Red18GT

DanO
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT
I check on the forum pretty often to see if anyone has done any digging to find out what makes the 2019 rev match feature work. I've only seen speculative comments suggesting that there must be some new sensors or other electronics to tell the computer when the transmission is in neutral and to blip the throttle. I know the easy solution is to blip the throttle on downshift with my foot, but if there's a way to add rev matching to my 2018 GT fairly easily, I'd probably do it. I'm sure at a bare minimum it'll involve Forscan. Just wondering if somebody smarter than me and with better access to information on the 19s has already figured this out.
Sponsored

NYDP77

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2016 Roush Mustang Stage 3
Vehicle Showcase
https://auto-blip.com/auto-blip

You can try this. There is a recent youtube video showing it work

I thought it was pretty neat. You can turn it on and off. However, you do have press the brake to activate it.

OP
OP
Red18GT

Red18GT

DanO
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Daniel
Vehicle(s)
2018 Race Red GT
https://auto-blip.com/auto-blip

You can try this. There is a recent youtube video showing it work

I thought it was pretty neat. You can turn it on and off. However, you do have press the brake to activate it.

Thanks for the reply. I had seen the auto blip but I like the idea of using Ford's setup without getting into the aftermarket. This isn't a huge thing for me as I'm not one who thinks every downshift needs to be rev matched. I just think there's a chance that it might not be hard to add the factory rev match to the 18s since the hardware is the same as the 19s.

Mountain376

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 Camaro SS 1LE, '16 Camaro SS, '12 Mustang GT
The factory auto rev-match requires a sensor(s) at the shifter to tell the ECM what gear you are in, going to or neutral. With this information, the vehicle speed, clutch position sensor and RPM, the ECM can dictate when and how much to “blip the throttle “.

That’s how the GM systems are setup and I would expect Ford to be the same.

gixxersixxerman

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Thomas
Vehicle(s)
2020 GR Supra
Has anyone been working on a OEM setting for the 18's? Im really hoping its a sensor and then forscan option. I ruined my ankles and left in in the army jumping out of planes and liked how the ST was able to move the pedal closer to heel toe, i bought the spacers for the throttle pedal but not enough height and need it to move closer maybe a 1/2" for what little movement i have.

Its not a necessity, just would be a lot less painful to have it do it itself. My experience with aftermarket is not been good at all. sometimes it works sometimes it doesnt.. When i had the EcuTek on my FRS we programmed it in with the software, but the FRS also has a gear indicator.

Sponsored

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
There's absolutely no need to rev match downshift on the street. In either case, I use the Autoblip and, installed properly (solder wires), it works great. It will blip the throttle if you brake and press the clutch in ANY situation, even if coasting, so it is not appropriate to turn on when just driving on the street.

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I find with most down shifting, the twin disc clutch is so smooth and modulating, you really don't need to blip much at all if you're only downshifting one gear at a time, and not jumping gears. Only if it's a really fast downshift, I find giving it a good blip necessary to prevent that heavy jerk.

Also, I know this is a different discussion, but they did currently prove that with the newer computer controlled ABS braking and torque vectoring, the need for engine braking is actually not as good for slowing down. The computer does a much better job of properly modulating the individual wheel braking to prevent loss of traction while slowing down, especially on slippery surfaces. They also showed that over the long term life of the car, engine braking does put stress and wear on drive train components in the opposite direction causing more wear that isn't necessary. Brake pads are a lot cheaper than just about anything in the drive train.
The technique I saw, showed that the best way to slow down was to use the brakes while holding in the clutch, then downshifting while slowing down, only to release the clutch if quick acceleration is needed. It was an interesting bit of testing they did on rainy and icy roads.

DLW

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP2
I agree with wildcatgoal. Not much need to rev match in normal DD duties, but very handy during track duties.
I have a 2019 and after an hour driving it off the lot, going light to light it gets a bit obnoxious after while and the novelty ware's off, so it's disabled except track days where needed now.
Sponsored