Sponsored

Aero Concept

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
So I've definitely been a proponent of this for a while and if you look through my post history you will see me CONSTANTLY defending the idea of not screwing around with aero too much. It's a complicated science that is never black and white. However I got thinking (on the toilet of course) how the S550 design would do with winglets as used on some of the big Ferraris.

upload_2019-10-21_12-52-4.png

Aside from looking really cool, my curiosity (not argument, mind you) is that the S550 has some legit aero complications and challenges particularly with the rear end creating terrible drag in most enhanced aero situations. The aero stream is actually very smooth off the tail end and center of the deck lid. But as soon as you start extending any aero upwards and/or outwards, it gets very turbulent. The 350R and the GT500 both have aggressive wings, yes. But they do cause some noticeable drag, at least from computer simulation. Anytime you introduce a wing (where there is airflow both on top and bottom of the foil), you WILL introduce a drag situation. Period. But what if that drag could be reduced with winglets; you still get the downforce from air that is outside of the main slip stream of the body (which is why real wings extend so high upwards from the body) but also allow that smooth clean air coming off of the cabin to continue on off the deck lid?

Case in point? Look at the "swing" on the new 350 and where it allows air to pass through and over. The swing redirects dirty air from further outboard of the body towards the gurney flap but also allows clean air to pass both underneath (outer edges of the deck lid) and over it (very center of the deck lid). If you look at other wing designs that are suited for the S550, a lot of them are also sightly multi dimensional that have very very slight differences in air foil shape outboard but are relatively flat inboard. Steeda's Race Wing is a good example of this.
Sponsored

Last edited:

svttim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350R
Well, fire up the wind tunnel!