Sponsored

A/C buzzing noise... fixed

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT 50th anniversary
Hey guys, I know many other members here had that AC annoying noise, the buzzing noise like a small supercharger or a chevy power steering lol... i had a $900 service quote to replace ac compressor, belts, recharge, etc. but a friend of mine, who is a service manager at a mechanic shop specialized on high end car asked me if when i had my AC serviced when the noise started a few years ago, if they added oil or just Freon... i had no idea, so he checked the car for me, put it on the vacuum machine for 20 min, added oil and freon and then a pressure test...

The noise is completely gone, AC is ice cold and he did that for free! He said it's pretty common for shops to just add freon when they service the AC in some cars, and in the mustang case, we need certain amount of oil.

If you have that issue, take it to a shop and ask them to service the system and add the ac compressor oil... it may save you some good money.
Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I have similar issue as you described. The dealer said that my compressor is leaking and needs to be replaced. I'm curious if the solution you mentioned would hold up over time(hopefully it does). The dealer asked for $1800 in my case.

OP
OP
vanquishvzla

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I have similar issue as you described. The dealer said that my compressor is leaking and needs to be replaced. I'm curious if the solution you mentioned would hold up over time(hopefully it does). The dealer asked for $1800 in my case.
why so expensive? I was getting an oem compressor, dryer, valve, belts, etc... they are raping you on labor or something.

Last time i recharged the A/c system was about 2 years ago, and the ac was cold when we did the new freon+oil

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
18 Cayman GTS, 15 Explorer Sport , 09 Honda Fit
Mine is at the dealer now. I am being told the compressor failed because of debris in the system clogged up the high pressure side and the compressor is leaking oil now . Depending on how much debris / damage there is , I could be looking at up to a $2400 repair. I'm supposed to know today.

OP
OP
vanquishvzla

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
damn! here is the list for my quote: (i'm getting everything at cost)

oem a/c comp: $350.95
Drive belt- air cond: $19.04
Drive belt - water pump: $24.46
oem Expansion Valve: $32.44
oem Drier: $35.89
Shop supplies: $23.60

Labor (R&R A/C comp, expansion valve, drier, complete charge): 5.4 hours

total: $813.62

Sponsored

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
why so expensive? I was getting an oem compressor, dryer, valve, belts, etc... they are raping you on labor or something.

Last time i recharged the A/c system was about 2 years ago, and the ac was cold when we did the new freon+oil
Yeah, they were trying to rape me, that's why I didn't have them repair it. The service writer was asking $900 for the compressor and the rest for labor.I found the compressor for $380 on Levittown ford parts earlier so I asked for detailed breakdown of the quote and he was avoiding it and finally said okay I'll give you $100 discount :)) . I hated his attitude , so I just took back my car and left. I'll have it fixed eventually somewhere else.

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
Still waiting to hear , but this is what they have listed :
04Customer PayNot CompleteEVACUATE, RECLAIM & RECHARGE A/C SYSTEM
05Customer PayNot CompleteA/C EXPANSION VALVE, R&R (ADD EVACUATE & RECHARGE)
06Customer PayNot CompleteACCUMULATOR, R&R (ADD EVACUATE & RECHARGE)
07Customer PayNot CompleteFLUSH AC SYSTEM
08Customer PayNot CompleteCOMPRESSOR, R&R NEW/FQR (ADD EVACUATE & RECHARGE)
24Customer PayNot CompleteCOMPLIMENTARY MULTI-POINT INSPECTION
25Customer PayNot CompleteYOU AGREE THAT WE MAY CONTACT YOU REGARDING CUSTOMER SERVICE UPDATES OR OFFERS VIA TEXT. IF YOU DO NOT AGREE, YOU MAY PROVIDE A LANDLINE NUMBER.
27Customer PayNot CompleteTHIS COVERS TECHNICIAN'S 1ST HOUR TO DIAGNOSE THE FOLLOWING: ANY WARNING LIGHTS,NOISES OR ELECTRICAL CONCERN. MAY REQUIRE FURTHER DIAGNOSIS

ANGST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
And.... $ 2,123.06

FML ....

I almost bought a new car this weekend , but it sold before I could put a deposit down . I was waiting for this one to be fixed

OP
OP
vanquishvzla

vanquishvzla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hell No! it will be cheaper to transport the car to our shop, get it fixed and send it back lol

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I took it to another dealership in which one of my friends work but it's like 100 miles away. It turned out that the first dealership who quoted me $1800 for AC Compressor replacement totally misdiagnosed it completely. My friend called this morning and said that our technician tested everything for leaks in compressor, condenser , lines and dryer and there were absolutely no leaks there. However the system was missing almost a pound of refrigerant. So they used refrigerant sniffer machine inside the cabin and long and behold, the evaporator is leaking and they confirmed it visually as well. If I wasn't knee deep in the modifications I would have sold it by now :D Dammit Ford!!!!

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
The dealership called and said that the technician doesn’t want to work on my car because has custom sound system and he doesn’t want to assume the responsibility. I guess I’ll have to do it myself :headbang:
Sponsored