Sponsored

A couple of exhaust questions.

munizfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Hey! So I want to give my exhaust some life, but nothing too loud. My best friend got a Corsa Sport Catback, and I freaking love the tone, but it's too loud on cold start; I live in a Condo complex and my parking is in between 6 Condo buildings, less than 500 feet from my car to the furthest apartment's windows (the owners of 12 apartments would hate me if I got anything too loud) and I usually go to work pretty early.

I understand that the Corsa Sport is the same muffler as the touring, but with a double helix X-pipe, right? What about the Corsa Extreme? Is that another muffler all together? If not, I was wondering if anyone has a Corsa Extreme with stock resonators (or has heard one). I feel like that would be an interesting pairing?

Does the Corsa Touring retain the same tone (or at least very similar) to the Sport?

How's the volume compared to stock?

I'm also considering a Roush with stock resonators, but I still have to hear this in person, all the people I know with Roush have X or H pipes. How's the volume with the stock resonators?

I'm also open to Borlas (excluding ATAK); but most of the videos I've seen have some kind of tin-ny, metallic sound (I don't know if I'm making myself clear, but a couple of friends understand me perfectly). Is this something that goes away after a while?

PS: I do like crackling and pops /giggle

Thanks
Sponsored

Last edited:

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah you got it right.

Corsa Sport catback = Touring axleback + double X-pipe
Corsa Xtreme catback = Sport axleback + double X-pipe

I've had the Sport axleback (Xtreme) with the factory resonator (as well as a resonated X-pipe). It sounds alright but is missing the aggressiveness of the Sport catback. Volume is similar. I've also had the full Xtreme catback before trading mufflers to get the Sport catback. If you're looking for similar to the Sport catback but tamer, I'd try the Touring axleback by itself. A resonated X-pipe with it will sound better than the factory resonator, as would the Borla resonator (resonated H pipe). Start with the tone you want. There are ways to control the volume, including inline bullet resonators.

The Roush is as loud as the Xtreme mufflers, so that's a no go for you. Borlas offerings are nice and definitely aren't captured well on video. Not tinny at all. I like the S type and FP Borla Sport quite a bit. They're really nice down low, though don't have the high rpm music of the Corsa.

hiccup

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT black base PP RECAROS
First try a X or H pipe only with stock mufflers... it just may do it for you.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Not the 15-17 mufflers. They sound like poop with an X-pipe, a tad better with an H. Very tinny.

OP
OP
munizfire

munizfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Yeah you got it right.

Corsa Sport catback = Touring axleback + double X-pipe
Corsa Xtreme catback = Sport axleback + double X-pipe

I've had the Sport axleback (Xtreme) with the factory resonator (as well as a resonated X-pipe). It sounds alright but is missing the aggressiveness of the Sport catback. Volume is similar. I've also had the full Xtreme catback before trading mufflers to get the Sport catback. If you're looking for similar to the Sport catback but tamer, I'd try the Touring axleback by itself. A resonated X-pipe with it will sound better than the factory resonator, as would the Borla resonator (resonated H pipe). Start with the tone you want. There are ways to control the volume, including inline bullet resonators.

The Roush is as loud as the Xtreme mufflers, so that's a no go for you. Borlas offerings are nice and definitely aren't captured well on video. Not tinny at all. I like the S type and FP Borla Sport quite a bit. They're really nice down low, though don't have the high rpm music of the Corsa.
I was secretly hoping you'd chime in. I've seen your name in most exhaust threads I've read. :D
Thanks for clarifying that for me, I just learned something new and will be able to do better youtube research.
Got a couple of questions, tho:
1- How were the pop/crackles while deceleration with the different Corsa setups you've had? Vs Borla/Roush?

2- The Roush AxleBack (with stock resonator) is somewhat similar (volume-wise) to a Sport Axleback, if not louder? :(

3- The tinny sound that I hear from most Borla videos might be a byproduct of the vide/recording device, then?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm kinda new to this

Sponsored

OP
OP
munizfire

munizfire

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
I was originally considering this as well, but didn't find a single video of a x or H pipe in a 2015-17 that convinced me to go that route :/

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I was secretly hoping you'd chime in. I've seen your name in most exhaust threads I've read. :D
Thanks for clarifying that for me, I just learned something new and will be able to do better youtube research.
Got a couple of questions, tho:
1- How were the pop/crackles while deceleration with the different Corsa setups you've had? Vs Borla/Roush?

2- The Roush AxleBack (with stock resonator) is somewhat similar (volume-wise) to a Sport Axleback, if not louder? :(

3- The tinny sound that I hear from most Borla videos might be a byproduct of the vide/recording device, then?

Please excuse my ignorance, I'm kinda new to this
1) The Sport and Xtreme catbacks crackle on decel pretty easily, and I get the occasional pop on upshifts. With any resonated midpipe (stock suitcase, resonated X-pipe) that was all quite minimal/rare. The Borlas do it some as well, although their normal acceleration tone has got some nice, deeper crackle too.

2) Yep. It's a good sound, but quite loud.

