Sponsored

Advice please! Trade Tacoma for 19 GT Fastback or wait...

SniperMuffin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arthur
Vehicle(s)
GT PP1 Magnetic
Hey guys, I think it's always best to get perspective from everyone around yourself, family, friends, forums etc. I have a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 6spd. 51,xxx kms. I have 27 months left of payments and it's fully paid off. I have always wanted a muscle car, prior to this I have had Subaru STI's. I'm itching to get one but i'm conflicted.

Keep my Toyota Tacoma and hunt for a 2015 GT Fastback 6spd or trade in my Tacoma (with some value) for a 19 GT Fastback and start the whole payment process all over again. I think I could potentially afford 2 cars but financially I wouldn't be able to mod the mustang much or at all until I pay off the Taco in full.

I got 2 kids and a loving wife, hence why i'm so hesitant to give up the Tacoma.
I'm just torn, I know, FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS. I wake up and it's 30+ Celsius outside and it's literally MUSTANG season here.

I know, at the end of the day make the choice, YOLO or whatever but some feedback or input would be nice. Thanks guys
Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
If you are asking us - then pay off the old car. Save some cash for kids when they go to university. Wear pants for 20 years.

I bought my car - and - then joined this forum. So what did you expect? Do the irresponsible thing. You only live once. Key word is you won’t be able to mod which means you are tapped out. Oh, daughter need braces to fix crooked teeth; too bad as I got my new car with two extra years of payments stacked on top. She’ll get used to the crooked teeth after the kids stop ridiculing her. I guess you will have at least two cars cause the GT won’t do for a family.

If you want a clear headed decision stay away from this place. If you were old like me it is different but even I second guess. Best thing is to have one of those mustang6g meet ups and when you see the the really young guys talking and doing things you used to do, then it all becomes clear.

But seriously, you come to a Mustang forum before you buy the car to ask if you should buy one? :crazy: You already know what the rank and file will say. Which means the more level headed looking at your situation would say no. Or better yet, what does the loving wife say about this?

Oh, and while I really don’t give a rats ass what you do; you did get married and you did have kids. That is your priority and not you and your selfish “you only live once”. The devil is on your shoulder but if you had to buy then buy used. Maybe a 2011 GT. There I bent a bit...

Last edited:

Droid_Junky

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 DIB Mustang
My Tacoma has been the best vehicle purchase that I have ever made. I've had it for 10 years/150,000 miles. I plan to keep it at least another 10 years. Before the truck I was the type to trade in every four years.

As someone who jumped at a 2015 Mustang as soon as they were available to order... I would choose to keep the Tacoma and find a slightly used Mustang, if you just got to get one. It'll be just as fun as a new one and save you some money.

gameovergt

Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
2022 Ford Mustang GT California Special (A10)
Vehicle Showcase
keep Tacoma, get a 2015/16

Sponsored

Zelek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Mach 1
Pay off Tacoma, get 2020 Mustang when kinks are all worked out with the new engine and manual transmission if that's your thing. The Mustangs aren't going anywhere anytime soon.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

Hey guys, I think it's always best to get perspective from everyone around yourself, family, friends, forums etc. I have a 2016 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport 6spd. 51,xxx kms. I have 27 months left of payments and it's fully paid off. I have always wanted a muscle car, prior to this I have had Subaru STI's. I'm itching to get one but i'm conflicted.

Keep my Toyota Tacoma and hunt for a 2015 GT Fastback 6spd or trade in my Tacoma (with some value) for a 19 GT Fastback and start the whole payment process all over again. I think I could potentially afford 2 cars but financially I wouldn't be able to mod the mustang much or at all until I pay off the Taco in full.

I got 2 kids and a loving wife, hence why i'm so hesitant to give up the Tacoma.
I'm just torn, I know, FIRST WORLD PROBLEMS. I wake up and it's 30+ Celsius outside and it's literally MUSTANG season here.

I know, at the end of the day make the choice, YOLO or whatever but some feedback or input would be nice. Thanks guys
Keep the truck and get a used 2011+ Mustang if you find a good deal. Pontiac GTO's are pretty cheap these days too. Something to consider.

jbuck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Do you have another car besides the truck? I would hate to think of kids in the back seat of my car all the time. I would keep the Tacoma and afford what you can for a 2nd car.

I also have a Tacoma and mustang. I think they complement each other well, but I'd send the Mustang down the road before the Tacoma. I too was rolling through cars/trucks until I bought my Taco. The Tacoma just does every OK, its kind of a "jack of all trades but master of none"

dvs73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 PP/GT
Vehicle Showcase
Keep the Tacoma at all cost! You'll regret getting rid of it. I currently have a 2013 sr5/4x4 and a 2015 GT/PP. Its a struggle but one that you wont regret.

Sponsored
OP
OP
SniperMuffin

SniperMuffin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Arthur
Vehicle(s)
GT PP1 Magnetic
Hey guys, thank you for the responses :)
I'm going to keep the Tacoma and be on the hunt for a 15 Gt Fastback with track package. I see a few around here for sale so I'm going to go hunting this weekend. I feel it's the right move and during the winter I can park the stang for a few months that way as well.

Cheers

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep Wrangler
Hey guys, thank you for the responses :)
I'm going to keep the Tacoma and be on the hunt for a 15 Gt Fastback with track package. I see a few around here for sale so I'm going to go hunting this weekend. I feel it's the right move and during the winter I can park the stang for a few months that way as well.

Cheers
Let me get this straight. You have over 2 years left of payments on your daily driver and are purchasing a toy? Presumably you're going to finance this toy?

Vehicles are depreciating assets (quickly in the case of a Mustang), so I'm under the belief they should be paid for in cash. However, YOLO, I guess...

GoFas7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
'18 Kona Blue, GT Premium, PP1, 6MT
Hi ShiftGear,

I was battling the same decision myself up until last week!

I traded my '17 Tacoma TRD Off Road for a '18 GT Premium, Perf. Pack 1! Ended up with about $2500 in equity to put down.

On my end, I am married, no kids as of yet, and my wife has a 2016 Honda Civic Sedan that we commute in during the week. The GT is our Fri.-Sat. car that will live in the garage. We live in Houston, so snow isn't an issue.

What does your wife have? For example, if it's a 4 door SUV/Crossover then you're good to go!

I have owned three Tacomas and only have good things to say. Reliable, retains value well, comfortable, extremely practical, etc.

I missed owning a sports car to the point I was online studying cars every weekend for months. I was researching exhaust systems on YouTube for cars I don't own!

My better half recommended I accelerate my Tacoma payments, pay it off in 2-3 years and then save up to buy a sports car. I don't have the patience for this plan.

I am making the opposite plan. Make payments on this new sports car, and on the side I'm going to save up to purchase an older used truck for purposes like: when it floods, yard work, etc.

and of course... YOLO. Most of us here are not the "a car takes you from A to B," crowd. We are enthusiasts, so for me, I make other responsible decisions, so I can make this one irresponsible decision :)

Best of luck on your decision and future ride! Look forward to seeing what you get!
Sponsored