Sponsored

GT350 Exhaust Vibration / Resonance Noise at 2,000 RPMs

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
I recently purchased a 2016 GT350 that has a pretty noisy exhaust vibration or resonance sound around 1,500-2,000 RPMS when the engine heats up above 190. The noise is most concentrated at 2,000 RPMS and occurs whether under load, decelerating, or revving from a stop. It also happens in either exhaust mode. It sounds like a very tinny, metallic type of vibration noise or shriek that starts from underneath the shifter and you can almost hear the sound follow the pipe back to the muffler. The thing that makes the noise sound the worst is cruising at a steady speed in a higher gear like 5th gear at about 2k RPMs even. But it will make the noise also when accelerating or decelerating once it hits the 2k mark. It clearly seems like a resonance at that particular RPM causing this.

I took it to the Ford dealer (car is under the original power train warranty but nothing else) and they noticed the exhaust dampers were missing and that a prior owner also deleted the resonators and welded in straight pipes in their place. Dealer thought it was either the lack of dampers or the resonator delete causing the issue. Said the exhaust hangers were fine. Apparently the dampers are not sold as individual parts, so dealer quoted $7,000 to replace the entire exhaust system. Ha.

Instead, I bought the B-Line Motorsports dampers for $100 and installed them and that actually changed the characteristic of the vibrations somewhat and seems to have made them WORSE and happen at slightly different RPMs around that same range. So while that is unfortunate that this didn't fix it, I think it at least confirms some weird vibrations are flowing throwing through and caused by the exhaust system since the dampers impacted the sound.

I'm wondering what else this might be now and what would be the best way to diagnose this, or what type of place (other than a Ford dealer) could resolve it. Is it possible the welded in straight pipes in place of the resonators were done improperly and could be vibrating? Would the next step be to have someone cut those out and reinstall new pipes in their place? I'd like to start with some simpler options before looking into a complete replacement, as I like the stock sound and active exhaust.
Sponsored

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mustang Convert

Mustang Convert

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350
Update for future reference: Turned out to be a broken exhaust hanger arm near the muffler that sheared off. Got the hanger welded back together for $20 at an independent exhaust shop. Took the shop about 2 minutes to figure it out. This is after I had paid the Ford dealership $180 for an hour of diagnostic time only to miss the broken hanger (after specifically telling them to look for it and them confirming all hangers were intact) and said it needed a $7,000 complete exhaust replacement.

Postal Bob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350
Update for future reference: Turned out to be a broken exhaust hanger arm near the muffler that sheared off. Got the hanger welded back together for $20 at an independent exhaust shop. Took the shop about 2 minutes to figure it out. This is after I had paid the Ford dealership $180 for an hour of diagnostic time only to miss the broken hanger (after specifically telling them to look for it and them confirming all hangers were intact) and said it needed a $7,000 complete exhaust replacement.
Demand a refund from the dealership.
Sponsored