2019 Mustang GT A10 Whipple Gen 5 vs turbo

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2017 mustang GT pp Paxton e85
So I am at a crossroad here. Would like some guys opinions on some things. I know there might be threads similar to this, but I can't find my situation when I searched on my Gen3, in specific.

This is my current build:
2019 Mustang GT A10
Stock motor
Whipple gen5 3.0 with 3.0 pulley at 18psi
6 rib and stock balancer
Oversized heat exchanger
A10 trans-Mcloud clutches and Circle D 258 mm converter
Ice tank
Stainless works catless headers
Mbrp race h pipe exhaust
Fore dual pump and fc3 controller
Id1050s
Fore innovations dual pump and fc3
BMR drag springs
Bmr Vertical links, toe links, caster camber plates, cradle lockout
Viking crusader shocks
1400 horsepower rated DSS axles
DSS one piece drive
VMS and Mickey Thompson sportsman skinny's front
VMS and 305 45-17 Mickey Thompson ET Street r on the rear.

My new build in 2 weeks possibly will be everything mentioned above, but a 1500 horsepower rated tkm performance built and sleeved motor and 23 psi
Alternator relocation
Crank support
10 rib setup
20% balancer
3.0 pulley
Id1700s
Triple pump fore innovations

Don't get me wrong, I love my Whipple more than anything in the world right now. It produces a buttload of power and I pretty much beat everyone I race on the street on what I have now. But THIS IS ROLL RACING. I cannot do lower than a 50 roll unless my tires are really really hot and it's a really hot day and then I maybe might be able to do a 40. But still it is sketchy. It's not possible to do a dig on the street. Have not tried prep, but very impossible without prep unless I probably go half throttle till about 50 mph. Which I feel is kind of useless.

Track was 9.3 at 157mph, BUT this was on everything BUT ice tank, built trans, and the extra 3 psi(I was on 15 psi then). so I can probably do even better than that. But my 60-foot is a 1.5 and I cannot get it under that. Lund and my racing shop said they would help me get my 60 foot down. but obviously I'm going with even more power. Have not been able to go to the track because of the virus crap going around and they are just now starting to open, but my motor is just about done also. Lol.

I mainly street drive my car. I love the track and once I do my safety, if I do, then I'll be going at least four or five times a year minimum. But I have to do safety because they will kick me out like they did last time, which is understandable. I only have 4400 miles on the car, so that's the only reason why I have not done safety yet.

Okay now that you know a little bit of the background of my vehicle and what I do with it, my biggest worry is that I put back on the Whipple and have way more PSI and more power and then I will not be able to hook on the street even at a 50 or 60 LOL. And DEFINITELY NOT a dig. I did however just by like $3,500 worth of parts to support the Whipple.

Then I decided maybe, just maybe I might need to go turbo? The reason why I say this is not because it produces more power or anything to that extent, but I can control boost and be able to hook on the street a lot easier and turn it up and down at a push of a button instead of having to change a pulley. With all this being said, what do you guys think? I know it's my car and the decision is going to be up to me in the end, but I'm all up for opinions on keeping the whipple and figuring out how to do everything I love to do with it or if what I'm telling you guys would be better off with the turbos in MY situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and also any opinions. Because if I'm going to change to turbo, I need to do it now l, I would think. I don't do any of my installs.
Sponsored

Last edited:

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Is 157 mph correct? I thought most with those mods run around 147?

OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Yes it was 157mph. 120 at 1/8. I had a 37mph backhalf.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
Wow, your car runs great!

I see your point about traction and being able to control the boost with a turbo. I think you could control torque by gear in the cal but that’s probably not an option either for the same reason as a pulley swap.

Do you think an electronic bypass valve controller could work similar to a turbo boost control?

https://www.smoothboost.com/p-33-bo...ple-29l-hemi-supercharger-by-smoothboost.aspx

$1000 isn’t cheap but definitely cheaper than converting to turbo.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I was actually talking to somebody about that and they said it possibly would work, but it might mess with/mess up the Whipple over time.

OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Pretty sure that's the same one he showed me the link to also.

OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
My installer said he has had issues with this before when I just showed him.

Fatevilmonkey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
17 Mustang GT in Grabber Blue
So I am at a crossroad here. Would like some guys opinions on some things. I know there might be threads similar to this, but I can't find my situation when I searched on my Gen3, in specific.

This is my current build:
2019 Mustang GT A10
Stock motor
Whipple gen5 3.0 with 3.0 pulley at 18psi
6 rib and stock balancer
Oversized heat exchanger
A10 trans-Mcloud clutches and Circle D 258 mm converter
Ice tank
Stainless works catless headers
Mbrp race h pipe exhaust
Fore dual pump and fc3 controller
Id1050s
Fore innovations dual pump and fc3
BMR drag springs
Bmr Vertical links, toe links, caster camber plates, cradle lockout
Viking crusader shocks
1400 horsepower rated DSS axles
DSS one piece drive
VMS and Mickey Thompson sportsman skinny's front
VMS and 305 45-17 Mickey Thompson ET Street r on the rear.

My new build in 2 weeks possibly will be everything mentioned above, but a 1500 horsepower rated tkm performance built and sleeved motor and 23 psi
Alternator relocation
Crank support
10 rib setup
20% balancer
3.0 pulley
Id1700s
Triple pump fore innovations

Don't get me wrong, I love my Whipple more than anything in the world right now. It produces a buttload of power and I pretty much beat everyone I race on the street on what I have now. But THIS IS ROLL RACING. I cannot do lower than a 50 roll unless my tires are really really hot and it's a really hot day and then I maybe might be able to do a 40. But still it is sketchy. It's not possible to do a dig on the street. Have not tried prep, but very impossible without prep unless I probably go half throttle till about 50 mph. Which I feel is kind of useless.

Track was 9.3 at 157mph, BUT this was on everything BUT ice tank, built trans, and the extra 3 psi(I was on 15 psi then). so I can probably do even better than that. But my 60-foot is a 1.5 and I cannot get it under that. Lund and my racing shop said they would help me get my 60 foot down. but obviously I'm going with even more power. Have not been able to go to the track because of the virus crap going around and they are just now starting to open, but my motor is just about done also. Lol.

I mainly street drive my car. I love the track and once I do my safety, if I do, then I'll be going at least four or five times a year minimum. But I have to do safety because they will kick me out like they did last time, which is understandable. I only have 4400 miles on the car, so that's the only reason why I have not done safety yet.

Okay now that you know a little bit of the background of my vehicle and what I do with it, my biggest worry is that I put back on the Whipple and have way more PSI and more power and then I will not be able to hook on the street even at a 50 or 60 LOL. And DEFINITELY NOT a dig. I did however just by like $3,500 worth of parts to support the Whipple.

Then I decided maybe, just maybe I might need to go turbo? The reason why I say this is not because it produces more power or anything to that extent, but I can control boost and be able to hook on the street a lot easier and turn it up and down at a push of a button instead of having to change a pulley. With all this being said, what do you guys think? I know it's my car and the decision is going to be up to me in the end, but I'm all up for opinions on keeping the whipple and figuring out how to do everything I love to do with it or if what I'm telling you guys would be better off with the turbos in MY situation. Any advice would be greatly appreciated and also any opinions. Because if I'm going to change to turbo, I need to do it now l, I would think. I don't do any of my installs.
lol this won’t help you hook, but have you looked into a Killer Chiller system or Inter Chiller for your whipple ?

OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
I did, but I feel the ice tank is doing fine right now. I guess I'll see what's up during the middle of summer. Hahaha

Sponsored
OP
OP
Peedystablo82

Peedystablo82

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
Yeah I don't think mine has been that low. Lol. Unless I'm doing a roll race. But it's definitely under 100 pretty much all the time. Even sitting still at idle. Just with water.
Sponsored