OP
OP

omelet1978

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Sonata 2.0T Limited
Re-reading through these threads.

Question, if I started with an intercooler would that require premium fuel or just make the engine run better?
Sponsored

3oostdmstng

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang Ecoboost
Re-reading through these threads.

Question, if I started with an intercooler would that require premium fuel or just make the engine run better?
installing an intercooler (IC) does not require running premium fuel. An IC just helps keep your IAT's from getting high in hot temps or idling for a prolonged period of time (or both)...keeping temps low = less decrease in power.
If youve ever taken a look at your IAT's in the center gauge , once those reach 110 F PLUS (thats imo), you start feeling the car run a bit "slower" particularly in the higher speeds.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
the IC only works when the vehicle is moving. If you're idling, your IAT will climb rapidly. A good intercooler drops the temps further and faster when moving thru ambient air than a less efficient one and is able to KEEP cooling for prolonged periods of time whereas a less efficient one will plateau sooner and at a higher temp.

If you want performance out of the EB get a different ECU map. The default factory one is flat-out crap. I don't know if the FP one is significantly better but I'd hope so and at least it comes with a warranty. Any tuner who knows what he's doing won't blow up your motor.
Sponsored