2020 GT Supercharge or not?

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
Can someone send me a link to the DR or drag tire everyone is speaking of. My 2020 came with Summer only tires and they hook up pretty good. Will the DR tires be better? Sorry but I’m still a newbie and learning.
I run these in the summer. They are a very nice street/drag tire. They balanced up very nicely and are quiet. They hook very well, too. For all-out drag racing, they are not as good as a Mickey Thompson ET street R but they are MUCH better on the street.

https://www.discounttiredirect.com/buy-tires/nitto-nt555rii/p/88637
This. Very streetable DR that can also handle rain. But if car is a pure track car and never driven on street or rain there are other options.
Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Don't do it then. Very sorry about your cancer. It you use retirement money that you might need in a few years you will never get it back selling your car.
Having supercharged many cars, you get used to the power and you open up a lot of other issues. In my experience, aftermarket supercharged cars almost always have some small tune issue. They virtually never drive like stock completely. They there is the traction issue where once tires break loose, the coefficient of sliding friction is lower than that of rolling friction and so unless you spend some cash on tires/suspension, you have issues there.
Recently I bought a 2016 unmolested GT premium with a 6 speed and a 3.31 axle all stock. And, yes, the car is slow by 2018 standards, supercharged or bolt on stadards, but it is just fun to drive as it's quiet, smooth and powerful to do 0-60 under 5 seconds.
If your car is a stick with the awful gearing of the '18 up, just spend 6-800 on a set of gears. That is my suggestion.
BTW I was a financial planner and CFP for over 25 years. We never know how long we will live, but you may very well find other needs for that money. I have had clients that would spend retirement money on disposable wants, and I am not saying you are being irresponsible with your money BTW, but they found out that the money was needed for more important purposes within a few years.
Regardless of your decision, best of luck to you!
My ex wife was a financial planner for the MONY group and became very successful at it so when we divorced She gave me my retirement fund. If this disease does take me out I am leaving her my annuity fund even she really doesn't need it. I just want her to have it she is a good woman it's very rare to hear someone speak about their ex that way. The money I took out to make the down payment on the car is back in there plus some so I think the only real problem is once you go down this road you always want more power and I already have the disease of wanting more of anything I like.

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP, 2015 F150 3.5EB FX4
my 2 cents... if you can afford replacing the engine... Look at Stangmode on YT.
Probably not the best example to use, he really doesn't know anything about cars nor turns his own wrenches.

My 2 cents here on supercharging, you really need to evaluate what you want your car to do. Its easy to bolt on an aftermarket blower and create a "1 pull wonder" for drag strips or if highway pulls are your thing. I'd gotten the green light to go FI on my GT from the wife but have decided against it as I'm more interested in my car lasting a full 20 minute HPDE session. Its not hard to make these cars fast but its a whole other challenge to be able to make something that will be able to properly shed heat & keep temps in check.

FYI, I had it narrowed down the the Roush 670hp kit for mine as it had gone through Fords validation program. What ultimately stopped me was what I saw as an unacceptable modification to the k-brace and the subsequent reduction of structural rigidity.

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
My ex wife was a financial planner for the MONY group and became very successful at it so when we divorced She gave me my retirement fund. If this disease does take me out I am leaving her my annuity fund even she really doesn't need it. I just want her to have it she is a good woman it's very rare to hear someone speak about their ex that way. The money I took out to make the down payment on the car is back in there plus some so I think the only real problem is once you go down this road you always want more power and I already have the disease of wanting more of anything I like.
You're a good man, when I divorced I gave my ex-wife more than half the assets so that she and the kids wouldn't have to move. Sometimes you find you're just an incompatible match and the best thing is for both of you to move on. I did buy my mustang after because I didn't have anyone to tell me "no" anymore......

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Super charge it.. but start with putting a suspension under it so you can get the power to the ground. Power is useless without traction!

Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
You're a good man, when I divorced I gave my ex-wife more than half the assets so that she and the kids wouldn't have to move. Sometimes you find you're just an incompatible match and the best thing is for both of you to move on. I did buy my mustang after because I didn't have anyone to tell me "no" anymore......
Yeah we're pretty good friends now we were married 33 years & 28 were great we were best friends but the last 5 ruined by my alcoholism the 18 a months Q I didn't drink but I was in rage constantly +and though she tried she couldn't live like that it's sad but life goes on

kcc0521

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black GT PP
Super charge it.. but start with putting a suspension under it so you can get the power to the ground. Power is useless without traction!
I would vote against this. Suspension is not needed on these cars and it is useless on a street tire anyway. There are much better things to spend your money on. I have been 8.9 at 154 with a 1.26 60ft on stock suspension.

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Probably not the best example to use, he really doesn't know anything about cars nor turns his own wrenches.

My 2 cents here on supercharging, you really need to evaluate what you want your car to do. Its easy to bolt on an aftermarket blower and create a "1 pull wonder" for drag strips or if highway pulls are your thing. I'd gotten the green light to go FI on my GT from the wife but have decided against it as I'm more interested in my car lasting a full 20 minute HPDE session. Its not hard to make these cars fast but its a whole other challenge to be able to make something that will be able to properly shed heat & keep temps in check.

FYI, I had it narrowed down the the Roush 670hp kit for mine as it had gone through Fords validation program. What ultimately stopped me was what I saw as an unacceptable modification to the k-brace and the subsequent reduction of structural rigidity.
The more I read and the more I think about it I think I really should leave it na. I also want to do the hpde thing and the supercharger would be too much the only one I might consider would be a stage 1 procharger but even that might be too much for the track. If I go na I'll have an engine that's going to last a long time and put out good power as long as I maintain it properly it makes so much more sense. When the warranty is up I can go e85 a tune and headers. Most of my suspension work is done and I replaced the wheels and tires. The only thing left is a stop the hop kit and better shocks so I'm almost done with mods. with fi there would be axles, driveshaft etc. It just never ends with fi.

SOMDS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT Prem PP1|MT6|MR, '17 Lexus IS300 f-Sport, '08 Jeep Grand Cherokee
I have a 2020 PP1 w/ MR and MT6. Purchased car brand new October ‘19. I installed VMP Loki with a buddy a couple months ago in September. Upgraded to Boundary OPG/CS too. Car was great before but, so much better with a supercharger.

I DD the car, do all my own maintenance and *knock on wood* no issues at all. I’ve driven in rain and daily early morning temps are 30-40* here right now. Just use common sense with the throttle. Car dyno’d with 662/537 on 93 pump w/ Lund remote tune. Car just turned 26k+ miles and the last 5k miles have been with supercharger. Do it!

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
I keep going over this in my mind all the time. I would like to go with the procharger because i could keep the strut tower brace and the power doesn't come on so heavy that I'm constantly spinning wheels. I have the money to do this but it's money that I saved for retirement. The way things are now I can live comfortably for the next 20 years which brings me to 91. I just found out last year I have stage 4 melanoma. 10 years ago I would have been dead by now but with the new treatments I now have a 50 50 chance of living 5 years or even a normal lifetime so I'm afraid to do it in case I do live another 20 years . But it would be a shame not to do it if I don't last that long. It's a tough decision for me because it's something I want not something I need. I'll have to think it over some more. I would appreciate any input on what you would do if you were in my situation. Thanks guys.
If you are stage 4, do it and have fun. My dad fought melanoma for 18 years. When it was moles, he would go once or twice a year for removal. Over time it got worse. Once it got in his bones, he lived less than a year. It went to his brain and he was gone quickly. I hate to say it, but at stage 4 you don't have 20 years left. My dad died at 64.

