A/C Pressures Wildly Fluctuating

OP
OP

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Premium Performance Pack
A video link has been added to the bottom of the first post by the way.
Sponsored

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
Another dumb question: is the fan even turning on? The video looks like the condenser is making no attempts to condense.

OP
OP

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Another dumb question: is the fan even turning on? The video looks like the condenser is making no attempts to condense.
The under hood fans? Yeah they are both running in the whole video. I show that at the end but I don't expect anyone to sit through all 16 minutes of it haha.

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
So based on your experience, is what's happening to me a possible expansion valve problem?
That is crazy readings on the video 😆. That acts like it has non condensables. But, if I were you and if you have the tools. My first step, since I do not trust others work, would be to recover the system. Pull a high suction, and charge with recommended capacity, then test. But, I do not think it is a TXV problem.

Richard

OP
OP

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
That is crazy readings on the video 😆. That acts like it has non condensables. But, if I were you and if you have the tools. My first step, since I do not trust others work, would be to recover the system. Pull a high suction, and charge with recommended capacity, then test. But, I do not think it is a TXV problem.

Richard
I have the tools available and decent knowledge of how to use them. I might do that first just to keep it simple. At this point though I'm expecting a ruptured desiccant bag and contamination through the whole system. No matter what the issue is though, I'll be doing the work myself because, like you, I don't trust other's work, especially when it comes to my baby. I may end up in prison if I found a scratch on it that wasn't self inflicted.

Sponsored

OP
OP

JakePSD

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Important question, if I do recover the system and pull a vacuum on it, is it necessary to add any oil back in? Or is the oil unaffected by doing said procedures?

mrgooden

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
Recovering refrigerant and pulling a vacuum will not remove the oil. To much oil will result in the system not being able to perform as well as it should and not enough will shorten the compressor life.. I would replace the dryer, orifice tube, if feeling froggy drain the compressor and condensor, flush the rest of the components. Don't try to flush the condensor, condenser flus on modern condensers are so small it is useless. My opinion. Better to replace if they get contaminated. Then add recommended oil volume per the manual. Lots of work, you don't know how much oil is in there if others worked on it. But, I do anything for my baby. She may not. Be special, but she is special to me.

Back in the R12 Days, dryer, orfice tube, pull vacuum add a can of oil and send it.

Disclaimer 😆

I no longer frequently work on ACs now. Hopefully, some modern technicians chime in with more experience on cars.

Richard
Sponsored