Sponsored

A month living with the Mustang GT

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
It hardly seems possible but not so long ago I was complaining to Andy Barratt that I could not see me getting the Mustang before Xmas and yet today, I have had it 4 weeks!

I cannot provide a great review as I cannot compare the car to anything similar that I have driven. Fastest car I have had is a V6 Mondeo and the nicest car I have had (IMO) is an Alfa 159. Slam a 5lt V8 in a 2+2 coupe and I am gonna like it, in fact, I am most likely gonna love it!

So all I can do is just talk about what it is like for me living with this car so that those that have theirs can agree or disagree and those that don't can have an idea of what its like to own this awesome Muscle Car.

Bonnet sorry, Hood
The first thing that strikes me that I am driving a muscle car is the bonnet. You sit in the drivers seat staring down the amazing crease line on the off side. You know just from that, you are in something special. You almost feel like looking along the crease as if you can use it as a site to aim the car in the direction you want to go.

And then there is the sheer length of the bonnet. Pull up at a set off traffic lights alongside and Astra or something with the front of your car level with theirs and you can actually turn and look at the rear seat passengers and I am not exaggerating!

The 5lt V8
Wow!! It is just incredible! It does not matter to me if you are driving like a nutter and using the whole rev range through the gears or sitting stationary in a traffic jam. This engine is a complete joy.

I think its far too fast for the roads. I dont mean that in an old fuddy duddy way but the fact is, you get up too and well past the speed limit in no time and then its like, err what now? Slow up and do it again I suppose!

But the engine is about so much more than this. For example I was climing up a hill behind a horse box (aghhhh!) and a train of about 5 cars with no way of overtaking but I left the Stang in 6th gear and actually got down to 750revs and she was still pulling, its like having an automatic!

Looks
This car in the flesh looks just amazing. I have seen a few before I took delivery of mine but when you have your own, you just get the chance to 'look' at it. And I mean really 'look'

How and why this car looks so much better in the flesh than it photos, I dont know. But, trust me it does. And there is not a bad angle. Most cars look best from the front and looking down one side but this is different. If I had to choose I would have to say side on or maybe, directly behind showing her fat arse!

Attention
I think the colour helps but by does it get some attention. You see heads turning everywhere you go. I have has people wave (and I am sure I dont know them) people comment when in car parks and petrol stations and even asking me to blip the throttle, which of course I do!

Daily driving
Err, well its not as 'easy' to drive as my A class auto was. I have to say that when you are trying to drive smoothly and slowly, its quite difficult to get the revs matched for a perfect gear change. I have kind of mastered this by going 1st, 3rd, 5th through the gearbox (no I dont slip the clutch).

You do notice the size. You feel like you have to drive 'past' the corner before you turn in and when you are pulling in to a tight side road with a car waiting to come out of it, you have to make sure there is room before you turn in, Otherwise you will be taking the paint off down their off side and leaving some of your O/S/F corner in exchange.

None of this worries me, in fact, it makes me smile. Its a muscle car, not a freaking family hatch!

Fuel Consumption
Really? Who gives a dam? Yes, she is thirsty. Having a small fuel tank, a thirsty engine and the fact that I have rediscovered my love for driving, have meant I am a regular visitor to my local Texaco.......what timing that was for £1 per litre petrol. That makes me happy.

I have only once checked the trip computer against a full fill up and they agreed to the nearest decimal point. I am doing the same with my current tankful and if I get the same result again, I will be quite happy with that the computer is accurate.

On the run I checked I had achieved 25mpg and that was a mixture of round town driving, fast driving and motorway cruising. That matches what I used to get from my Alfa 156 tspark and my mate gets from his Saab 95 turbo.

I have got 28mpg on a long run (says the computer).

Negatives
I thought long and hard about this.

When we found out about the handbrake not being moved over and guys on this forum made a fuss about it I thought and I think I said 'What the hell, are you guys really moaning just because the handbrake is not being moved over for RHD? Get over it!

I am sorry but they were right! Its a pain in the arse. Every time you want to use the handbrake you end up touching the arm or leg of your passenger. I actually find myself sitting with my foot on the foot brake rather than annoying the passenger pulling on the hand brake. Considering all the expenses in the dash, steering, electrics etc, Ford should have done this.

Rear seats
I was genuinely concerned about the rear seat room on this car but my 15year old is happy to travel in the back. He has plenty of leg room and has only hit his head on the rear window once....when I failed to slow down for a road hump!! He done leave a hair gel patch though. I am considering making him wear a cap!

Summery
This car is everything I wanted and so much more. I knew I would love it, I knew it would be fast but I did not know it would make me fall back in love with 'driving' and by that I mean ALL driving. I love every single second I spend with this car. Even when I am just looking at it!
Sponsored

plc268

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Patrick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium Race Red
Note about fuel consumption. Not sure if Ford is smart enough to account for this, but realize UK gallons are bigger than US gallons, so your numbers will be higher than what most of us in the US are reporting.

Figure I post that here before others try argue about (it happens)

Btw, what color do you have? Any plans for mods, or you planning to keep it stock?

cyberbro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT On Order
Out of curiosity, about how many cars are available for sale with a V8 in the UK.
About 3 or 4 models, from any maker?

Steve44

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT w/PP
Congrats, glad you are enjoying the car!!

Zwerg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT, Volvo XC60
Out of curiosity, about how many cars are available for sale with a V8 in the UK.
Not as many as the US probably, but still quite a few. Various Mercs, Audi, BMW, Porsche, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Range Rover, Land Rover, Vauxhall (VXR8) to name but a few.

Sponsored

TheDivaDanielle

Living the Dream
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danielle
Vehicle(s)
2016 GTPP Vert / 2016 Focus RS
merc, audi, ford, bmw, vauxhall before getting to the expensive stuff.

mattus

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
TVR Tuscan , DIB GT S550, Volvo D6 Polestar
Thx Steve , great update / review; I pick mine up from the same dealer tomorrow morning ! Stuart's on vacation but Marcus is doing the honours .
Looking forward to experiencing some of what you have been doing over the last 4 weeks.
Have fun
matt

DIB, V8 Manual coupe, ceramic + custom pack ...ordered 23/1/15 .....picking up on Christmas Eve !

Jimboy2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mazda Mx5 :(
Thx Steve , great update / review; I pick mine up from the same dealer tomorrow morning ! Stuart's on vacation but Marcus is doing the honours .
Looking forward to experiencing some of what you have been doing over the last 4 weeks.
Have fun
matt

DIB, V8 Manual coupe, ceramic + custom pack ...ordered 23/1/15 .....picking up on Christmas Eve !
I need pictures! Same spec as mine apart from custom pack. You have great taste ;)

OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Note about fuel consumption. Not sure if Ford is smart enough to account for this, but realize UK gallons are bigger than US gallons, so your numbers will be higher than what most of us in the US are reporting.

Figure I post that here before others try argue about (it happens)

Btw, what color do you have? Any plans for mods, or you planning to keep it stock?
I think Ford figured it out.

Stripes added already (See My competition orange v8 thread)
CDC rear window spoiler, boot spoiler and RTR side splitters, being fitted first week in Feb all to be painted gloss black.
Also having all exterior plastics painted gloss black at the same time.

Sponsored

Timewarp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford Focus ST 2.5L
Glad you're enjoying the car.

28 MPG is quite impressive.

I noticed the handbrake on the test drive, and tended to do the same. Used the foot brake rather than touching the sale woman's leg! Quite easy to hold a torquey car on a hill because you can simply lift the clutch a bit to hold it while you move from brake to accelerator, so not a big problem.

slowhand99

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ben
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT Vert Race Red ord 26/03/15 del 24/03/16

I noticed the handbrake on the test drive, and tended to do the same. Used the foot brake rather than touching the sale woman's leg! Quite easy to hold a torquey car on a hill because you can simply lift the clutch a bit to hold it while you move from brake to accelerator, so not a big problem.
I thought we got hill assist?

Manders Mustang

The Boss
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
OP
OP
stevec

stevec

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT!!
Yes, its got hill assist and it works well. I just don't like sitting with foot on the brake too long.

I don't wanna sound like I am moaning about this......its about the only fault I have with this epic car.

20151224_091021_resized.jpg

croyde

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
BMW E36 323

Used the foot brake rather than touching the sale woman's leg!
The same excuse I used for touching the extremely lovely sales woman's leg.

Shame it was an auto as I only got the chance once :lol:
Sponsored