Sponsored

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
If you are stage 4, do it and have fun. My dad fought melanoma for 18 years. When it was moles, he would go once or twice a year for removal. Over time it got worse. Once it got in his bones, he lived less than a year. It went to his brain and he was gone quickly. I hate to say it, but at stage 4 you don't have 20 years left. My dad died at 64.
Thanks for the reply. Even 10 years ago I'd be dead already but with the new immunotherapy they came out with I actually have a 50 50 chance of surviving another 20 years well maybe not, that would make me 91. Even today when you look up the survival rates of stage 4 they tell you 15% chance of being alive in 5 years however they state this is based on cases from 5 years ago. When I talk to my oncologist he tells me as long as my scans come back good I'm golden. So I ask what happens when they don't and he said he'll just mix me up a new cocktail and see what that does. I'm really fortunate my doctor and one other doctor on their staff ran a lot of the clinical trials on these medicines so I'm lucky I have the right guys treating me. This will sound stupid but I think I've been a lucky guy all my life. When everyone was getting was getting shipped to Vietnam I got shipped to Washington D.C. and lived in a high rise not a barracks. I really believe I'm going to make it. But you Know what even if I don't that's ok with me too. I'm so sorry about what happened to your Dad. My only really big fear is getting it in my bones. Thanks again for writing back Lloyd. Best to you and your family and have a great holiday season.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Thanks for the reply. Even 10 years ago I'd be dead already but with the new immunotherapy they came out with I actually have a 50 50 chance of surviving another 20 years well maybe not, that would make me 91. Even today when you look up the survival rates of stage 4 they tell you 15% chance of being alive in 5 years however they state this is based on cases from 5 years ago. When I talk to my oncologist he tells me as long as my scans come back good I'm golden. So I ask what happens when they don't and he said he'll just mix me up a new cocktail and see what that does. I'm really fortunate my doctor and one other doctor on their staff ran a lot of the clinical trials on these medicines so I'm lucky I have the right guys treating me. This will sound stupid but I think I've been a lucky guy all my life. When everyone was getting was getting shipped to Vietnam I got shipped to Washington D.C. and lived in a high rise not a barracks. I really believe I'm going to make it. But you Know what even if I don't that's ok with me too. I'm so sorry about what happened to your Dad. My only really big fear is getting it in my bones. Thanks again for writing back Lloyd. Best to you and your family and have a great holiday season.
I do wish you the best!

IamCDNJosh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Josh
Vehicle(s)
The more I read and the more I think about it I think I really should leave it na. I also want to do the hpde thing and the supercharger would be too much the only one I might consider would be a stage 1 procharger but even that might be too much for the track. If I go na I'll have an engine that's going to last a long time and put out good power as long as I maintain it properly it makes so much more sense. When the warranty is up I can go e85 a tune and headers. Most of my suspension work is done and I replaced the wheels and tires. The only thing left is a stop the hop kit and better shocks so I'm almost done with mods. with fi there would be axles, driveshaft etc. It just never ends with fi.

Also keep in mind that the Gen 3 engine has a 12:1 compression ratio which is hardly ideal for a boosted application. It's interesting that on the GT500 they went to 9.5:1 CR and port injection only. This is a vehicle designed to survive HPDE days.

Again, you can make a lot of power with FI on a Gen 3 but for how long and what duration is the question.

GeorgeC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
George
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt
Also keep in mind that the Gen 3 engine has a 12:1 compression ratio which is hardly ideal for a boosted application. It's interesting that on the GT500 they went to 9.5:1 CR and port injection only. This is a vehicle designed to survive HPDE days.

Again, you can make a lot of power with FI on a Gen 3 but for how long and what duration is the question.
Thanks thats what I'm thinking I can have this car for a long time or I can supercharge I saw a 16 gt with 125000 miles that ran strong I think that's the way to go.

GreenS550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bob
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium 2020 Explorer Limited
No problem boosting the gen 3. None at all. In fact the lower compression engines allow for more fuel/air in the combustion chamber for more power but 10psi of boost is 10psi whether the engine originally was 9:1 or 12:1. The charge volume would be greater on the lower compression engine likely making more power and more more stressed on the engine. Ford used 9.5:1 to make power at a lower boost.

I would argue that an engine originally designed to take 12:1 NA vs an engine that was designed to take 11:1 originally had better engineered and stronger parts.
Sponsored