Advice: MY22 Order Book Closing Concerns

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
Hey gang, happy Saturday -- total newbie here and aspiring future Mustang owner. I come to you with a personal ordering dilemma and need some advice because I know my overthinking brain is going crazy.

TL;DR version: I'm planning to place my MY22 order (grabber blue, GT premium, 401A, PP1, B&O upgrade, 10SPA active exhaust, magneride upgrade) at the end of August this year for financial reasons that I explain more thoroughly below, but am I pushing my luck in waiting until then with the MY22 order books closing ahead of MY23 books opening?

Lengthy full story: I've decided I'd like to jump on the MY22 train so I can secure Grabber blue as a color option in case it is discontinued on the MY23 ponies. However, after learning the order books will open for MY23 in October, I realized I'd need to expedite my original plan to order closer to the end of the year. To be clear, I've never factory-ordered a car in my life so I had absolutely no idea how any of it worked until I recently found various resources online -- like this forum!

After some research, it looks like the MY21 order books closed on October 1st last year (for fleet orders, at least?), so I decided to plan around ordering toward the end of August to be sure I'd get mine in before the MY22 order books potentially close since that date it listed as TBD by the same resource. I've already spec'd everything out and have a dealer I'm working with that told me Ford usually gives them at minimum, four day's warning before order books may close, so if he heard anything in the coming weeks up to end of August, he'd let me know ASAP.

But after reading a thread here about the rumor of Ford discontinuing the PP1 option for GTs (looks like that may have been related to fleet orders?), I started to panic about that possibility happening and not getting the features I have my heart set on. Again, total newb that had no idea I needed to worry about that being a problem.

Car I'm ordering, for reference: GT premium (grabber blue), 401A, PP1, 10SPA, active exhaust, magneride upgrade, B&O upgrade

So why am I waiting to pull the trigger? It's mainly financial, as I'd planned to have a certain amount saved up before the end of the year and before the financing piece of the buying process came into play. My dealer estimated it'd take around 3-4 months for the car to arrive in my town, so if I placed my order toward the end of August, it would potentially arrive in December-ish (it seemed to be the average for the cars he'd ordered for others this year). He didn't seem concerned about this plan at all and that would be PERFECT for my situation, as I'd have near 20% ready to go for the downpayment like I'd originally planned. Not to mention, the car's arrival could coincide with some potentially substantial year-end incentives.

However, now I'm considering telling him to pull the trigger on Monday (7/25) because I'm tired of feeling paranoid that I may miss my opportunity to order the Grabber blue MY22 pony. But will this impulsivity cost me a couple month's worth of saving up? I've noticed orders seem to be cranking out a bit faster after studying the order tracker thread yesterday; a lot of people who ordered last week already have their build dates. Could be flukes or could be just my luck that it only takes 8 weeks for my car to arrive lol. Believe it or not, I'm one of the rare few who is NOT in a hurry to get their Mustang in simply because the more time I have to save, the more I can throw at it to bring the monthly payment down even more.

In these uncertain times, I find I'm dealing with a major case of FOMO (fear of missing out) should I receive notice in a few weeks that either the PP1 option has closed for MY22 or worse, the MY22 order books close entirely without warning OR because my dealer forget to reach out and let me know it was scheduled to happen, etc.

I'm very conflicted and know absolutely everything is unpredictable nowawdays, no timelines are guaranteed, etc. But I can't figure out the right call and don't want to jump the gun too early...

As a historically non-impulsive person, at this point, I feel like I need some outsider perspective/reasoning and logic to help me out. Any advice or sharing of thoughts would be appreciated from those potentially more in-the-know than me!
Sponsored

Last edited:

AvalancheSVT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Douglas
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT PP1 6spd
bro i got 2 atlas blue pp1 401a GT's on order. you're good.

Wingnutzz

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang EB
September production is already scheduled. Week of 15 or 22 August they will do scheduling for October and perhaps first half of November. Factory switchover (simple) to 23MR in late November.
I SUGGEST YOU ORDER IMMEDIATELY. Still lots of orders to be scheduled, so you may or may not get scheduled for Oct/Nov. The earliest you could reasonably expect to get the car delivered would be Nov-Dec if you order now. Things can change for the worse these days, so go for it now.

2023MY.PNG

OP
OP
DandeeLioness

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
bro i got 2 atlas blue pp1 401a GT's on order. you're good.

Oh yeah for sure, I'm way more confident that if I'd already placed my order, I'd be fine.

OP
OP
DandeeLioness

DandeeLioness

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dandee
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium
September production is already scheduled. Week of 15 or 22 August they will do scheduling for October and perhaps first half of November. Factory switchover (simple) to 23MR in late November.
I SUGGEST YOU ORDER IMMEDIATELY. Still lots of orders to be scheduled, so you may or may not get scheduled for Oct/Nov. The earliest you could reasonably expect to get the car delivered would be Nov-Dec if you order now. Things can change for the worse these days, so go for it now.

2023MY.PNG
Ah I see what you mean about factoring in the monthly scheduling and looking at where they seem to be now. A quick look at who was scheduled this last Thursday seems to indicate they're currently filling up late August and September at the moment, so your estimated timeline makes sense! Thank you for the advice. :)

Sponsored

Farkel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Marc
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Premium PP1, 2012 Jeep JK, 2022 Harley 48
OP
OP
DandeeLioness

DandeeLioness