ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT - Black Accent Package
Question:

I know my AC is on the way out...it doesn't get cold anymore. 44k miles.

In the morning it'll be cold but it has a whining noise that increases with rpm until the noise goes away and the hot air comes on and stays on for the rest of the day.

Does this sound like the evap core issue or something else?

Thanks for the help
Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Sounds like your compressor going out. Most of the time the compressor goes out due to lack of pressure in the AC system. That indicates a leak somewhere and most likely in your evap core. You can get a dye to put in the system and then use a UV light to see if you can find a leak.

Sucks that you're out of warranty :/

OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Sounds like your compressor going out. Most of the time the compressor goes out due to lack of pressure in the AC system. That indicates a leak somewhere and most likely in your evap core. You can get a dye to put in the system and then use a UV light to see if you can find a leak.

Sucks that you're out of warranty :/
So the compressors go out with the evap core?

OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
Not always. Compressors can go out by themselves, but the fastest way to kill them is to run them when there's no pressure in the system.
Interesting, makes sense. I have Geico MBI...I'm just wondering what I should be telling the tech's. I don't want them to just recharge the ac or some BS and call it a day.

Sponsored

usgiorgi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
C6 Z06
Interesting, makes sense. I have Geico MBI...I'm just wondering what I should be telling the tech's. I don't want them to just recharge the ac or some BS and call it a day.
If they need to recharge it, there's a leak which needs to be fixed. Don't trust their BS of "refrigerant needs charging over time." With how many evaporator cores have gone on these cars, it's a good bet that that's the cause. I've seen numbers from $1200 to $2200 for the replacement. 90% of that is labor.

OP
OP
ryant601

ryant601

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
If they need to recharge it, there's a leak which needs to be fixed. Don't trust their BS of "refrigerant needs charging over time." With how many evaporator cores have gone on these cars, it's a good bet that that's the cause. I've seen numbers from $1200 to $2200 for the replacement. 90% of that is labor.
If geico is going to cover it, I want the works.
Sponsored