Sponsored

Adding NAV to non nav system. EB premium

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
I added an HD acm awhile back and have HD signal now. I am slightly curious about adding nav to my non nav system. If I buy the NAV module from an 18 ford, will it drop and play into my 17 mustang ecoboost as long as I change the vin inside the item using forescan? or will I have to purchase or any licensing or stuff like that.

Your opinion nav vs Waze or apple maps?
Sponsored

autobahnGT350

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT 350
I added an HD acm awhile back and have HD signal now. I am slightly curious about adding nav to my non nav system. If I buy the NAV module from an 18 ford, will it drop and play into my 17 mustang ecoboost as long as I change the vin inside the item using forescan? or will I have to purchase or any licensing or stuff like that.

Your opinion nav vs Waze or apple maps?
How did you add HD ACM? I want to add that to my 2016 GT350 tech package. Thanks.

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Just bought it here, if the ACM has the little tag on bottom "HD RADIO tech", if it does NOT have that sticker, it is not an HD acm. end of story. but yeah, got it with 15% off. I guess it came out to 152 correction.

Then all I did was install it, took a few minutes, you pop off the top dash trim silver thing that goes above radio, pull a few screws, pull radio faceplate off, bam, swap out the acm. I did it with help left everything else intact, small hands helped reclip the connections.

After that, you have to change a couple lines of code using forescan, like Enable HD radio. think there was one or two codes. took a minute no more. Heres the codes

HD radio enabling 2 codes below
APIM 7D0-01-01 xxxx xxxX xxxx 2= HD No 3= HD Yes
ACM 727-01-01 xXxx xxxx xxxx 8= HD No 0= HD Yes

+ I would also toss this code in it. It made my stock radio sound SOO much better.
Disables factory EQ -bass roll off disabled, active noise cancelation disabled, and also disables fake engine noise for ecoboost. It just made the speakers sound clean, louder, clearer and crisper.

ACM 727-01-02 xXxx xx 0=EQ Off

This is the ACM I bought, you can see on the picture of the backside on the bottom
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-2017-Ford-Mustang-GT-HD-Audio-Equipment-Radio-Receiver-FR3T-19C107-MJ/254120570543?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 1.37.50 PM.png

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
I also decided against nav, honestly I love Waze and apple maps, I travel across country and ford maps will never be updated like apple or Waze, and Waze tells me cops, lol.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Just bought it here, if the ACM has the little tag on bottom "HD RADIO tech", if it does NOT have that sticker, it is not an HD acm. end of story. but yeah, got it with 15% off. I guess it came out to 152 correction.

Then all I did was install it, took a few minutes, you pop off the top dash trim silver thing that goes above radio, pull a few screws, pull radio faceplate off, bam, swap out the acm. I did it with help left everything else intact, small hands helped reclip the connections.

After that, you have to change a couple lines of code using forescan, like Enable HD radio. think there was one or two codes. took a minute no more. Heres the codes

HD radio enabling 2 codes below
APIM 7D0-01-01 xxxx xxxX xxxx 2= HD No 3= HD Yes
ACM 727-01-01 xXxx xxxx xxxx 8= HD No 0= HD Yes

+ I would also toss this code in it. It made my stock radio sound SOO much better.
Disables factory EQ -bass roll off disabled, active noise cancelation disabled, and also disables fake engine noise for ecoboost. It just made the speakers sound clean, louder, clearer and crisper.

ACM 727-01-02 xXxx xx 0=EQ Off

This is the ACM I bought, you can see on the picture of the backside on the bottom
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2015-2016-2017-Ford-Mustang-GT-HD-Audio-Equipment-Radio-Receiver-FR3T-19C107-MJ/254120570543?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649
Screen Shot 2019-05-24 at 1.37.50 PM.png

Does the HD ACM have to be from an S550 of the same year, or can it be an ACM from any Ford? I’m just asking because I noticed the date on the sticker reads 2014?

Sponsored

OP
OP
FreedomPenguin

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
Does the HD ACM have to be from an S550 of the same year, or can it be an ACM from any Ford? I’m just asking because I noticed the date on the sticker reads 2014?

the 14 sticker came out of a 15 car, so as long as its from a 2015+ its fine. The amp I pulled out of my 2017 car, said 2016 production date. funny.

the seller I bought from, list the vehicles they came from, mustang year and mileage and posted pics.
at least the one I bought and the ones I looked at did, but not all of them had HD, you really need to do due diligence research and make sure the sticker that says HD is on it.

I'd call the part place if you find an ACM listing, have them verify it has a HD radio sticker on the acm. golden if so, and probably MJ last digits of code. I am pretty sure the 15-19 cars all have the same ACM's considering mine came from a 15 and worked in my 17.

I just looked through their listed store, I dont see any mustang ACM's with HD label on the back of them. DO NOT BUY ANY ACM THAT DOESNT SAY HD LIKE THE PICTURE ABOVE I POSTED. They will have words, or be blank, but unless it states HD radio etc trademark etc, it is NOT HD radio. thats all I can say, I was a nervous wreck buying an acm off because I was trying to understand the lettering/signatures like JJ/CJ/MJ etc. But the real indicator is that HD has that trademark label. Then it probably will say MJ as last 2 digits possibly on the build code thingy.

