 KM. I think what you mean to say is that Ford won't generate a compliance letter without those conditions. I don't think the CPB cares and doesn't forbid anybody from crossing the border. Ford-USA already generated the compliance letter no-questions-asked (except the VIN#). I received the compliance letter less than 24-hours after I made the request. Is that it, or is there something else there too?

According to the CPB web site, I will need to pay the gas guzzler tax at the time of importation. I'll be ready for it, if that's required.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Here's my version.

It's a new GT350R with 25 km on the odometer. The purchase transaction occurred nearly four weeks ago and has been paid in full since. Before making the offer, I cleared the purchase with the Canadian dealership, Ford-CA, and Ford-USA. Both sides told me there wasn't any restriction on the purchase to a US citizen, but there were limitations to the purchase. I was told up front I would need to pay GST. Both Ford-CA and Ford-USA also told me that the 5 year powertrain warranty wouldn't transfer to the USA unless the car stayed in Canada for six months (no mention of 15000 km). Both sides told me the 3-year 36000 mile (50000 km) warranty would be valid anywhere in the world (also covers the engine), but only the 5-year extended powertrain warranty wouldn't transfer to the USA unless the car stayed in Canada for six months. To make up the PT warranty loss, Ford USA offers an 8-year, 100,000 mile bumper-to-bumper extended warranty for the GT350R for $2400. These are small prices to pay compared to dealer markup in the USA.

I'm not sure about NVIS and don't know what it is. A quick search makes it look like it's related to titling the vehicle. I'm told by the dealer that the title paperwork is already done and issued in my name with my USA address. They tell me they've had the title for about two weeks now. Is that it, or is there something else?

I'm also curious about the comment the car can't be imported unless it's been in CA or has at least 15000 KM. I think what you mean to say is that Ford won't generate a compliance letter without those conditions. I don't think the CPB cares and doesn't forbid anybody from crossing the border. Ford-USA already generated the compliance letter no-questions-asked (except the VIN#). I received the compliance letter less than 24-hours after I made the request. Is that it, or is there something else there too?

According to the CPB web site, I will need to pay the gas guzzler tax at the time of importation. I'll be ready for it, if that's required.
Seems like you have done your homework so sounds like a winner to me.

Hard to imagine paying 5% GST to the federal government up in Canada when you reside in the U.S. but obviously you have.

I am going to guess at the MSRP on your car being around $91,000 Canadian plus 5% GST and dealer fees so an estimate out the door of at least $96,000 Canadian?

With todays exchange rate of ~.75 I suggest that you paid around $72,000 USF for your R model which is very good.

Even if the recall for the engine oil cooler tube gets replaced on your car very soon don't think that you will be driving it home any time soon as the low in Edmonton tonight is -4 F and the Cup 2 tires won't last very long in that or anything up to 32 F. If your car is coming from Fort McMurray then that is even worse since it is 285 miles North of Edmonton.

Based on your example here a lot of U.S. enthusiasts better start following your lead and start buying R models up in Canada very soon.

:thumbsup:

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Seems like you have done your homework so sounds like a winner to me.

Hard to imagine paying 5% GST to the federal government up in Canada when you reside in the U.S. but obviously you have.

I am going to guess at the MSRP on your car being around $91,000 Canadian plus 5% GST and dealer fees so an estimate out the door of at least $96,000 Canadian?

With todays exchange rate of ~.75 I suggest that you paid around $72,000 USF for your R model which is very good.

Even if the recall for the engine oil cooler tube gets replaced on your car very soon don't think that you will be driving it home any time soon as the low in Edmonton tonight is -4 F and the Cup 2 tires won't last very long in that or anything up to 32 F. If your car is coming from Fort McMurray then that is even worse since it is 285 miles North of Edmonton.

Based on your example here a lot of U.S. enthusiasts better start following your lead and start buying R models up in Canada very soon.

:thumbsup:
Very astute observations about my situation. The parts for the recall arrived today. After the service, I will have the car shipped to Vancouver BC. From Vancouver, I will drive the rest of the way home, visiting relatives along the way. It should be a relatively easy drive down the west coast of the US.

Depending on which state the car is registered, the GST can apply towards the state sales tax. Best case, I'm not out anything that I wouldn't have paid for in the USA. That's still an unknown to me, but one I'm prepared to deal with. Some states like Nevada and Montana do not have a state sales tax and can register a car without any extra cost past GST. There's also the option of the GST refund (form GST189), which doesn't apply to me, for people who buy the car for business purposes and export it from Canada within 60-days of purchase.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
Very astute observations about my situation. The parts for the recall arrived today. After the service, I will have the car shipped to Vancouver BC. From Vancouver, I will drive the rest of the way home, visiting relatives along the way. It should be a relatively easy drive down the west coast of the US.

Depending on which state the car is registered, the GST can apply towards the state sales tax. Best case, I'm not out anything that I wouldn't have paid for in the USA. That's still an unknown to me, but one I'm prepared to deal with. Some states like Nevada and Montana do not have a state sales tax and can register a car without any extra cost past GST. There's also the option of the GST refund (form GST189), which doesn't apply to me, for people who buy the car for business purposes and export it from Canada within 60-days of purchase.
Great stuff and a very good idea to have it shipped from Alberta to Vancouver and be careful on who you use for transportation especially if you are planning to have the front chin spoiler installed. On a car this nice don't even think of an open car transporter but that is just me.

