Sponsored

93 Octane and higher

wproctor411

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 GT
E85 is a two edged sword, it can be great, or it can be dirty garbage if your car sits for long periods of time when you forget to run it all out. I like race fuels and aviation fuels. 100 low lead or a good 110-115 leaded race gas will keep it clean and help prevent knock on hot track day runs and the fuel blends tend to be more consistent (which is more of a gas station issue than refinery issue). You won't find water or contaminants in aviation and most racing fuels. The only downsides to leaded fuel is pollution and it's poison to the touch (extra lead in the blood), you have to remove the catalytic converters (they will clog from the cleaning),replace the plugs and sensors more frequently (corrode sensors and the insulator on spark plugs).
Sponsored

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
You might be thinking of ethanol that moden fuel systems are compatible with?

For E85, not only do you need a larger injector but you also need fuel pumps that can move the volume of fuel that you require. It wouldn't surprise me if parts of the OE fuel system were not designed for that.

No e85.. There is tons of people down here in Miami running e85 with upgraded injectors on there mustangs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Myshelby3425

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
A catless GT350....I would only imagine would sound pretty crappy. I'm curious to hear the first one but I have a feeling it's going to be horrible.

Most people that go with long tubes and full exhaust have no cats. They sound great

Resonator and muffler cleans it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A catless GT350....I would only imagine would sound pretty crappy. I'm curious to hear the first one but I have a feeling it's going to be horrible.
I'll be one of them just to experience and decide if I like it or not. If I don't, I'll sell the mid pipe and lesson learned. I have NO plans on going with long tubes though. The headers from the factory look like pretty radical pieces already and dealing with "emissions" in my area, much less the install, is just a pain in the ass. I'll use the money for further weight reduction and fine tuning of any other systems I find that can be tweaked. And wheels and tires. Definite tires. Lots of tires...

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
Would it be better to run a non top tier gas that is pure 93 octane or use a top tier gas that contains ethonal? In Charleston there are a few gas stations that sell 93 octane with no ethonal. Thanks
There are pluses and minuses to each. For better fuel economy no ethanol is better. If the ECU adjusts properly, the additional volume of ethanol being dumped in has a greater cooling effect and so you will probably make more power with more ethanol.

E85 is a two edged sword, it can be great, or it can be dirty garbage if your car sits for long periods of time when you forget to run it all out. I like race fuels and aviation fuels. 100 low lead or a good 110-115 leaded race gas will keep it clean and help prevent knock on hot track day runs and the fuel blends tend to be more consistent (which is more of a gas station issue than refinery issue). You won't find water or contaminants in aviation and most racing fuels. The only downsides to leaded fuel is pollution and it's poison to the touch (extra lead in the blood), you have to remove the catalytic converters (they will clog from the cleaning),replace the plugs and sensors more frequently (corrode sensors and the insulator on spark plugs).
All true and agreed.

Sponsored

526AmF

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Avalanche Gray, Tech pkg, White stripes
would 91 no ethanol be better than 93 Octane with 10% ethanol ?

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
would 91 no ethanol be better than 93 Octane with 10% ethanol ?
Depends on what your definition of better is.

No ethanol = better fuel economy.

Higher octane = better power.

Also, ethanol has a greater cooling effect compared to pure gasoline that will not be a bad thing at the track.

chuckty101

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shelby GT350 Shadow Black
In Canada with get Petro Canada (Sunoco) 94 Octane with 10% ethanol.
Sponsored