Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
did anyone ever figure out if a direct replacement for the 401a sub ever existed? I'm not looking to mod wiring to get the sub louder or fool with anything. just curious if plug and play replacement exists but is suspect factory amp doesn't have any umph.

also I'm reading about the polyfill and stuffing that in the enclosure. for those of you that have only done the polyfill, what are your opinions before and after? is it worth the trip to hobby lobby to get some?
Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I am going to test the Polk MM840 DVC subwoofer.

The bolt holes do not line up and the sub will bottom against the stop in the back where the factory sub bolts to. I plan on using a 1" MDF spacer ring, drill holes to mount to the enclosure and then secure the MM840 to the spacer ring.

The problem with almost all the aftermarket replacement subwoofers that might/will fit is their efficiency. They are all sub 85db efficient. The MM840 is 90db efficient (not sure if that is 1w/1m or 2.83v/1m though). So it will require less power. The factory amp might be enough to power it.

Although the next problem is the enclosure itself. Estimated at around .4 cu ft and plastic. No matter what sub we put in there it may not sound good. Polyfill will help. Don't put too much though. Too much is just as bad as no fill.

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
Subbing, Landon. I posted a thread similar with little answer. :cheers:

inforresults!

madweazl

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
From everything I've read, the Polk seems to be the best option for using the stock box/amp (thread on here somewhere had a fairly detailed install for this). Think I'm just going to make a custom enclosure for the spare tire well and be done with it (mount the amp where the factory sub is).

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
hmm can't find the thread with that polk install you're talking about madweazl.

don't get me wrong yall I got no complaints with 401a system just need a little more punch that's all. I might try the poly fill first. I'll have the sub box out soon anyways because I'm installing sequential brake lights

I know nothing about this stuff but there is no chance having polyfill in there will start a fire is there?

Sponsored

dwaleke

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Jeep
I know nothing about this stuff but there is no chance having polyfill in there will start a fire is there?
No you will be fine. Don't pack it in. Just put enough in to fill the space loosely and don't put too much right behind the woofer.

Zemedici

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT/PP
hmm can't find the thread with that polk install you're talking about madweazl.

don't get me wrong yall I got no complaints with 401a system just need a little more punch that's all. I might try the poly fill first. I'll have the sub box out soon anyways because I'm installing sequential brake lights

Nah its flame - retardant, let us know how it goes with the Polyfill though :cheers: interested to see results as I'm happy with the 401a as well just want a bit more of a bass bump.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
I had my shaker sub lined with a dynamat type sound absorber. This gives the plastic box a little more rigidity and dampens vibrations and made a decent improvement to the overall sound. I also have some poly fill to throw in there and the thread about it said to use no more than 6oz. Hobby Lobby only sells 12oz bags so you'll have to eyeball it.

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO
i'll hopefully pick up some tomorrow and try it out.

OP
OP
Khyber

Khyber

it's a hard parked life
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Landon
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP CO