airgap downpipe heatshielding

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
Saturn ion, 2019 201A, EB PP1, Ruby Red
Recently bought a cvf catted downpipe and i have been exploring designing a heatshield for the downpipe that doesn't require any permanent modding, welding, or doesn't wrap the downpipe either. My main goal would be to reduce underhood temps on track by using embossed aluminum sheeting. Having put a gopro underhood (see my channel) i am fairly certain the downpipe from turbo to cat will be completely glowing hot in stock form under sustained load.

i attempted to take a picture of the dp with the segments before and after the first bend in the same plane. Then i measured the cvf logo plate length as a reference dimension for scaling purposes.

Current design uses these 1/2" standoffs from DEI along with those stainless steel exhaust clamps which would be underneath the heatshielding, and the hardware from the standoffs would secure the heatshield in place. i printed a 1:1 scale flat on paper of the tube unrolled, but paper isn't very forgiving trying to bend around curves. i haven't decided what to do near the cat yet, and whether it is safe to wrap. Nor have i validated how much space is currently around the downpipe as my battery is unhooked for the winter and dont feel like doing that whole rigamarole right now.

downpipe1.JPG

section.JPG

flat.JPG

downpipe.JPG

standoff.JPG
Sponsored

Buldawg76

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost, Rapid Red Premium
Interesting design and concept.

BD

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
Recently bought a cvf catted downpipe and i have been exploring designing a heatshield for the downpipe that doesn't require any permanent modding, welding, or doesn't wrap the downpipe either. My main goal would be to reduce underhood temps on track by using embossed aluminum sheeting. Having put a gopro underhood (see my channel) i am fairly certain the downpipe from turbo to cat will be completely glowing hot in stock form under sustained load.

i attempted to take a picture of the dp with the segments before and after the first bend in the same plane. Then i measured the cvf logo plate length as a reference dimension for scaling purposes.

Current design uses these 1/2" standoffs from DEI along with those stainless steel exhaust clamps which would be underneath the heatshielding, and the hardware from the standoffs would secure the heatshield in place. i printed a 1:1 scale flat on paper of the tube unrolled, but paper isn't very forgiving trying to bend around curves. i haven't decided what to do near the cat yet, and whether it is safe to wrap. Nor have i validated how much space is currently around the downpipe as my battery is unhooked for the winter and dont feel like doing that whole rigamarole right now.

downpipe1.JPG

section.JPG

flat.JPG

downpipe.JPG

standoff.JPG
When I watch video of turbocharged engines on the dyno it's the turbine housing of the turbo glowing not the downpipe. I think a turbo blanket will be more effective at reducing underhood temperature than insulating the downpipe. Here is a video on YouTube that you may find interesting;

OP
OP

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
yeah i've seen that video, but i am concerned about the turbo temps using a blanket during a 20 minute track session. concentrating more heat in the turbo would just tax the oil and coolant temps which already become marginal during a session. Another user posted this picture from the dyno.

8B4477B4-DB02-43DC-8F29-71200DF7FBC0.jpeg

from my car

OP
OP

ihasnostang

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicle(s)
i found some cad models online of some CAT gensets as they usually enclose the exhaust side of the turbos some how. this gap could be because on marine engines there is a surface temperature requirement they can't go over.

this style of metal shielding seems common. i actually bought a spare turbo and scanned it to see if any kind of metal one was possible.

3512.JPG

3512b.JPG

inconel.JPG

scan1.JPG

scan2.JPG

Elamcup

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang Ecoboost MT-82, Chassis N0078
yeah i've seen that video, but i am concerned about the turbo temps using a blanket during a 20 minute track session. concentrating more heat in the turbo would just tax the oil and coolant temps which already become marginal during a session. Another user posted this picture from the dyno.

8B4477B4-DB02-43DC-8F29-71200DF7FBC0.jpeg

from my car
That downpipe is glowing here, so much for my theory... Turbo blankets stop heat from radiating into the surrounding componets like oil and cooling lines, the center section of the turbo, the compressor housing and reduces the underhood temps. The expansion and contraction of the red hot downpipe will eventualy loosen the clamps and bands for the shields on the downpipe.
Sponsored