Sponsored

'86 Coupe Project

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
I wanted to share my 1986 Mustang Coupe rebuild/swap project with the M6G forum. This is my 6th Mustang, 5th Foxbody, 2nd 4-eye'd fox. I had an '85 GT that was a bit of a street/grudge machine back in the early 2000's. I haven't really been too active with my S550, because I've been overseas for a little while now. I picked up an '86 coupe prior to leaving and am going to be swapping out the 2.3L engine, 4 speed manual & 7.5" rear for a V8(306, 347 or 408 :shrug:), 5 speed, and 8.8" rear w/3:73's. I was going to coyote swap, but decided against it. The plan for this car is to keep it a little original, but also change some things for the better. I'm not trying to build a crazy fast race car, just something with about 350hp that I can cruise around, get some thumbs up in :thumbsup:, and wrench on with the kids.

The car was in great shape for an '86 when I bought it. While I've been deployed, I had it sent out to get paint and body work done instead of just letting it sit. I must say, it turned out AMAZING! I went with the original paint color scheme sans red pin stripes. I couldn't believe my eyes when I first saw the finished product over FaceTime :eyebulge: My stepson hugged the rear bumper and said "its so perfect, I love this car" :lol: (he's 4). The old lady took a couple pictures for me, they're not the greatest, I know:lol:, but I definitely owe her so much for taking care of this project for me while I've been gone :first:. When I get back I will take more photos/video and try and do as many "before and afters" as I can.

The first thing I'm going to tackle is the ENTIRE rear end of the car, then move to the front suspension/brake system. This way I can get it on a staggered set of 17" Chrome Pony R wheels and tires. Once that's all set up, I'll go ahead and dive into the engine, transmission, etc. The interior will take a 'back seat':ninja: for now since it's in fairly decent shape. It eventually needs carpet, a sun visor is broken and the gauge cluster could use some freshening up.

If you guys/gals have any recommendations/thoughts, what you like, what you don't, I'd love to get some feedback! My plan is to set up a YouTube series of the build and also post on Instagram about it. If you guys want to follow along, please do. I'll post the YouTube stuff when I get around to making it. For now I will be parts gathering and starting wrench work around Christmas. Photos attached are what it looked like before, in the paint booth, and then then the finished product. Hope you guys like it, Thanks for checking it out!:cheers:

-Daniel
Mustang before.jpg
Mustang after.jpg
Mustang 1.jpg
Mustang 2.jpg
Sponsored

bluebeastsrt

Oh boy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
BigD
Vehicle(s)
Ruby red 2019 GT Premium.
That would make a nice race car. Stroker, big shot of nitrous. Hell ya.

Sponsored

Firepath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brad
Vehicle(s)
Nothing special yet
Thanks for sharing. You know as I get older I get more interested in restorations and mods of cars that I may not even be that into, and the project may not be that extensive or "perfect" (totally stripped bare, clean, painted, everything going back in being new and shiny, etc).

Just improving or restoring something gives you a sense of accomplishment and fulfillment.

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
I'm a four-eyed Fox fan too. Love these cars. Hard to find good examples these days. Build should be fun.

Have my own '86 Resto-mod/Pro-T car. It's a vert. Mine is designed for autocross, HPDE/PDX, and street. Not seeing a drag strip. As a result, it has the full MM suspension front/rear. I also flared the fenders to fit 18x11s with 315s all around. Motor is a 347(9) stroker, w/T5. StopTech 4-piston, 14" rotors up front; Cobra 11.65" in back. Right now it's waiting for the motor.

Good luck with your build.

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Are you attempting to do this outside? You're a better man than I am. I worked on a car outside about 30 years ago and swore I'd never do it again.

Nice car, good luck with the build.

OP
OP
daniel_94kg

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
Are you attempting to do this outside? You're a better man than I am. I worked on a car outside about 30 years ago and swore I'd never do it again.

Nice car, good luck with the build.
Yes, I'm doing the whole thing outside, with hand tools, by myself, with limited help from the wife and my 9 year old son(who mainly just sits in the drivers seat and pretends he's driving it, while continually asking me if I can give it to him when he gets his license).

It's a nice challenge to keep my occupied. Thanks for the comments!

OP
OP
daniel_94kg

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
[ame]

pulled the engine and trans out over the last few days. now to clean it all up and paint under the hood

Sponsored

Mike02z

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Ford Explorer Platinum
Yes, I'm doing the whole thing outside, with hand tools, by myself, with limited help from the wife and my 9 year old son(who mainly just sits in the drivers seat and pretends he's driving it, while continually asking me if I can give it to him when he gets his license).

It's a nice challenge to keep my occupied. Thanks for the comments!
That's pretty impressive Daniel. I'll stay tuned to see how the build progresses:thumbsup:

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Dang dude, I'm having a blast watching this, love a good restoration and the way you're incrementally documenting it is terrific.

OP
OP
daniel_94kg

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
OP
OP
daniel_94kg

daniel_94kg

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ford Mustang 5.0
[ame]

Should have the 8.8" rear all buttoned up this weekend and then I'm going to start prepping under the hood for the new engine!

Stam616

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang V6 51A Mag Gray Metallic
Very nice! Had a friend that put a 5.0 in a 84 coupe and it came out great! Looking forward to seeing it finished!
Sponsored