3) Not many recording devices capture any of these exhausts well, not to mention that free revving while parked tells you very little about the tone under load.

My strong advice after having a bunch of exhaust setups on my car (including other aftermarket mufflers besides corsa) is to get the one your gut is telling you to get. A lot of us will never be happy and will always yearn for something else if you don't go for that. My current exhaust (Sport catback) was the one I liked the most when I first started looking. Then I tried to cheap out and went the painful route of learning.

Jay-rod427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT C/S
Currently workin up some ZL1 active mufflers will be interesting how they sound opened and closed with no cats, h-pipe, and vibrants.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I had roush axlebacks with a stock x-pipe. It was "loud" on cold startup, let's say a 5/10, with 10 being dumped longtubes. The roush sound very mean, but there is some drone to them. medium throttle = medium noise, and heavy throttle = very loud...

..but

it is a raspy system. I love it, but it is without a doubt raspy. Wanting even more rasp, I got an x-pipe with no resonators. I got it...and then some...Startup was 8/10 loud. Your neighbors would absolutely call the cops on you. I made pvc "startup" mufflers that I slipped over the rear tips so I could start it up and only have irritated neighbors. After the car settled down, I took off the PVC mufflers and went on my way. But, it was obnoxiously loud. Like, scared to go more than 50% throttle because cops would be on you like flies on crap.

So, I welded in some dynomax bullets between the X and the roush axleback. It took a lot of the rasp away and it did make it quieter but now it drones pretty bad. All in all, I don't like it. I'm now planning on going with (only) a Magnaflow tru-x resonator, and then fabbing up my own side exit exhaust. I hope it's not crazy loud, and I hope a lot of rasp will come through.

In general though, H-pipe will give you a deeper growl, and a large-body fiberglass-packed muffler (e.g. "straight through"...Magnaflow/dynomax) will give you a much smoother, deeper sound.

But...

The startup craziness can be tuned out by a custom tuner (Bama and Steeda won't do it). Or, you can do it yourself with SCT or HP Tuners. Then, you can get the system you want for sound, and not worry about whatever system you get being twice as loud, only long enough to tick off the neighbors, and then get quiet again...

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
I had roush axlebacks with a stock x-pipe. It was "loud" on cold startup, let's say a 5/10, with 10 being dumped longtubes. The roush sound very mean, but there is some drone to them. medium throttle = medium noise, and heavy throttle = very loud...

..but

it is a raspy system. I love it, but it is without a doubt raspy. Wanting even more rasp, I got an x-pipe with no resonators. I got it...and then some...Startup was 8/10 loud. Your neighbors would absolutely call the cops on you. I made pvc "startup" mufflers that I slipped over the rear tips so I could start it up and only have irritated neighbors. After the car settled down, I took off the PVC mufflers and went on my way. But, it was obnoxiously loud. Like, scared to go more than 50% throttle because cops would be on you like flies on crap.

So, I welded in some dynomax bullets between the X and the roush axleback. It took a lot of the rasp away and it did make it quieter but now it drones pretty bad. All in all, I don't like it. I'm now planning on going with (only) a Magnaflow tru-x resonator, and then fabbing up my own side exit exhaust. I hope it's not crazy loud, and I hope a lot of rasp will come through.

In general though, H-pipe will give you a deeper growl, and a large-body fiberglass-packed muffler (e.g. "straight through"...Magnaflow/dynomax) will give you a much smoother, deeper sound.

But...

The startup craziness can be tuned out by a custom tuner (Bama and Steeda won't do it). Or, you can do it yourself with SCT or HP Tuners. Then, you can get the system you want for sound, and not worry about whatever system you get being twice as loud, only long enough to tick off the neighbors, and then get quiet again...
You need that Xtreme life man.

Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
I hate drone. That said, the best drove free exhaust setup I ever ran with tone was an H-pipe with 2010-2012 GT500 mufflers on my 14 FI setup. I bought this 17 with the Roush exhaust and X-pipe on it. No drone, but it was way too loud for my liking and too exotic sounding. Would be ideal if the car was Italian built. My experience with the Roush exhaust with cats on an S197 platform briefly and on this 17 assures me OP would love this setup. Sorry I sold my whole setup cleaned and tips polished with 4000 miles on it for $350 including the Roush X-pipe and the stock midsections. Find yourself one of these if you don't live in some highly regulated state, or just try the axle backs if you live in the 47-49 more relaxed states. Sorry CA this setup is too loud for your laws.

Monopoly

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2012 Civic Si
Went from Borla Stype catback to Touring buying the resonator. The Stype cold starts are very loud. Touring cold starts sound like the Stype when engine is warm. Not loud.

So now I have the best of both worlds. Touring sounds great just driving around till you floor it. Then it sounds really tame. I may switch back to x-pipe but now I have options!

TheDonPuzo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
I have a full xtreme set up I just took off my 2016... has 500-600 miles. Let me know if you’d be in the market. Tips aren’t pictured. But they are mint too.
9C6D444C-5F2E-45CC-957E-3450481EFBA4.jpeg
E941B556-6D87-42F1-89A1-E78408F391AF.jpeg
Sponsored