Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT
I know this is slightly off topic so don't shoot me but whatever came of the Ford Bronco rumor that seemed to service again recently? I recall something about Ford introducing new SUV's and one of them was apparently that? Was all of that rumor?
Sadly it is just a rumor at this point. Nothing else. I hope it does come back though.
Sponsored

Tony Alonso

Super Moderator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'01/'09/'19 Bullitt, '90 GT, '00 Corvette FRC
I know this is slightly off topic so don't shoot me but whatever came of the Ford Bronco rumor that seemed to service again recently? I recall something about Ford introducing new SUV's and one of them was apparently that? Was all of that rumor?
Sadly it is just a rumor at this point. Nothing else. I hope it does come back though.
Did you notice the links on the homepage and the top of the forum with the word 'Bronco' in them?

Chameleon

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.ebay.com
Vehicle(s)
03' Cobra, 05' GT, 13' GT, 15' GT

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
We need a V8 ecoboost!

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
Yeah -- I'd love something along the lines of a 3.5 liter flat plane V8 with a twin scroll turbo, with let's say 500hp, in a 3100lb car getting 25+ mpg combined. I wonder if Ford has any plans to do some kind of cylinder deactivation - if they've put something out there, I've missed it.

Clearman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
1991 Explorer
Now the question I have. Is 2020 the death of the V8 engine? My biggest worry overall which is why I'm aiming to get a Mustang GT sooner rather than later.
I honestly believe this is a VERY good possibility. I think the upcoming turbocharged V-(SIX) Ford GT, is a "tell" to Ford's plans for the Mustang. Given CAFE regs, Obama's plans for increased fuel economy, etc. It all points towards "Ecoboost" 4 and 6 cylinder only Mustangs. Covet your V8 Mustangs, you owners out there. The V8's days are (and have been, for quite a while now) numbered.

I freely admit that I could be (and VERY MUCH hope) I'm wrong! I would love to see the V8 live on, especially in the Mustang. That unique and throaty rumble cannot be separated from the Mustang, in my mind.

Unfortunately for me, I'm in school currently, and won't be able to afford my dream "Shelby GT350, Manual" for a few years. By the time I am able to afford it, we'll probably be close to, or into the S650 production. Ugh... :frusty: For as long as I can remember, I've wanted a Manual, Shelby V8 Mustang. I hope, for my own sake, I'll still be able to make that dream a reality.

Sponsored

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I'm certainly glad I got my V8! But 2020 is just around the corner, really. With the current V8 selling as well as it is, I don't think they will kill it off completely, although depending on sales, the bean counters will want to soon enough. Was the move from the old 5.0 to the 4.6 modular at one point a bid to get better mileage out of a V8? I can only speculate that there's a possibility that there will be other flat-plane engines, and certainly other turbos -- ecoboost is a really strong brand now -- and getting stronger. The future holds a lot of changes, but it doesn't have to suck. Losing the V8 will suck though. They are going to have to become more fuel efficient to survive. Hopefully they'll leverage what they've learned, and have a super badass V8 that fits into a strategy to meet CAFE standards. I think there are many in Ford who already regret using the ecoboost V6 in the GT and Raptor. In a lighter car that's maybe only modestly smaller than the S550 (maybe only as much smaller than the S197) and high-reving smaller turbo V8 would rock so hard... How big are the SN95's? That seemed like the perfect size for a Mustang to me -- I love those cars... Of course I love mine too, but it does in some ways feel big.

Clearman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
1991 Explorer
I'm certainly glad I got my V8! But 2020 is just around the corner, really. With the current V8 selling as well as it is, I don't think they will kill it off completely, although depending on sales, the bean counters will want to soon enough. Was the move from the old 5.0 to the 4.6 modular at one point a bid to get better mileage out of a V8? I can only speculate that there's a possibility that there will be other flat-plane engines, and certainly other turbos -- ecoboost is a really strong brand now -- and getting stronger. The future holds a lot of changes, but it doesn't have to suck. Losing the V8 will suck though. They are going to have to become more fuel efficient to survive. Hopefully they'll leverage what they've learned, and have a super badass V8 that fits into a strategy to meet CAFE standards. I think there are many in Ford who already regret using the ecoboost V6 in the GT and Raptor. In a lighter car that's maybe only modestly smaller than the S550 (maybe only as much smaller than the S197) and high-reving smaller turbo V8 would rock so hard... How big are the SN95's? That seemed like the perfect size for a Mustang to me -- I love those cars... Of course I love mine too, but it does in some ways feel big.
I hope you're right. The flat plane in the GT350 is a truly amazing engine. But I'd dare say you're forgetting about the pressure by the Prius-Nazi crowd is putting on regs.

I'm not an engineer, but, I'm not sure that a smaller turbocharged V8 would be practical. More cylinders equals longer manufacturing process and more parts. Though, you may be talking about the same overall amount of materials and weight. I'm not sure what the balance there is. Maybe the folks over at Subaru, with their 305HP 4 cylinder engines can answer that?:headbonk:

In any case, I hope Ford finds a way to not only retain Mustang's legacy of having a V8 engine, but keep it so people can still afford it too. :ford:

Slightly off topic, but equally worrying, is the disappearance of the TRUE manual transmission.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I love my NA Coyote -- may boost it later -- I don't know -- but... If saving the V8's means mandatory FI, I'll take it, however bittersweet it might be. It's a better prospect than killing them off, in my opinion.

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
I hope you're right. The flat plane in the GT350 is a truly amazing engine. But I'd dare say you're forgetting about the pressure by the Prius-Nazi crowd is putting on regs.

I'm not an engineer, but, I'm not sure that a smaller turbocharged V8 would be practical. More cylinders equals longer manufacturing process and more parts. Though, you may be talking about the same overall amount of materials and weight. I'm not sure what the balance there is. Maybe the folks over at Subaru, with their 305HP 4 cylinder engines can answer that?:headbonk:

In any case, I hope Ford finds a way to not only retain Mustang's legacy of having a V8 engine, but keep it so people can still afford it too. :ford:

Slightly off topic, but equally worrying, is the disappearance of the TRUE manual transmission.
I'm not an engineer, and am not sure what the balance is either -- but I think Ford will not take killing the V8 lightly -- it won't go without a major fight. Hopefully the S550 isn't the swan song. And I also don't disagree regarding the manual transmission. I wouldn't be surprised to find rev-matching on a future mustang -- it being on the Corvette, and the Cayman GT4.
Sponsored

Status
Not open for further replies.