Sponsored

2022 mustang gt cam swap

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
If N/A is your thing, there are better platforms, at least in my opinion.

Its going to be a package deal. To be honest I wouldn't bother unless you change the intake to the GT350 and push the car out to 8k rpm. A lot of people are already pushing out to 8krpm but aren't making much more power beyond the OEM's 7k rpm peak. Only cars that I have seen that continue to make more power above the OEM rev limit have cams.

For example if you have 4.09 gears you obviously lose 500 rpm per gear, that 8k rpm would go a long way. Obviously blown is the better path for over all power increase, but there are few of us that like the NA route. To be honest my car now is pretty darn quick with what I have and I am having traction issues the way it is with the 4.09's and Ford Performce Power Kit. If the temps drop to anything under 60deg F is just traction loss. My car will spin the 305s out there as if they were 235 A/S Hankooks.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red

deanm11

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dean
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT A10
Here's some data on aftermarket balancers for your consideration in a Cam/NA build. I'm slowly doing mine but got far enough to see surprising weight savings with the Innovators West. 6.4lbs !

I found the same challenges getting standard balancer pullers to work on the 2018+ style balancer. I pulled on the outside lip with a 3-jaw style and used a reversed impact socket to protect the crank. I tried to use the stock washer too but gave up keeping that all together after a while as it would just walk too much on the surface of the socket.

IMG-1326.jpg

IMG-1325.jpg

IMG-1316 (1).jpg

IMG-1317.jpg

Livernois Motorsports

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.livernoismotorsports.com
First Name
S550 HQ
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT (TVS 2650) (6R80)
To weigh in, the stock cams on the coyote are more than enough if you are south of 1200 hp.
For a street car cams will not net you very much in terms of hp and depending on the cam you select and if you have to lock or limit the cam travel the car will drive worse than it will on the stock cams.

also, cams on a coyote are quite expensive to do compared to the other mods that could be had for not much more, you are almost at a blower for what it would cost to upgrade the heads and install new cams, and the blower will net you much more power than cams will.

Twall

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doc.
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT premium [FBO]
To weigh in, the stock cams on the coyote are more than enough if you are south of 1200 hp.
For a street car cams will not net you very much in terms of hp and depending on the cam you select and if you have to lock or limit the cam travel the car will drive worse than it will on the stock cams.

also, cams on a coyote are quite expensive to do compared to the other mods that could be had for not much more, you are almost at a blower for what it would cost to upgrade the heads and install new cams, and the blower will net you much more power than cams will.
Respectfully; I want to get in on this. It's not just a blower. It's a blower KIT + labor + injectors + fuel system + OPG + Crank Sprocket/Support to truly do it right. Then are you gonna do driveshaft/half shaft? How about that MT82 clutch with 800+ wheel. There's more to it now. You've crossed a line that requires other supporting mods. You're looking at close to 12 grand + [eg. Whipple].

Comp stage 3 NSR cams + the new Holley low [or high] ram intake and how about 500+ wheel and i'm good to go for my daily; as far as cost... what - $2000 for cams, $1000 for Holley rounding up, $3000 labor to be conservative $6000? It is NOT the same. My shit's gonna last. I'm already FBO E85 47 lb injectors, Gen 2. I think cams/holley ported intake would help a lot... I'm just playing devil's advocate. There's pros and cons. $3000/$150/hr is 20 hrs of labor. I would think in my humble opinion an experienced shop can do that. You don't even have to pull the heads.

.... How about some Livernois ported heads + springs + cams then we do a blower hehe lol...
Sponsored

Last edited: