AC clutch kicks in then immediately disengages

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Guessing a slow leak had started at some point.
Sponsored

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Guessing a slow leak had started at some point.
Hello; Do not know if an old school notion still applies. That notion being the AC needs to be run at least once a month and better if run more often. Cars that sit for months or the AC is not run often use to have seals issues.
Modern systems often will run the AC if you use a windshield defrost setting with a fan speed on.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Hello; Do not know if an old school notion still applies. That notion being the AC needs to be run at least once a month and better if run more often. Cars that sit for months or the AC is not run often use to have seals issues.
Modern systems often will run the AC if you use a windshield defrost setting with a fan speed on.
Yes. Systems have almost always activated the compressor when defrost was activated since the mid 70’s. Yes, these systems should be ran periodically (weekly) to keep the seals from shrinking and keep the lubrication process moving.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
Would the "clog" be related to orifice tube/filter clog in the line(s)?
Could be.
Or do the newer A/C systems not use those any more?
It's part of the AC line.

The most common reason for a clog in the S550 is the dryer. Which requires replacing the dryer and condenser. I always replace the compressor and flush the lines.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP

Sponsored

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Got my gauges a few hours ago.

Starting to feel kind of lame because I can not find where the high pressure port is.

I can't see it in my car, so figure it's just something blocking my view. Been searching the web and this forum plus my factory service manual but no pics of where it is. A zillion pics and videos for the low side for people only wanting to add freon.

Update: found it where I wasn't looking.

Last edited:

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
Got my gauges a few hours ago.

Starting to feel kind of lame because I can not find where the high pressure port is.

I can't see it in my car, so figure it's just something blocking my view. Been searching the web and this forum plus my factory service manual but no pics of where it is. A zillion pics and videos for the low side for people only wanting to add freon.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
In my case, I never turn AC off unless the windows are down and that is very rare. So, the compressor gets run a lot in AZ even most afternoons in winter.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Thanks, but I've seen that and dozens just like it. They all focus on charging which only involves the low-pressure port which is easily spotted visually on GTs. I would recognize the port if I could see it. Just need to know where to look and/or what to move aside to see the HIGH-pressure port.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
The high side port is located up towards the radiator. Right side?

Sponsored
OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
The high side port is located up towards the radiator. Right side?
Yeah. Just came in to post I found it. If it was a snake it would have bit me. I was thinking it would be very close to the compressor because high side ports on some other cars I found were.

Slopoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1 10R80
Sorry for the small pics. I don't have a free converter to change pdf to jpeg, so I had to take windows screen shots.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Sorry for the small pics. I don't have a free converter to change pdf to jpeg, so I had to take windows screen shots.
Thanks. They confirm where the ports are.

OP
OP
HoosierDaddy

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
Examining the gauge set, there are quick connects on the port ends of the hoses. At first I thought maybe cars need a manufacturer/model adapter for the other end of a quick connect for the ports. Eventually, I concluded the ports in the car ARE quick connects even though all plastic.

First try to connect the high port ended with a split-second loss of refrigerant and NO connection. Am pretty confident I had it aligned right. So am stopping to figure out how to connect it without defeating the goal of measuring how much refrigerant there is by losing refrigerant hooking the gauges up.

Had to use one hand under the tube with the port because otherwise the quick connect on the gauge hose just pushed the tube and port away. The other hand pulled the quick release collar up while pushing the connector down onto the high port. But as I said: Pshhhhh and no lock-up!

Maybe there will always be some loss but didn't want to extend the loss due to operator error.
Sponsored