Advice on audio shop install

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
GT350 (sold); 04 Cobra (sold)
I know virtually nothing about car audio, except that the base system sucks. As a result I've purchased some Alpine speakers, subs and an amp I would like to have installed. I've been talking to a local installer about the my car and this is the reply I got:

Hello Cindy, I looked up your vehicle by VIN, and unfortunately there is no information regarding the audio system available to us yet. This means that we need to set up a preliminary appointment to determine if your vehicle 1) has a factory amplifier, and 2) whether the system has a full range signal available for us to tap into to send to the aftermarket amp (s). The second factor will determine if a fix 82 is necessary in this system in order to retain the factory radio.

I know the sound may not be optimal but it's only until an aftermarket head unit becomes available. Is this Audio fix 82 absolutely necessary to install the speakers, amp and subs?
Sponsored

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
Anyone?

S550EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB PP MAN
Hey
If you have the base radio w/ the small 4" screen, then you don't have an amp on your car.

They could either do it with:

1-A LOC, low output converter to turn the signal from the speaker to RCA to be able to connect amp (cheaper method)

2- use an amp that has a "speaker level input connector"
( they would have to run two sets of speaker wires per speaker, one from the speaker to amp and the other one from amp to speaker ).

3-or they could use a Sound processor for adding amps and speakers to a factory system" like the Audio Fix 82 ( most expensive way but will provide a cleaner signal to amps )

I have replaced all the speakers, build a sub enclosure n added two amps to my car.
I did it the way it's explain on #2, I am very happy w/ the way it sounds

I hope that helps :)

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
Hey
If you have the base radio w/ the small 4" screen, then you don't have an amp on your car.

They could either do it with:

1-A LOC, low output converter to turn the signal from the speaker to RCA to be able to connect amp (cheaper method)

2- use an amp that has a "speaker level input connector"
( they would have to run two sets of speaker wires per speaker, one from the speaker to amp and the other one from amp to speaker ).

3-or they could use a Sound processor for adding amps and speakers to a factory system" like the Audio Fix 82 ( most expensive way but will provide a cleaner signal to amps )

I have replaced all the speakers, build a sub enclosure n added two amps to my car.
I did it the way it's explain on #2, I am very happy w/ the way it sounds

I hope that helps :)
Thank you for the reply. So there's no amp...at all? Not even INSIDE the head unit? How does that work? Wouldn't there need to be an amp of some kind in order for there to be sound coming from the speakers? :shrug:

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
The head unit has it's own power supply for the speakers, but it's a pretty small output, probably in the 15-20 watt per channel range.

Sponsored

S550EB

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 EB PP MAN
Thank you for the reply. So there's no amp...at all? Not even INSIDE the head unit? How does that work? Wouldn't there need to be an amp of some kind in order for there to be sound coming from the speakers? :shrug:
If you have the 4" screen,
The "amp" would be build into the head unit.
That does not count as an "amp" technically, that would be just the radio.

How much did they quote you to install the speakers n amps ?

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
Cindy,
Can you tell us which head unit you have? Is it the 4" or the 8" touchscreen? It will make a difference on recommendations...

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
If you have the 4" screen,
The "amp" would be build into the head unit.
That does not count as an "amp" technically, that would be just the radio.

How much did they quote you to install the speakers n amps ?
$875 last time I asked. They still haven't replied to my last question asking them to update the quote after telling them there was no factory amp in the car. Waiting.

Cindy,
Can you tell us which head unit you have? Is it the 4" or the 8" touchscreen? It will make a difference on recommendations...
I have the six speaker base with 4" screen.

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
$875 last time I asked. They still haven't replied to my last question asking them to update the quote after telling them there was no factory amp in the car. Waiting.

I have the six speaker base with 4" screen.
So like S550EB says, the amp is part of the 4" head unit.

If your amp has speaker level inputs, you can take the output of the head unit and feed your amp directly. Then run speaker wires from the amp to the crossover for your speakers and from there to your tweeter and mid-bass. The question becomes where to mount your amp & crossover. If you just bought a single subwoofer, take a look at the Zen sub enclosure thread as an offset design will leave you space to mount those items.

