Sponsored

6r80 transmision fluid and filter change. Only 6 quarts?

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Good evening
Last week I decided to have the fluid of the 6R80 transmission box changed at an official Ford dealer. Although Ford says it should be changed every 150,000 miles, on the recommendation of many owners, I've wanted to change it at 36,000 miles.
The guy from Ford was very kind and allowed me to be present throughout the process at all times. Removed transmission pan, cleaned 2(!) magnets, changed filter, new gasket and bolted back on, then added LV fluid, started car, shifted to all gears, added more fluid, then test drive until reaching 91ÂşC, with the car engine started, it is checked again with the dipstick and it is filled up to position B. Everything was done according to the manual, but my doubt is that after all that process only 6 quarts have been used!. The pity is that we could not verify how much fluid was removed from the car because there was not time to put the bucket, it immediately began to pour liquid on the ground. In all the forums I've seen people tend to use at least 7 quarts or more. What could have happened to only use 6 quarts? Will there be a big problem if in the end a little less fluid has been filled in than what is needed? I would appreciate your opinion, if I can keep calm or have to recheck (it is not comfortable to see that dipstick at high temperature)
Sponsored

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
All depends how quickly the service is performed. If you let it sit for 24hrs, you’d probably get 10 quarts out of it.

I’ve dropped the pan, swapped the filter in 15 min, and only got around 4 .5 quarts back in.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
All depends how quickly the service is performed. If you let it sit for 24hrs, you’d probably get 10 quarts out of it.

I’ve dropped the pan, swapped the filter in 15 min, and only got around 4 .5 quarts back in.
Interesting information. so the time taken to change the filter and replace the pan influences the amount of fluid that must be replaced. In my case the time spent would not be more than 30 or 40 minutes. The funny thing is that I did not expect that so mucho fluid could continue to flow out due to gravity. Before putting the pan on I took a picture of the AT and I didn't notice that fluid was still falling, just a few drops about to fall, perhaps due to its density it will take time for them to continue falling. thanks for your answer.

By the way, I saw your post about changing parts of your gearbox. it worked?

sk47

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Chevy Silverado & Nissan Sentra SE
Hello; Some fluid is trapped inside the converter for one place. So you do not get all the fluid out anyway. There may be other places which trap some oil.
After a frustrating removal of a transmission pan and filter change on my truck at 50 K miles I bought a suction pump. A slender plastic tube will fit inro the fill tube for the transmission. I can pump oy about 3 1/2 quarts that way. I do this at least once a year which is maybe 4K miles on my truck. Not the same as a filter change to be sure but gets some clean fresh fluid in and some old fluid out.

See you owner's manual for checking fluid. Usually it is checked when hot and in park after running it in drive and then reverse.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Hello; Some fluid is trapped inside the converter for one place. So you do not get all the fluid out anyway. There may be other places which trap some oil.
After a frustrating removal of a transmission pan and filter change on my truck at 50 K miles I bought a suction pump. A slender plastic tube will fit inro the fill tube for the transmission. I can pump oy about 3 1/2 quarts that way. I do this at least once a year which is maybe 4K miles on my truck. Not the same as a filter change to be sure but gets some clean fresh fluid in and some old fluid out.

See you owner's manual for checking fluid. Usually it is checked when hot and in park after running it in drive and then reverse.
Thanks. I saw the manual, I memorized It. The procedure was done the same way as explained. I know a lot of fluid remains on the parts of the AT. My only concern is that they only could fill 6 quarts while the "mean" of the threads I searched was 7-8 quarts.
Sponsored