The drive down I5 will be a hoot for sure!

Also make sure that your dealership takes out the polyurethane shipping blocks from both the front and back springs as many dealerships forget all about them.

Lastly, what is the chassis number for your 2017 R as many of the Canadian cars were very early chassis numbers?

I great friend of mine and a member on here was able to purchase HR013 and I took possession of my car last July and it is HR019. My buddies VIN ends in 520146 and mine is 520147 so we have consecutive VIN's and are both Ruby Red.

Good luck and if you need further help PM your contact info and can maybe help you out in some small way.

:cheers:

Sponsored

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
keep us informed of your delivery (i live in vancouver). my last experience shipping a car cross country did not go well for me and it has made me gunshy of doing it again... hoping to learn from you experience.

PP0001

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 CTR LE (126 & 581)
keep us informed of your delivery (i live in vancouver). my last experience shipping a car cross country did not go well for me and it has made me gunshy of doing it again... hoping to learn from you experience.
Yes, things can go bad real quick when using the wrong carrier.

Back in 1987 I bought an all original 1968 RS/SS L78 Camaro with 25,000 miles on it and had it shipped from Winnipeg to Langley via a carrier that is based out of Toronto and still in business.

I had specified an enclosed hydraulic lift gate enclosed car trailer.

Long story short it did not arrive on anything close to that and I was furious.

Like anything in life it all comes down to who you have come to know and trust in order to get a great job done.

;)

thumper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang GT PP
i bought a new car that was on a dealer lot out east. made arrangements through an auto broker who sold my existing car and hired a car carrier to do the transport. when the transport arrived, the car they delivered was not the car i had bought.

so back they went to get my car, except this time the transport company said they were not going to drop it off at the arranged destination because of last monute logisitics issues. so i had to make more arrangements to hire a local towing company to meet them at a dealer auction lot, but carrier was a no show at the arranged time. the tow company ended up leaving for other scheduled jobs. later that day the carrier showed up after the auction lot closed, and they left my car with the keys in the ignition out in the front lot.

come next morning the my tow company went back and found that the car was damaged, but because there was no one there to receive it i couldn't assign blame. there was legal action that went on forever and i ended up having to eat the cost of repairs.

worst experience ever.

Last edited:

PencilGeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
Also make sure that your dealership takes out the polyurethane shipping blocks from both the front and back springs as many dealerships forget all about them.
I added that to the check list. Thanks!

Lastly, what is the chassis number for your 2017 R as many of the Canadian cars were very early chassis numbers?

I great friend of mine and a member on here was able to purchase HR013 and I took possession of my car last July and it is HR019. My buddies VIN ends in 520146 and mine is 520147 so we have consecutive VIN's and are both Ruby Red.
Not sure about chassis number. I know the build date was August 8th, 2016. Until I have it safely across the boarder, I'm holding back on any more VIN details. As a general ballpark, looks like I'm about 1150 higher than those above.

Good luck and if you need further help PM your contact info and can maybe help you out in some small way.
Will do, thanks.

Will do. I'm shopping for transports now. The dealership offered one, enclosed of course, but I'm still going to be calling to see what I can find. Schedule is more important than price.

I had specified an enclosed hydraulic lift gate enclosed car trailer.
Enclosed, hydraulic is on my list.

worst experience ever.
Ouch. I think we've all got horror stories with car transports. I've intentionally built in a 4-day buffer around the schedule to account for transport delays. My transport horror story was moving from Texas to California with the cars to be delivered a week before Christmas. Car courier decided to home to Arkansas (opposite direction of our destination) for Christmas instead of deliver the cars. The cars ended up being three weeks late.

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Lariat 3.5, 2016 GT350
Getting little frustrated with my order placed 07/27/2016 and paid $500 deposit. My dealer told me due to winter break, my allocation will be pulled in Feb. Two weeks ago, he said he is almost 100% sure it will be pulled the next day. When I called him back, he said that allocation was pulled by Ford but it was for someone else. Am I being walked here around? I want to give him deadline if I don't have VIN by the end of April I am stepping out.

Any thoughts? Did you guys just wait or were proactively assertive? Can I get in touch with somebody from Ford Performance to see if they can tell more? Thx.
I'd say yes, you are getting jerked around. Ford assigns the dealer their allocation, but the dealer is the one that controls who gets it, so for the dealer to say Ford has given it to someone else doesn't make sense to me. Good luck.

No, we do not get to choose how many allocations are pulled at a time. We have 3 on order, last week Ford said which ONE is next, I'm not going to give the order to the 2nd/3rd guy in line, even though they are more impatient. I really don't think it's the dealer "jerking you off"

Sponsored

IA350

Ruby Voodoo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2007 Shelby GT, 2017 GT350
No, we do not get to choose how many allocations are pulled at a time. We have 3 on order, last week Ford said which ONE is next, I'm not going to give the order to the 2nd/3rd guy in line, even though they are more impatient. I really don't think it's the dealer "jerking you off"
Well I hope you wouldn't, but it's happened to others on this forum. And to be clear I said jerked around, not off, Lol.

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have an available allocation for a 17 GT350 (not an R) for slightly over MSRP in Northern CA if anyone is interested. Order is being pulled this week. I can have the order put in today or I will order for the dealer if no interest. Thanks!

swedensky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I also have a triple black R model with Electronics that will be delivered within the next month or 2, buyer was laid off and cannot purchase. Car comes with ADM, PM for more info.
Sponsored