Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.torsen.com
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
1999 Cobra Convertible, Electric Green
That's a lot of clams for a carrier that isn't necessarily stronger. I mean, it may be, but the OEM Super 8.8" is one of the stoutest axles I've seen in this size range, based on impact test results. The conversion appears to use 33 spline axles, whereas the stock is already 34 spline (stronger). The area where a 9" has its advantages is in the pinion support; the 3rd pinion bearing goes a long way to keep it from deflecting under load. But it does so at the cost of differential packaging. That 3rd bearing cuts into space the differential case normally would have, and necessarily compromises the diff case. With a spool, it isn't a big deal. Beyond that, it becomes a potential issue. The pinion gear on the Super 8.8 is substantially beefed up over the old 8.8, but I can't quantify how that compares to the 9".

The Cobra Jet S550 cars do use the 9" axle, but they use it as a traditional live axle (not in an IRS form like this kit). I've visited Watson Engineering and looked at how they do the conversion, and its impressive. But I'm not sure that this conversion here gets you something that's on the same level for drag performance, and someone would have to work hard to convince me that the advantages it does have justifies the cost. Just my $0.02...

Anthony@HTM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350 Track Pack
Unless your going into the 8s and it's a car you drag once a month or more then I think you may want to reconsider.

Kelly at BMR went pretty far on the stock diff minus the alumnium casing on the auto car

OP
OP

Obsessed

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT
Reason I was even looking at it was that someone said it got rid of the diff noise with BMR bushings. Also I was looking at switching out the center section anyway when I supercharge her ($900 for clutch based diff with 3.31 gears).
Sponsored