Sponsored

9-speaker configuration vs 12

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2007 Mustang Conv V6 4.0; 2016 BMW 340i
I wasn't too impressed with the sound in a GT Premium I test drove a while back. I am researching whether or not to order a premium with 9 speakers, or pay extra for 12. I might replace some speakers in case I really don't like it.

I did that myself for my 2007 Convertible Premium: It has two 5x7's in the front and two 8" door subs. The back has two 5x7's as well. I used JL Audio C2-570x speakers all around. I just replaced the 4 speakers, not the 2 door subs (those subs have special wiring and power requirements). I kept the factory headunit and amp. The distortion was gone and the system is really great afterwards.

From what I quickly gather from limited info online, the S550 Premium system adds an 8+1-channel amplifier and has the following 9 speakers:
* Center speaker (size?)
* Two tweeters in the front
* Four 6.5" door speakers at the front (2 each side)
* Two 6.5" speakers in the rear

The 12-speaker system adds:
* Two coaxial woofers in the rear (size?)
* Trunk-mounted subwoofer

Is this correct? What are the sizes of the center speaker? And the sizes rear coax woofers from the 12-speaker system?

Are the 12-speaker system rear woofers like the door subs in the S197? The two door subs in the S197 are actually not bad (only the speakers were crap).

Also, do the speakers use the normal ford harnesses as the S197 or have the connectors changed?
Sponsored

mkenny28

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2015 Magnetic Mustang GT Premium Convertible
I wasn't too impressed with the sound in a GT Premium I test drove a while back. I am researching whether or not to order a premium with 9 speakers, or pay extra for 12. I might replace some speakers in case I really don't like it.

I did that myself for my 2007 Convertible Premium: It has two 5x7's in the front and two 8" door subs. The back has two 5x7's as well. I used JL Audio C2-570x speakers all around. I just replaced the 4 speakers, not the 2 door subs (those subs have special wiring and power requirements). I kept the factory headunit and amp. The distortion was gone and the system is really great afterwards.

From what I quickly gather from limited info online, the S550 Premium system adds an 8+1-channel amplifier and has the following 9 speakers:
* Center speaker (size?)
* Two tweeters in the front
* Four 6.5" door speakers at the front (2 each side)
* Two 6.5" speakers in the rear

The 12-speaker system adds:
* Two coaxial woofers in the rear (size?)
* Trunk-mounted subwoofer

Is this correct? What are the sizes of the center speaker? And the sizes rear coax woofers from the 12-speaker system?

Are the 12-speaker system rear woofers like the door subs in the S197? The two door subs in the S197 are actually not bad (only the speakers were crap).

Also, do the speakers use the normal ford harnesses as the S197 or have the connectors changed?
There are a couple threads on this already with some pretty good info, plus Stoli has more pictures and info in the Member Project section:

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12763

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=14228

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
I drove a car with the Shaker system and wasn't impressed. I decided to go with the 9 speaker and just add in a small sub.

OP
OP
dude

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I probably should have mentioned that I don't care or want really loud thumping bass. I care more for quality clean sound. I was wondering if the 6.5" door speakers adequately provide bass? I don't mind changing them myself with better 6.5's.

If the 9-speaker system has crappy bass, then I might just get the 12-speaker one and maybe replace the 6.5's with some JL audio speakers. The 12-speaker comes with those two extra woofers in the rear plus the trunk sub. I prefer to get a stock rear sub rather than go and get a custom box made.

wireless

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Oxford White Ecoboost Premium
I'm sure you can power some replacement speakers with an amp to get some bass. I have no idea how many channels this car actually uses, but if it's more than 4 a decent amp will be pricey and the wiring will be a pain lol.

I'm not a fan of thumping bass either, but the stock system is severely lacking IMO. It needs SOMETHING to fill the gap.

Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
OP
OP
dude

dude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I don't want to mess with wiring or changing amps. That would bring another whole can of worms. Sometimes it is unnecessary.

The factory amp in premium (for both 9-speaker or 12-speaker) is 8+1-channel. I think there's another amp added for the 12.

Bryman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the 9 speaker premium system. It sucks and has weak bass. Do you know where the amp is?

sandpiper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I have the 9 speaker system and it is weak.

I think the problem is no response from the rear speakers. When I isolate the front speakers, it sounds ok. When I isolate the rears, there is really no volume and absolutely no bass.

I am wondering if I just replace the rears with a couple of high quality 6.5's how much of a difference it will make?
Sponsored