Sponsored

5 previous owners a just a huge red flag?

Aks550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ak
Vehicle(s)
2023 s550
Looking at a 2020 GT500, black, tech package, CF dash package, vented seats, 14780 miles, dealer's willing to do 84k even down from 86k. Seemed pretty good. Checked the Carfax last night and it's had 5 previous owners. That seems kinda crazy and not sure if that's a red flag. Some of them looked brief and it was an auction at one point so I dunno if it was just bought and flipped a few times or what. Everything else on the Carfax looks good, all regular maintenance was done, only thing extra I saw was a comment about being in for new cats. Clean title, warranty active.

Talked to a buddy that has a Shelby and pretty much lives and breathes performance cars that said that's a big red flag for him and to get a 3rd party inspection but if it checks out that's a good deal with the current market. That being said would a 3rd party inspection even matter? I've heard Ford is really good on the warranties on Shelby's.

Had found another one, about the same price, 12k miles, performance blue with white stripes and was working a deal and I get an email from the dealer saying they were selling it as we speak.

So these lower priced ones definitely don't stick around long but I've seen this black one available for weeks.
U want to play gotta to pay. U want first owner? Pay more! U want no history no problem buy new with Mark up!

Be realistic of your expectation for the amount money u willing or can afford to pay!
Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium M6
I don't see any problem with it. One or two of the previous owners probably lost their job after they bought it. Or the rising price of gas or fear of the approaching EV market made them jump ship. A couple probably flipped it for some money. And here we are at 5 that easily.

This might have been a red flag in a Pre-Pandemic world and before the EV March. But the world we're in now, everything is off the table. Nothing quite makes sense like it did 5 years ago.

FTR, mine had 6K miles and 6 previous owners when I got it. But it was a smoking hot deal, had every option I wanted, and every similarly optioned version out there with the same miles was easily over $10K more. So I bought it sight unseen. Figured what the hay. BTW, at tge time I was looking for a brand new one and was willing to pay as much as $10K over. But perhaps I kinda felt bad for this car having been passed around and maybe I just wanted her to have the forever home that she deserves. Call it silly, I know how it sounds. But I fell in love with it from the first video the salesman sent as she sat there idling. Anyway I put 6K miles on it and it is an absolute dream to drive. It drives completely perfect and has no flaws whatsoever. Even now it feels like a brand new car.

So it's really up to you if you want to take a chance or not. You could get lucky like I did, or it might be a disaster. If your instincts are telling you to run, then run and keep searching for a good deal. But she deserves a good home too.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
2020 HE GT350R, 2022 HE Gt500 Cftp
You bought a Gt500 for a smoking hot deal?

I don't see any problem with it. One or two of the previous owners probably lost their job after they bought it. Or the rising price of gas or fear of the approaching EV market made them jump ship. A couple probably flipped it for some money. And here we are at 5 that easily.

This might have been a red flag in a Pre-Pandemic world and before the EV March. But the world we're in now, everything is off the table. Nothing quite makes sense like it did 5 years ago.

FTR, mine had 6K miles and 6 previous owners when I got it. But it was a smoking hot deal, had every option I wanted, and every similarly optioned version out there with the same miles was easily over $10K more. So I bought it sight unseen. Figured what the hay. BTW, at tge time I was looking for a brand new one and was willing to pay as much as $10K over. But perhaps I kinda felt bad for this car having been passed around and maybe I just wanted her to have the forever home that she deserves. Call it silly, I know how it sounds. But I fell in love with it from the first video the salesman sent as she sat there idling. Anyway I put 6K miles on it and it is an absolute dream to drive. It drives completely perfect and has no flaws whatsoever. Even now it feels like a brand new car.

So it's really up to you if you want to take a chance or not. You could get lucky like I did, or it might be a disaster. If your instincts are telling you to run, then run and keep searching for a good deal. But she deserves a good home too.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You bought a Gt500 for a smoking hot deal?
Yea, I feel like it was a great deal. The only one at that time that I could find cheaper was a lemon buyback. All the others with similar miles and options were priced much higher. And actually, I thought those were all good deals too. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
How about some details. I’ve seen quite a few buy backs on 350’s and 500’s that should never of been bought back. A lot had to do with parts availability due to what was going on the last few years.

Yea, I feel like it was a great deal. The only one at that time that I could find cheaper was a lemon buyback. All the others with similar miles and options were priced much higher. And actually, I thought those were all good deals too. I guess it depends on how you look at it.

Sponsored

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
How about some details. I’ve seen quite a few buy backs on 350’s and 500’s that should never of been bought back. A lot had to do with parts availability due to what was going on the last few years.
I have no details. As soon as I saw it was a buy back I went on to the next car. I figured I'm not buying it so the details don't matter. It could've been a squeaky gas cap for all I care.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
I was referring to the 500 you said you bought.

I have no details. As soon as I saw it was a buy back I went on to the next car. I figured I'm not buying it so the details don't matter. It could've been a squeaky gas cap for all I care.

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I was referring to the 500 you said you bought.
That's a bit personal don't you think? I mentioned the price difference between the one I bought and all the others. I mentioned that the only ones that were cheaper all had lemon law issues. That is more than enough info.

Back to the point. A car with multiple owners over the Pandemic years should not be cause for concern. But if it is something that a potential buyer cannot abide, then I suggest finding one with less owners. Or a brand new one if possible.

Inthehighdesert

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Charlie
Vehicle(s)
Then post a pic of the car.

That's a bit personal don't you think? I mentioned the price difference between the one I bought and all the others. I mentioned that the only ones that were cheaper all had lemon law issues. That is more than enough info.

Back to the point. A car with multiple owners over the Pandemic years should not be cause for concern. But if it is something that a potential buyer cannot abide, then I suggest finding one with less owners. Or a brand new one if possible.

Sponsored

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
You think I'm lying? It's ok, you can come out and say it.
No one is calling you a liar as you have been on here for a long time....but if I had a GT500 it would definitely be listed in my profile along with a nice picture. Just sayin'.

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 1.44.32 PM.png

4V Mayhem

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No one is calling you a liar as you have been on here for a long time....but if I had a GT500 it would definitely be listed in my profile along with a nice picture. Just sayin'.

Screenshot 2023-05-14 at 1.44.32 PM.png
I miss that GT. Wish I kept it. Definitely one of the best cars I ever owned. 😥

greengoblinmach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2023 EG Mach 1
I don’t trust Carfax…2015 I traded in a 2014 Scion Tc to buy an Ecoboost for the wife. The Tc had been in 2 recordable accidents, bad luck car.…When I checked the dealer to see what they were asking the Carfax was clean…no mention of any accidents just a recent oil change.
Same. I recently sold something to Shift. I thought they'd hit me on the one $7K insurance claim on the car. Not only did they not hit me with it, I looked up the car for sale and it said zero accidents and CarFax was clean. Maybe due to time? It was a 2015, accident in 2017 and sold in 2021. But, it definitely bolstered my belief that CarFax should be taken with a grain of salt
Sponsored