Sponsored

A/S tires year-round or separate summer/winter sets?

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
Mach 1, '21 330i (Wifemobile)
I've decided on silver wheels to match my stripes. While I liked the graphite M350s at first, I've changed my mind about them over time. My list seems to evolve constantly, but at the top currently is the TSW Geneva, which they just released for 2016. It's rotary forged and available in a boatload of sizes.

I realized that the 18x8" OEM wheels were styled to go with pretty much all ten colors of the Mustang. So they should be easy to sell to someone for their winter setup, provided you're willing to take only $4-500 for them!
I'd be perfectly happy with getting $400 for the set, especially if selling to a fellow club member.

FYI, I have settled on trying the BFG Comp2 A/S tires in 275/40 on 19x9.5" wheels. Their UTQG numbers are not that far apart between their A/S and Summer versions. Also, I gave up trying to go with 10" wheels (all 4), because there are so many options in 9.5, both for wheels and for tires (275 and 285 both work on 9.5").
I'm probably going to do a staggered setup in either 19x9/10 or 20x9/10. Leaning towards 20s because although they're heavier than 19s, the tires are typically a couple pounds lighter and more readily available in various sizes.
Sponsored

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
I've decided on silver wheels to match my stripes. While I liked the graphite M350s at first, I've changed my mind about them over time. My list seems to evolve constantly, but at the top currently is the TSW Geneva, which they just released for 2016. It's rotary forged and available in a boatload of sizes.

Great choice on silver wheels. I get it, and don't cave to those that don't. I do have one word of advice for you. There are different "shades" of silver. Don't set yourself up for disappointment with the shade of silver after it is too late. It might not match your stripes as closely as you think.

For example, the Geneva is kind of an "off silver". So might be Enkei TY-5 in "Hyper Silver". You may have less risk with "straight" silver wheels, IOW you are probably safe ordering those sight unseen. (For example TSW Bathurst in silver.) If you have any doubt, you could perhaps get a local Discount Tire store to order in a single wheel in a couple of styles for you to approve the appearance. Then you could return that (maybe pay them a restock fee), and then order from whom you like.

I'm probably going to do a staggered setup in either 19x9/10 or 20x9/10. Leaning towards 20s because although they're heavier than 19s, the tires are typically a couple pounds lighter and more readily available in various sizes.
Why bother with stagger for A/S tires? Are you trying to maximize rear traction?

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
There are different "shades" of silver. Don't set yourself up for disappointment with the shade of silver after it is too late. It might not match your stripes as closely as you think.
I've gone back and forth with that too. It's hard to tell if "hyper silver" from one company is closer to my stripes than another company's "titanium" or "platinum silver." My stripes appear darker head-on but almost white at a 45-degree angle, especially in bright sunlight. Therefore, I'm not looking for a 100% match. As long as the wheels are shaded some type of light to medium "silver" and not a darker "gunmetal" shade, I think I'll be satisfied.

The "matte titanium silver" of the Geneva wheels looks very close to my stripes, especially in the third picture on TSW's site. One thing I am sure of is that the machined face of the OEM 18s isn't even close to matching the stripes. That's why I also ruled out the TSW Bathurst, Interlagos and Nurburgring in silver because they all have machined faces, which I don't want/like for this car. That mirror cut face matches the 5.0 badges on the quarter panels and that's it. Which is too bad, because I really like both the Interlagos and the Nurburgring. Before you mention it, no, I'm not willing to pay extra to have them powder-coated. :p

Why bother with stagger for A/S tires? Are you trying to maximize rear traction?
Mostly, yes. I haven't ruled out supercharging the car further down the road, so wider rubber will prove very helpful at that point. I also wanted the stance that wider rears produce. Since certain tires I'm looking at are directional, like the G-Comp 2's, I wouldn't be able to do a normal rotation with them anyway. Actually, on a staggered setup, I couldn't rotate directional tires AT ALL because I couldn't swap front-to-back on the same side of the car. Hmm, perhaps with a staggered setup I'll go with a bidirectional tread tire like the DWS 06 and a unidirectional tread tire like the Comp-2 on a squared setup. I know 19x10 squared can be done on this car with certain wheels (not the Geneva), but 20x10 wouldn't be possible in most cases without rubbing or needing spacers up front, which I want to avoid.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I use a separate wheel and tire for winter, Mich Xi3's. When I'm done with my PP PZero's, I intend to look hard at a UHP A/S, something I can run 10 months out of the year, preferably a square setup I can rotate.
As much as I love a backwoods twisty trying to go flat out, I just don't need MaxPerf Summer only tire that I get 6-8 months on. I'm never on a track of any sort and it's just a performance category I'm not likely to need tho I was balls out for a PP car, I'm sure in the tire category I can find what I need in something less than a Max Summer rubber.

