25.2 mpg unbelievable!

ScottsGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT, DIB
One time I did 33 MPG on a road trip, interstate only. My average driving to work that is combined is right at 20. Cannot complain about that!
Sponsored

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
I had an older Mustang GT for many years, and it got its best mileage at around 75, I think it was breathing better at that speed and rpm. Mine currently only gets around 16 all around, I think my wife has a lead foot. Just curious, on the freeway, for those who have tested, do they think the mileage is better at 65, 70, 75, has anyone tested at different freeway speeds. By the way, mine is all stock, 6M, 3.31 gears.

Ebm

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Guy
Vehicle(s)
'14 GT

I had an older Mustang GT for many years, and it got its best mileage at around 75, I think it was breathing better at that speed and rpm. Mine currently only gets around 16 all around, I think my wife has a lead foot. Just curious, on the freeway, for those who have tested, do they think the mileage is better at 65, 70, 75, has anyone tested at different freeway speeds. By the way, mine is all stock, 6M, 3.31 gears.
What was your older Mustang spinning(rpm) at, at 75 mph? What about your Mustang now with 3.31?

jimmerheck

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Cal Special
older mustang was turning around 1900, it was a 5M. I have only had this stang for a few months so dont know the rpms off the top of my head. I will check it next time I drive it.

Reactions: Ebm

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Coasting, idling, both use fuel if the engine is running. I'm looking forward to a road trip this summer.
Most efi’s are going to cut all fuel on closed throttle coast... better for emissions and mileage. For manual trans cars and automatics with lock up converters, the engine is turned by the drivetrain so you get some engine braking as well. Sitting idling obviously takes some gas, though.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Loki-GT

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
Most efi’s are going to cut all fuel on closed throttle coast... better for emissions and mileage. For manual trans cars and automatics with lock up converters, the engine is turned by the drivetrain so you get some engine braking as well. Sitting idling obviously takes some gas, though.
Cutting all fuel is shutting off the engine isn't it? These new fangled whatchamacallits.... :shrug:

TicTocTach

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clair
Vehicle(s)
2018 EBPP
Cutting all fuel is shutting off the engine isn't it? These new fangled whatchamacallits.... :shrug:
Technically, yeah, but you don't notice it happening except when you're watching a mileage computer. When you see the instantaneous mileage go up to 999 mpg, that's what is going on. As soon as you touch the gas, the injectors kick back in. Carburetors could never get the mileage of EFI for just that reason.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
That's half the story. The other half is the terrain you traverse and what's been done to your car.
It's true there are many variables but as a general rule, the driver is one of the most influential factors in fuel economy. Some of the best gas mileage I've ever gotten has been up in the mountains but in that case, altitude can be your friend, especially if you're driving a NA engine, and I've read some folks claim they actually get better fuel economy after their engine mods and tune. I'm not saying that's true or not but if you improve the engines ability to breath and still drive conservatively, I can see where it might be possible.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Technically, yeah, but you don't notice it happening except when you're watching a mileage computer. When you see the instantaneous mileage go up to 999 mpg, that's what is going on. As soon as you touch the gas, the injectors kick back in. Carburetors could never get the mileage of EFI for just that reason.
Another gauge you can look at is the A/F ratio. During just about all driving, it stays very close to 14:1 which is optimal from what I understand. Driving down the road and letting fully off the gas peddle, it pegs as lean as it will go. Only way that's happening is if the fuel is all but shut off. It will maintain that until the engine rpms drop to just above idle, then the A/F ratio gauge drops back to 14:1. It's probably not as obvious with an automatic but with a manual transmission, you can feel it. I let off the gas, the car starts to decelerate, then the engine braking really kicks in and the A/F ratio gauge pegs out. Once the engine nears idle speeds, the rate of deceleration eases off and the A/F ratio gauge comes back down to that 14:1 as the cylinders are firing again.

Medsport

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Guard Premium GT automatic
I stand corrected. I thought I would try to see the best mpg I could get after filling up as I never tried it in the gt. I got a few car lengths behind a semi going 65 and got up to 31.7! I was behind him for maybe 10-12 miles and it was still going up very slowly, so not sure what the max would have been at that speed and more than likely would be even better at say 55.

Sponsored

Emrys

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
I took my GT on a cross country road trip last summer to New York. Keeping it between 70-75 the whole way, I averaged 27.3 for the round trip (with 30.1 when crossing Ohio). Best roadie ‘Stang I’ve ever had.

Intrepid175

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
Regardless of what gas mileage we get in real world driving, you really do have to appreciate the technology. I've been reading these discussions and thinking back to the first V8 equipped car I ever owned. It was a 1975 Plymouth with a 318 V8. It was EPA'd 12 city and 20 highway. I usually averaged between 11 and 12 in my local driving and the few highway trips I took, I could get in the mid 21's for the most part but that was about the time the feds had lowered the national speed limits to 55 and I was cruising 60 on the cruise control.

Fast forward 40 years (damn, that hurts! ;) ) and I'm driving a 2016 Mustang GT that's returning close to triple the hp along with the same gas mileage in my local driving as that Plymouth did on the highway while driving very conservatively. The few day trips I've made did 2 to 3 mpg better. I've not taken the car on an extended road trip yet, maybe this summer if everything works out. I'm really curious to see what it does. If it nets in the EPA estimated 25 mpg range, give or take, I'll be very happy. If I get a tank or two close to what some of you are reporting, I'll be thrilled! :)

tokuzumi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2004 Escalade ESV
The added weight of the 2015+ must have impacted the V6 fuel economy. My 2011 V6 auto would regularly get 20 in the city, and 31 on the highway, traveling 80mph, and with some light stop and go traffic. I would always calculate fuel economy based on trip odometer and gallons purchased at the fuel pump. But I had the 215 aspect tires on the 17" wheels, and it would loaf along at 80mph at 1800 rpm. Not sure what the gearing is for the S550.

Bear376

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 EB, 2013 Mustang, 2017 F150SC, 2019 Flex
Vehicle Showcase
My 2013 has just turned over 94,000. Original everything, including brakes, plugs, exhaust. I have kept records of fuel mileage since day 1.
Fuel used: 3669 gal
Avg Price: $2.73/gal
Avg MPG: 25.4
peak MPG 36
lowest MPG: 18.2
All numbers are based on tank fillups.
It took me almost 18 months to see decent mileage on a regular basis due to getting broke in.
I should see a small improve in two weeks. I'm taking it in for a thorough refresh. Besides the usual oil change, differential, tranny, and plugs are on the list to check. My 2019 is due next week, so my 13 can take a breather.

Burgo

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Keith
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT 5.0L, 2014 FPV F6
I can get 700ks out of a tank at 125kph
Sponsored