4cyl EB reliability

Frank.Herbst

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Frank
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
I recently sold my 2017 GT350 and have been thinking about getting another Mustang but one a little more street focused.

1. How reliable are the 4cyl EB engines? (before any modifications)
2. Does anyone know what the engine differences are between the base EB and the High Performance version?

Thanks,
Frank
Sponsored

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
1.Comparable to other manufactures, better in some instances.........but if you drive like you stole it or mod it then like every other car it’ll have more issues.
2. The absolute best difference is the block design, and iirc you get 330 or so hp stock, selecting the engine also gets some other things in the package. Go on the the ford website for build and pricing it’ll show you everything.

I will more than likely be trading my 17 GT for a HP 2.3 EcoBoost.

Deleted member

1.Comparable to other manufactures, better in some instances.........but if you drive like you stole it or mod it then like every other car it’ll have more issues.
2. The absolute best difference is the block design, and iirc you get 330 or so hp stock, selecting the engine also gets some other things in the package. Go on the the ford website for build and pricing it’ll show you everything.

I will more than likely be trading my 17 GT for a HP 2.3 EcoBoost.
There is no difference in block design between the standard eco and the HPO.

HPO is still open deck
still weak cylinder bracing
still no extra material on the outside of the block between cylinders 2 and 3 behind the turbo...

StealthStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Ecoboost (NX2)
Correct There is no difference in the block on the HiPO. Thickness and dimensions are the same and the liners are the same as well, its the cylinder head gasket thats stronger and the cooling jackets are different too.

As for reliability, outside of some strange issues with the 2015 Valencia built motors, the engine has proved to be very reliable but prone to carbon buildup like all GDI engines.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
True, I should have elaborated. Ford did several things better in the RS engine that are carried over to the new HHP mustang for better reliability and more power.
1.Reduced compression 9.37-1.
2. High Tensile strength cylinder liners.
3. Improved piston rings.
4. Bespoke Cylinder head.
5. New Headgasket.
6. Larger twin scroll turbo
7. 22 psi factory setting.
8. Larger Radiator.
9. Larger intercooler.
10. Speed limiter at 155mph.
11. Full spool at 3000 rpm (versus 3200rpm for the standard eco)
There is no difference in block design between the standard eco and the HPO.

HPO is still open deck
still weak cylinder bracing
still no extra material on the outside of the block between cylinders 2 and 3 behind the turbo...

Sponsored

Blue Moon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Pete
Vehicle(s)
17 Ecoboost Perform Pack Std
I've had mine 3 years and every issue I had was self-inflicted. Take care of it, and it should take care of you.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
I had a prior 2016 EB Prem w/PP and racked up 37k on it before it was bought back by Ford due to persistent driveline vibe issues. Aside from the frigging driveline vibes, that engine was stout with absolutely no issues ever, even when romping on it.

My replacement 2018 EB Prem w/PP now has 32k on it, again with absolutely no issues at all.

If you’re looking to get into an EB, I’d def get the PP option and depending on your budget, the 2018-19’s have not had any reported issues. Plus, starting with the 2018’s there is the 10R80 trans option.

I’ve been getting a consistent 29 mpg with my 2018 - been so since taking delivery of it in Feb 2018.

Bikeman315

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ira
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT/CS, 2021 Volvo XC60
Traded my 15’ EB with 51k miles. Zero issues and little carbon buildup (the new owner checked).

K-Roll302

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Karl
Vehicle(s)
'17 Mustang GT Premium, '80 Porsche 924 Turbo
I've had my 2017 EBPP since 2016 and having been modified according to my sig, I've only had a cylinder head replaced under warranty. Other than that, the last nearly 43,000 miles have been great!

Sponsored

CustomS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 EB Mustang
70k of hard full bolt on miles with 0 mechanical issues. Pennzoil Synthetic oil since the first change.

PRG3k

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Turbo
Most of the old factory issues have been ironed out. The Ecoboost is now Ford's main rental fleet representative as well when it comes to the Mustang. Might not be as dead nuts reliable as the 3.7 V6 it replaced but its probably close.

Maggneto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Turbo Premium PP/Navi/ZF(6R80) Shaker Pro
Correct There is no difference in the block on the HiPO. Thickness and dimensions are the same and the liners are the same as well, its the cylinder head gasket thats stronger and the cooling jackets are different too.

As for reliability, outside of some strange issues with the 2015 Valencia built motors, the engine has proved to be very reliable but prone to carbon buildup like all GDI engines.
Strange reliability issues with Valencia built motors and carbon build up?

Care to enlighten us Valencia engine owners ?

Let me guess, the phantom factory defects including pin holes and improperly.torgued rod bolts? All the ECU tuned ecobooms couldn't possibly be the result of bad tuning or user error right? It must be an engine defect that has remarkably never been identified.

We have been hearing this bullshit for 5 years and there is no physical difference between Valencia and Cleveland engines. Many of the parts for the Cleveland engine are still made in Valencia.

The Valencia engines had a more aggressive factory tune. This is evident in the 0-60 times for early Valencia cars 5.2 through 2016-2017 0-60 in the 6+ range.A Ford engineer also speculated that there was a more aggressive factory tune from Valencia.

Some asshole tuner blamed Valencia engine defects when his tunes started to pop motors in 2015 and simple minds simply regurgitate that bullshit without any proof. Once his tunes starting popping Cleveland engines he ran off to Sheepbook and pulled a disappearing act from M6G.

The more plausible reason for the majority of Valencia and Cleveland engine failures is engine modifications and ECU tuning. It makes sense that the Valencia engines would be subjected to a higher failure rate because some tuners were using there customers cars as test mules. As time went on the tuners started to change their tunes based in the failure data so it makes sense that failure rates would decrease over time as learning increased.

If you have some information regarding the Valencia engines and carbon buildup please share it. I am not aware of any problems with carbon build up on the 2.3 or any Valencia engine abnormalities.

My Ecoboost is serviced at the number 3 Mustang dealership in the country and number 1 roush dealership in the world. The number of failed 2.3 engines at that dealership remains ZERO.
Sponsored

Last edited: