Sponsored

2019 GT PP Convertible auto with MagnaFlow Competition and MRB H-Pipe Review

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Convertible with Performance Pack
Hi Everyone,

This is a whack at my first impressions after I installed the MagnaFlow Competition axle back and MRB H-Pipe on my brand new 2018 GT Convertible auto.

First off this is a brand new car, at the time of the install it only had 125 miles on it. I am LONG time hot rodder and have had a huge variety of toys over the years. My favorites have mostly been 60's and early 70's muscle cars. They were all fairly loud and sounded fantastic. The most used configuration on those for me was simple, headers and glasspacks or Thrush mufflers. I loved that classic deep tone that was not a muddled mess. I got out of hot rods and muscle cars a few years ago and missed them. My last toy was a 2013 Shelby GT500 convertible. I put the Ford racing axle back on that car and hated it. It was far too loud and obnoxious at any speed. It simply did not sound good. Don't get me wrong, the car was violent, it was down right fast, but sounded terrible with my new exhaust. I figured, eh, I am getting old (50ish) and it is just me. Fast forward to a few weeks ago and I got the urge to get back into muscle cars. So I bought this fantastic deal on a new 2018. Stock, it sounded ok at idle, not great, not a great tone and it was virtually silent on the highway (was I driving a Prius?) so I knew I was going down the rabbit hole again. I listened to a lot of video clips and reviews and landed on the MagnaFlow Competition axle back and MRB H-Pipe largely thanks to CJ Pony Parts great videos. Go Big or Go Home i figured.

I had major reservations, but did it anyway. I got it installed on Friday. When they first fired it up in the shop I thought "uh oh" it's LOUD, but really that was in the garage. Once outside, it sounded beautiful yet mean at idle, that is the overall CLASSIC MUSCLE CAR SOUND condensed on one car. No rasp, only DEEP beautiful V-8 symphonies. Driving it away it seems loud, but I have been in a Jeep for the last few years and knew it would take a bit to get used too. I took it for a 100 mile cruise. You can absolutely hear it inside the cabin (remember, I have a convertible to it is louder for me). Light, easy cruising it is fine, in fact it is quite enjoyable. At highway speeds it gets louder under a load at around 1700 rpm to 1900 rpm (STILL NOT objectionable) but eases up significantly after that or off load. You can still easily hold a conversation at normal levels and listen to music. At those rpm's when not under a load, just cruising along it is pretty quiet actually. It is always a deep nice tone. It sounds more '67 Bullitt Mustang that the '67 Bullitt Mustang does. Under moderate acceleration it is a bit louder over a broader range, but the sound is beautiful. If I could take a magic wand and reduce the inside sound a bit at the 17 to 1900 rpm range I would, but if it even changed the tone a bit I wouldn't. it sounds that good.

It is quieter than any of my Harleys or Indians were, it is MUCH quieter than a LS1 Trans Am with the SLP loudmouth was (MUCH quieter). It is quieter than my GT500 with the Ford racing axle back for sure. All in all, it is spectacular sounding (the best tone of any car I have ever owned) and with normal driving it is a GREAT fit if you want to KNOW you are driving a high horsepower V-8. The outside sound is all around perfect according to my wife. The build quality of both items is obviously fantastic. I still have not had the car above 4k rpms, so more to come after i have put some more spirited miles on it. YMMV.
Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Post up some Sound Clips:

I have just purchased a Magnaflow Street, I have Catless LTH and I needed something comparable to stock. I'll be working on getting an active exhaust setup to further dampen the volume. Startup is intense with my current setup See Below.

https://youtu.be/x059RQJZ1q4

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Post up some Sound Clips:

I have just purchased a Magnaflow Street, I have Catless LTH and I needed something comparable to stock. I'll be working on getting an active exhaust setup to further dampen the volume. Startup is intense with my current setup See Below.

https://youtu.be/x059RQJZ1q4
I REALLY wish mine had the active exhaust. THAT combined with my Magna flow would be perfect for my 0430 departure times to work.

OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
*UPDATE* We had a VERY unusual 67 degree February day here yesterday so I got to get some top down time. Top down it is also fine, you can easily hold a regular conversation or listen to music. It is actually quieter with the top down and you really get to hear the AMAZING sound (NOT noise) put out by this fantastic combination. If you want the true deep muscle car sound and don't mind driving in something that doesn't sound like your mom's car but still isn't very loud - than this is a GREAT choice! I will try to get a clip or two...

Sponsored

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I REALLY wish mine had the active exhaust. THAT combined with my Magna flow would be perfect for my 0430 departure times to work.
If you look under your car you may have the factory plug for active exhaust or you can buy the blackheart kit and put that on, there's ways sir.

MaskedRacerX

Driver
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
DT
Vehicle(s)
'21_JWS4XE / '21_TM3P
Excellent!

I've got a '19 GT/PP/Vert with the AE, and I've had a Steeda H-pipe sitting in my garage for like 2 months ... this really incentivizes me to get the damn thing installed!

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS convertible
Just curious if the installed exhaust system kept the factory resonator. I have MagnaFlow Comp cat backs on this thing, resonator delete, and it's just too loud for me. The only reason I haven't installed a MagnaFlow street cat back I have sitting in the garage is it's still kind of amusing seeing the looks on people's faces at the gray haired old goat with the too-loud car.

illtal

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Just curious if the installed exhaust system kept the factory resonator. I have MagnaFlow Comp cat backs on this thing, resonator delete, and it's just too loud for me. The only reason I haven't installed a MagnaFlow street cat back I have sitting in the garage is it's still kind of amusing seeing the looks on people's faces at the gray haired old goat with the too-loud car.
If you're talking to me I haven't installed it yet. I'll post up when the deeds thea done. op has an hpipe resonator delete though

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
I meant the OP, but I appreciate any other input. Please post up when you install your system.

Sponsored
OP
OP

bigfoot21075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yes, the axle back kept the factory resonator. I added the resonator delete h-pipe in addition to the axle back.

Copperhead73

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Derrick
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium Convertible PP1, A10, Mag, B&O, A/E, S&S
Excellent!

I've got a '19 GT/PP/Vert with the AE, and I've had a Steeda H-pipe sitting in my garage for like 2 months ... this really incentivizes me to get the damn thing installed!
You've said this before. It will take about 30 minutes at a shop and cost you $70 if you don't want to roll around on your back. Get it done! :)

Worst case scenario you will put your briefcase back on. But more than likely you will kick yourself for waiting two months. It was the best mod I've done, except for the start button cover :p

And congratulations to the OP! Nothing like the grin one gets from firing up a car they love to hear! I am putting miles on this car faster than any I have ever had. I am constantly looking for a reason to go for a top-down drive!

Avispa

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
Thanks, Bigfoot. Yeah, mine is loud. Street system going in soon!

MagnaFlow

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 S550
Awesome review, Bigfoot! We love hearing feedback like this from our customers. Thanks again for choosing Magnaflow for your Stang! :fistbump:

We'd love to hear a sound clip, as well, if you get the chance.