EDIT. again here you go buddy. Went to the parts farm website, here is same model I have, says HD and has 2 digits MJ at end. Mine is same as this, this will work, but its 199. but still, I think its worth it. but look around for best price- came out of a car with 7k miles. so brand new basically.

Id buy it if you are wanting HD I say that because mine came perfectly fine. If it didn't work the people on phone assured me they'd make it right before I ordered. Had no issues with them. I had a 15% off coupon on eBay though, so we still only pay 30-40 bucks apart, via coupon.

https://thepartsfarm.com/products/2...audio-equipment-radio-receiver-fr3t-19c107-mj

Even the giant E on the sticker etc all those sub models of ACM's match the one I bought that I am using that has HD. You do need to change the 2 codes I posted though via forescan, but that takes 10 minutes to register and set up, and bam 1 minute to change the values and be done.

Edit 1 more time, you should check to make sure 17/18 dont have physically different ACM's (Im sure 99% that they are the same) but I only say that because you have a Diff gen I guess

Last edited:

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
So I was thinking about adding HD radio to my 301A car with nav. Not quite understanding all the details though after reading all I could find.
So the ACM is the audio control unit that is behind the screen?
And does that or does it not have anything to do with NAV? If I replace the ACM, will I need to get one with NAV or lose that functionality?
Is there also something called the APIM or something like that? What’s that?
For some reason I thought the amplifier in the footwell was the ACM.
Unrelated but kinda related question: what is the difference between the 9 speaker and 12 speaker amplifier, besides the extra subwoofer output? Anything?

PWn3R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Allen
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350, 2013 Ford Raptor, 2014 Ford Escape
So I was thinking about adding HD radio to my 301A car with nav. Not quite understanding all the details though after reading all I could find.
So the ACM is the audio control unit that is behind the screen?
And does that or does it not have anything to do with NAV? If I replace the ACM, will I need to get one with NAV or lose that functionality?
Is there also something called the APIM or something like that? What’s that?
For some reason I thought the amplifier in the footwell was the ACM.
Unrelated but kinda related question: what is the difference between the 9 speaker and 12 speaker amplifier, besides the extra subwoofer output? Anything?
Mike - the part you need to replace is the ACM. It is a large box module that is under the screen behind the audio/climate controls. The CD player is part of that module. I can confirm that this was not difficult. Word to the wise, be very careful with the right panel next to the glove box. I broke the plastic tab off trying to get the small panel loose from the big one that goes across the dash, and the GT350 one is aluminum covered and like 10x the price of the plastic one that comes on most of the Mustangs. Super-glued now...

I also think the ACM I got had a different setup in the car it came from (maybe the Shaker audio). In general my sound is much quieter than it was before. One thought I had was to plug in the old ACM and see if I see differences in the As-Built, but I'm not even sure the settings are IN that module. My volume needs to be turned up to 15ish to hear it at speed on the highway (80) with Speed Compensated Volume turned on HIGH, or about 22 with SCV off.

I have been reading through forum posts from F150s and other cars and it seems there is configuration in the ACM settings that determines if it is setup for a Sony system like the F150s and Escapes have as "premium audio" or the Shaker system for the Mustangs.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to fix this, but I'm going to keep poking around. The bad part is where I have my installation of Forscan, is on an old laptop that has about 30 minutes of battery life, which is limiting my poking around. All I have to charge it is a big ass docking station too.

Mike Pfeifer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ruby Red Mustang GT A10
Mike - the part you need to replace is the ACM. It is a large box module that is under the screen behind the audio/climate controls. The CD player is part of that module. I can confirm that this was not difficult. Word to the wise, be very careful with the right panel next to the glove box. I broke the plastic tab off trying to get the small panel loose from the big one that goes across the dash, and the GT350 one is aluminum covered and like 10x the price of the plastic one that comes on most of the Mustangs. Super-glued now...

I also think the ACM I got had a different setup in the car it came from (maybe the Shaker audio). In general my sound is much quieter than it was before. One thought I had was to plug in the old ACM and see if I see differences in the As-Built, but I'm not even sure the settings are IN that module. My volume needs to be turned up to 15ish to hear it at speed on the highway (80) with Speed Compensated Volume turned on HIGH, or about 22 with SCV off.

I have been reading through forum posts from F150s and other cars and it seems there is configuration in the ACM settings that determines if it is setup for a Sony system like the F150s and Escapes have as "premium audio" or the Shaker system for the Mustangs.

I don't know if I'm going to be able to fix this, but I'm going to keep poking around. The bad part is where I have my installation of Forscan, is on an old laptop that has about 30 minutes of battery life, which is limiting my poking around. All I have to charge it is a big ass docking station too.
Thanks for the info. I think that for now, I’ll hold off on this. It’s quite a bit to go through just for HD radio / IBOC. Maybe once I get the rest of the audio system done, I’ll go down this road.
Sponsored