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I went with All seasons 275/35-20 because of cold temps. We get maybe 1 or 2 small snow events a year, and i just drive the Ex Sport. But we have 60+ days below 40 degrees and some in the 0's or lower.

The P-zeros were just flat out dangerous.

I now have cont extreme dsw 06 all seasons. now that the temps are warmer, i do not notice any significant traction decline over the P-zeros. And now I dont have to stress when the temps fall.

Sponsored

GoBlues38

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT, Premium, 3.55, 20" Foundry, 6 Spd
I have factory all seasons on but still run a different wheel with snow tires during the winter in mn. No matter how good all seasons are they wont be better then snow tires. When my all seasons are done ill buy new wheels with summer tires and use the factory wheels with snow tires.

agree for any real snow events, all seasons are just a compromise and I would never daily drive in snow on all seasons. If I had to drive in snow, i would have a dedicated set.

Many of us get so little snow, we just need an all season for the temps and enough to be able to get home in case you get caught out.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
I went with All seasons 275/35-20 because of cold temps. We get maybe 1 or 2 small snow events a year, and i just drive the Ex Sport. But we have 60+ days below 40 degrees and some in the 0's or lower.

The P-zeros were just flat out dangerous.

I now have cont extreme dsw 06 all seasons. now that the temps are warmer, i do not notice any significant traction decline over the P-zeros. And now I dont have to stress when the temps fall.
Not much diff from Kansas City, few snow event's but it's too cold to get by on summers for very long.

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
I now have cont extreme dsw 06 all seasons. now that the temps are warmer, i do not notice any significant traction decline over the P-zeros.
Thanks for adding more feedback on those. They are definitely at the top of my A/S tire list, along with the BFG g-Force Comp-2s.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
for winter I recommend winter tires, for rain and dry all season is fine.

one thing keep in mind is that all season is ok for say 1 to 3" of snow anything more its not ideal for it, for ice not ideal either.

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
all season is ok for say 1 to 3" of snow anything more its not ideal for it, for ice not ideal either.
If central NC gets even an inch of snow, schools close, businesses close, everything shuts down here. I'd be staying home and not driving anywhere anyway. ;)

@Need4SpeedMotors BTW Paul, I WILL be reaching out to you in the next few months to revisit my wheel/tire options for a September purchase date. You were really helpful with all my questions before and I appreciate that.

Sponsored

shawndean22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Camaro SS 1LE
summer tires, drove mine all year round. good practice. Shouldn't be redlining in cold weather anyhow.

Last edited:

tritus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Challenger Hellcat
If central NC gets even an inch of snow, schools close, businesses close, everything shuts down here. I'd be staying home and not driving anywhere anyway. ;)

@Need4SpeedMotors BTW Paul, I WILL be reaching out to you in the next few months to revisit my wheel/tire options for a September purchase date. You were really helpful with all my questions before and I appreciate that.
I had a 275/315 setup on my Camaro with conti DWS's and they were almost as good as snow tires during the winter. I am on the same boat and currently trying to sell my stock 50th year an. wheels. If I can find a buyer for them I will get a 20*9/20*10.5 set up with dws's again. I really missed the way those 315's looked on my car.

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
I had a 275/315 setup on my Camaro with conti DWS's and they were almost as good as snow tires during the winter.
Most information I've read online seems to agree that A/S tires are perfectly capable of handling up to two or three inches of snow without any problems, provided one doesn't drive like an idiot. :D Again, if we get any more than a dusting around here, everything shuts down anyway and I'll be staying home, so I'm not too concerned about it.

I'm 100% sure now that my new tires will be Continental DWS 06s. Also leaning towards a square setup for rotating ability. Either 19x10 or 20x10 depending on size availability of the particular wheels I choose. The jury is still deliberating on that though and won't be reaching a verdict anytime soon. So many choices! :lol:

OP
OP
Hurricane

Hurricane

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
My choice came down to BFG or Conti A/S. I chose BFG. Why did you choose Conti? Just curious...
The BFG Comp-2s have a directional tread pattern. With a squared wheel setup, I'd only be able to rotate them front-to-back on the same side of the car, which is better than nothing. In a staggered setup though (20x9/10 for example), I wouldn't be able to rotate them at all, which obviously wouldn't be good for tread life and even wear. A staggered wheel setup with directional treads isn't going to happen.

The Contis have asymmetrical treads, so in a staggered setup I can at least rotate them side-to-side. Squared up though, which is what I'm leaning towards anyway, I can follow a traditional rotating pattern for maximum life. I'm very meticulous about rotating the tires every 10k miles on every vehicle I own and will probably rotate every 5k miles with a powerful rear-wheel drive car like the Mustang. In a nutshell, the Contis give me the most/best options for rotating.
Sponsored

Last edited: