Active Exhaust on 2017 GT

VitalZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2011 Infiniti G37X
Hey there, I need to start my car early, and with just Roush axle backs it's loud enough to wake people up. I'd like to install an active exhaust setup on it for the summer and I'm wondering if anyone else has done this?
I've seen some Roush kits but I'm not sure if it's everything that will get the job done and it costs about $3,000 just for the parts. Could I find someone with a GT350 who is selling their stock active exhaust and install on it my car, then wire in a manual switch like how the Roush setup has? I know that the Roush one wires into an existing active exhaust setup.
I'm just looking for two modes, quiet and loud.
Any advice on this?
Sponsored

RoryS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
18 plate pre-FL Ruby Red GT
From the UK here, mine is a 2017 car. MP Concepts quad tip rear diffuser and 2018+ active Borla S-Type axle-backs with a control unit and valve actuator kit from Aliexpress that plugs into the 12V socket and is operated by a remote that gives you fully open, fully closed or an "auto" button that just opens the valves in 25% increments. The wiring is pretty much completely hidden under the back seats and behind the trim pieces inside the trunk in mine except for the tiny bit coming out from under the seats up to the 12V socket in the arm rest so it looks pretty much factory. You have to get the springs that sit between the valves and actuators either from a breaker or do what I did and buy 2 of them from your local Ford dealer, part number JR3Z-9449-A. A friend currently has a Bullitt system on his car using the same diffuser and actuator system. Works very well and before I added headers to mine the axle-backs and H-pipe were quieter with the valves closed than the stock 2015-17 catback. Valves open much louder, very useful for keeping the neighbours happy. Cost is obviously dependent on what system you choose to use, stock active catbacks will I'm sure be somewhat easily available from breakers in the US but a brand new system from brands like Borla or Corsa will cost significantly more. My axle-backs were nearly ÂŁ1800, not sure what that is in USD but all Mustang parts cost more over here. Any questions feel free to fire them overđź‘Ť
IMG_20231125_193629_268.jpg

OP
OP

VitalZ

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2011 Infiniti G37X
Thanks for the great write up! It looks like I have some research to do on the control unit and valve actuator kits.
I have had Borla exhausts on some other Mustangs and loved them so I can’t see not liking the ones you mentioned. They’re about $1,700 over here.
If I have some questions as I try to piece this together I may sent you a message, thanks and Merry Christmas!!

RoryS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rory
Vehicle(s)
18 plate pre-FL Ruby Red GT
This was the control kit I used, or at least it looks exactly the same. Just order the 2 inch one as it's cheapest and take the motors off the valves. The kit does come with some valve springs but they don't fit hence having to use the Ford ones. Have the control box somewhere inside the trunk and then you can slice a hole in a rubber grommet in the spare wheel well to run the wires through to the motors, make sure you use some good sealant to keep moisture out of the trunk and potentially get some plastic sheathing for the wiring under the car to protect it as the insulation on the wires with the kit does look a bit flimsy. You'll also need nuts that fit the threads on whatever axle-backs you've ordered to secure the motors, the ones that come with these are the wrong pitch and don't fit the Borlas. I don't currently have access to my car due to being away with work until the end of March so I can't get any pictures of how mine's fitted, but absolutely feel free to message if you're unsure. The Borlas are ace, although obviously because the actives were never meant to fit on a 2017 car you do have to tweak the hangers quite a lot to get the tips sitting right in the diffuser. No cutting or anything, just a lot of patience and care bending the hangers to suit. Merry Christmas to you also!

https://www.aliexpress.com/item/3256801771199004.html
Screenshot_20231224-134808_Chrome.jpg
Sponsored