If your amp doesn't have speaker level inputs, then you would need a Line Output Converter (LOC) between your head unit and the amp. Something like;
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2I/AudioControl-LC2i.html?tp=61671

Then you would run your speaker wires as I described above.

The JL Fix82 is more designed for an "active" system, or those not using passive crossovers like you have. It's around $300 and unless you go active, your wouldn't get to use it's most important feature, time alignment.

I haven't been to a stereo installer in quite a while, so I'm not sure what they charge per hour, but $875 seems pretty steep to just install some speakers and an amp that you are providing! If that includes building a sub enclosure, then maybe, but the Zen enclosure is pretty good from all accounts and reasonably priced as well.

If you need more info, let us know what models you are using for speakers and amp...

OP
OP

04Terminator

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cindy
Vehicle(s)
So like S550EB says, the amp is part of the 4" head unit.

If your amp has speaker level inputs, you can take the output of the head unit and feed your amp directly. Then run speaker wires from the amp to the crossover for your speakers and from there to your tweeter and mid-bass. The question becomes where to mount your amp & crossover. If you just bought a single subwoofer, take a look at the Zen sub enclosure thread as an offset design will leave you space to mount those items.
I have already bought a dual 12" enclosure from Zenclosures for the subs. :) I don't think I can mount the amp to that box, though, since there will be two subs in it. I'm not really concerned about where to mount it. I can figure that out easily. I just don't want to be taken advantage of by this shop and have them tell me I need some fancy $300 gadget to make this system work!

If your amp doesn't have speaker level inputs, then you would need a Line Output Converter (LOC) between your head unit and the amp. Something like;
http://www.crutchfield.com/p_161LC2I/AudioControl-LC2i.html?tp=61671

Then you would run your speaker wires as I described above.
Yep, that's what I wanted to do. This shop wants me to schedule a determination appointment... I don't want to do that if I can avoid it. I just see it as a way for them to tell me it won't work. I want to be CERTAIN of what needs to be done, so thank you, Eric!

The JL Fix82 is more designed for an "active" system, or those not using passive crossovers like you have. It's around $300 and unless you go active, your wouldn't get to use it's most important feature, time alignment.
I have no idea what time alignment is. LOL None of this will matter anymore once an aftermarket head unit is available, right?

I haven't been to a stereo installer in quite a while, so I'm not sure what they charge per hour, but $875 seems pretty steep to just install some speakers and an amp that you are providing! If that includes building a sub enclosure, then maybe, but the Zen enclosure is pretty good from all accounts and reasonably priced as well.

If you need more info, let us know what models you are using for speakers and amp...
Thanks again! I'm thinking of putting the subs in the enclosure myself. I've done that before and it turned out fine. That should save a few bucks. But no, their quote did NOT include building an enclosure. When I got this quote, they were trying to sell me JL Audio's corner enclosure with sub. I declined. I'm not paying $800 for something like that! I know it's nice but...no thanks!

Here's a list of what I have:

Front speakers: Alpine SPR-60C
Rear speakers: Alpine SPR-60
2 subs: Alpine SWR-12D2
Amp: Alpine PDX-V9
Rux knob

I haven't purchased the LOC yet. I figure I can get that from the shop as it's not very expensive.

The shop wanted to sell me all these components except for the Alpine subs (they suggested the JL piece). The $875 also included two sheets of Dynamat w/install. I have declined the Dynamat. I'll worry about rattles later.

Anyway, I'll pass your info on to the shop and see what they have to say. Thank you again, Eric, AND [MENTION=18329]S550EB[/MENTION]!

mumbles

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT Prem OW
So your amp does not have speaker level inputs, meaning you will need an LOC.

Your subs have dual 2ohm voice coils, but fortunately your amp can drive a 2ohm load, so as long as they wire the subs correctly your will be fine... and by correctly they should wire the voice coils on each sub in series so each sub will present a 4ohm load, and then they will need to wire both subs together to present a 2ohm load to the amp...

As an afterthought, there may be room under the rear deck to put the amp, it's a pretty small unit. Depending on how big the crossovers are, you could also mount them under the rear deck or maybe under one of the front seats.

Hope this helps!
Sponsored