Sponsored

6r80 strange whine

danny0441

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt DIB
im having an issue lately my car is a 2015 mustang gt with the 6r80 transmission, and 3.55 rear end option. ive noticed for quite some time that im getting a very faint hum/whine sound. at first i noticed it only on the hwy between 50-65 mph, it was only audible when accelerating but after some digging ive been able to pinpoint more on the issue. ive realized that i only get this hum/whine when the transmission is in 6th gear, i also only get the noise once the trans is warmed up. for example when the trans is at 150-170 degrees noise is not there when its in the warmer temps like 180-200 degrees is when the noise is audible, the noise is also only present when traveling in 6th gear at any speed between 40-65 mph. i accelerate to 70 mph its gone if i let off the gas the noise is still present but less audible. once i accelerate again as long as im in 6th gear it makes the noise untill the rpms climb past 1500-1700 rpm. im a little confused if i should be concerned. car is driving fine and before i hand it off to the dealer id like to get some opinions.

thank you
Sponsored

Last edited:

M249b

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chuck
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang gt
Did anyone find a reason for this? I have the exact it same thing occurring.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
100% sure it’s the transmission? The rear ends in these cars aren’t exactly whisper quiet, and when the fluids warm up in the tranny/rear end to full operating temperatures, there’s going to be some audible drivetrain whine. Even more if you have ANY drivetrain/suspension upgrades….
Sponsored