Airraid Intake and throttle body questions

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Salar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hi All,

Thank you in advance and I apologize if this has been asked before. I did some searching and wasn't able to find the answers. I have a '16 Mustang GT and am looking to potentially but the Airaid intake for it. I only currently have the funds for an intake and not an intake and tune (though a tune will be coming in the next few months). I wanted to be able to take advantage of Airaid's claim that no tune is required for their intake. Does anyone with the Airaid for their S550 know if it comes with an insert or if the intake just has factory sized tubing and that is how they don't require the tune? I also plan to get a 90mm throttle body when I get the tuner/tune. Would the Airaid work with a 90mm TB? Last questions is does the Airaid intake come with a plug for the sound pipe so I can delete that as well at the same time?

This is probably a silly question but does a throttle body spacer help anything or is it just sound or such a small difference in power that you can't tell one way or the other if it actually made or hurt performance?

:ford:
Sponsored

ZombieHunter

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red California Special
The Airaid doesn't require a tune it has a built in insert to make it work correctly, it can be removed later [by grinding] but then will require a tune, It has the sound tube delete kit with it. The Livernois Windstorm CAI is basically the same but has a better looking lid IMO..
I'm not sure on the larger throttle body fitment with it my guess is you would have to get a different coupler to make it work. FYI with a bigger throttle body you will lose some down low power but get a small gain upstairs..Throttle Spacers normally improve power in one area and make it worse in others in a car like these prolly should be avoided IMO... Hope this helps! :cheers:

Kahboom

Kahboom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GTPP, Recaros/2014 Explorer Sport 4X4
90mm tb would work but require a bigger rubber cupler that connects between the tb and intake. If your n/a it's not going to perform better then a 85mm or a ported stock tb, unless you are force induction.

OP
OP
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Salar
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The Airaid doesn't require a tune it has a built in insert to make it work correctly, it can be removed later [by grinding] but then will require a tune, It has the sound tube delete kit with it. The Livernois Windstorm CAI is basically the same but has a better looking lid IMO..
I'm not sure on the larger throttle body fitment with it my guess is you would have to get a different coupler to make it work. FYI with a bigger throttle body you will lose some down low power but get a small gain upstairs..Throttle Spacers normally improve power in one area and make it worse in others in a car like these prolly should be avoided IMO... Hope this helps! :cheers:
So I need to grind the insert out? It's "semi"-permanently attached?

csmaan12

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT, Oxford White
So I need to grind the insert out? It's "semi"-permanently attached?
When I looked inside mine, it looked like it was part of the tube...kind of like a tube within a tube and was only attached at the filter side of the inlet tube. So if that part were to be dremeled out and removed you'd have a "tune-required" intake.
Sponsored