Sponsored

2019 GT Buying Advice - Too Risky?

Cobrajet21

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Please don't just get on the highway and set the cruise control. Vary the RPM for at least the first 100 miles. IMO it's the most important part of break-in.

Welcome to the club and I hope yours is as good as mine has been!
Best of luck with new stang and do vary rpms on drive home. Thats good advice
Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
There's dozens of members who feel like I do about their 2018 Mustang. You're still in the honeymoon stage with your 2019.

Like I said the fanboi's will never admit ford did anything wrong.
Got evidence of the 100% failure rate?

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Hey Fanboi. Another thread was just made by someone about getting a new short block.

There's also countless videos on YouTube just like my videos where people are getting new short blocks or long blocks. I think it mostly comes down to who your dealer is.
Yes YouTube drama videos mean every single car has blown engines. You do realize what YouTube is right? I get that people are mad but don’t throw logic out the door. No one knows even what the “issue” is to begin with. The few people that are spamming speculation threads have agendas as well and I’ll gladly point out who and what. One of them hates the 5.0 with a passion and doesn’t even own one. And explain to me how I’m a fanboy as well? I just don’t see the 100% failure rate you are saying exists. If you can provide me the evidence I’ll believe it.

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
Too Risky? This and all the other threads about engine failure, ticking, wobbly pistons just cracks me up. Your just buying a daily driver. Your only concern should be original cost to value and how long you keep a car and what its value will be when you sell it. As far as any problems go, that's why it's warrantied. If you plan on keeping it longer than 3/36 get peace of mind and buy an extended warranty. I normally keep a car 3-5 yrs I expect it to be worth about 22-25k when I go to sell. I was stickered at 53,020. If along the way FMC changes my engine yearly I don't give a damn! All I care is I enjoy every day that I drive it and if it goes in that I get a loaner to get home. Everyone should worry more about their health and if their gonna wake up in the morning.

Lorne34

Project Hidalgo
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lorne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I would say that if your attracted to the 2018/19 Mustang then buy it. Life is full of risks and we can sit around and worry about crossing the street or driving on the hwy. I know there is some evidence that Ford has quality control issues with the 2018 MY, so at this point it is a bit more of a gamble I would say then purchasing a 2015-17.
You'll never know until you pull the trigger. The other option is to purchase a used 2018 and save the depreciation hit and still have a good warranty.
I've purchased foreign cars my whole life because the American made vehicles are known for the "roll of the dice" quality.. it's not consistent.... you see a large variance in people's ownership experiences. That's why my dailies have been Toyota's and Honda's. My daughter has a 2001 CRV with 200k miles on it, got her through college and master program and it's still running like a champ...
Personally I'm really ticked off at Ford because:
A. they incorporated all of the goodies in the 2018 MY all of which I tried to add to my original 2016 coupe and now my 2017 vert (Active dual Exhaust, upgraded interior, better Tranny, better stereo, etc..)
B. They should have left the coyote engine ALONE.. it was almost bullet proof on the 2015-17.... yeah you heard about a failure or issues, but they were rare. They should have just incorporated the Ford Power Pack 2 or 3 technology into the 5. 0 and called it a day.. instead they got cute and started messing with the spray liner, direct injection, etc..
C. They should have left the front end alone as well. As much as I want to like it - it's a mess

Hope it works out for you...

Sponsored

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
Who knows if it's in the thousands. I do know there is a whole boat load of people on YouTube getting new engines. Seems to be a lot more than the 2015-2017 model years.
So it’s a very high percentage of all cars based on YouTube videos. Like 80%?

Condor1970

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
So it’s a very high percentage of all cars based on YouTube videos. Like 80%?
There's no way to know. I highly doubt it's that high. All I know is when you look up Mustang ticking videos for example, you will find a lot more 2018's than just about all 2015-2017's combined.

Mazman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 PP1 Mustang GT
Vehicle Showcase
@Nanashii and @Mazman just got new engines. That's the most recent I can think of. I never said it's every 2018+.

Quick Google search brings up dozens of people from all over the world getting a new short block or long block.
Also to add that my new engine is broke as well :D

Sponsored

Fatguy

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 V6 Mustang
I would say that if your attracted to the 2018/19 Mustang then buy it. Life is full of risks and we can sit around and worry about crossing the street or driving on the hwy. I know there is some evidence that Ford has quality control issues with the 2018 MY, so at this point it is a bit more of a gamble I would say then purchasing a 2015-17.
You'll never know until you pull the trigger. The other option is to purchase a used 2018 and save the depreciation hit and still have a good warranty.
I've purchased foreign cars my whole life because the American made vehicles are known for the "roll of the dice" quality.. it's not consistent.... you see a large variance in people's ownership experiences. That's why my dailies have been Toyota's and Honda's. My daughter has a 2001 CRV with 200k miles on it, got her through college and master program and it's still running like a champ...
Personally I'm really ticked off at Ford because:
A. they incorporated all of the goodies in the 2018 MY all of which I tried to add to my original 2016 coupe and now my 2017 vert (Active dual Exhaust, upgraded interior, better Tranny, better stereo, etc..)
B. They should have left the coyote engine ALONE.. it was almost bullet proof on the 2015-17.... yeah you heard about a failure or issues, but they were rare. They should have just incorporated the Ford Power Pack 2 or 3 technology into the 5. 0 and called it a day.. instead they got cute and started messing with the spray liner, direct injection, etc..
C. They should have left the front end alone as well. As much as I want to like it - it's a mess

Hope it works out for you...

A thumbs up on everything including the front end. They kept telling me I’d like it given some time. Some time has elapsed and I still don’t like it. I also prefer the plain tri-bars instead of that Honda car thing. But I digress!

I would have bought the new GT Stang by now if it didn’t have the engine and transmission problems. And that’s a guarantee there mates! But Ford blew it, and now the enthusiasm is wearing off a year after the fact and problems keep coming up. And we are not talking trim pieces falling off but full transmission rebuilds after 8,000 miles! And to all you guys who say - dude that’s what a warranty is for - and I say I want a car that will go four to five times what that craptastic 60k warranty gives you plus that’s 60K of constant aggravation. Ford has lost me as a customer and my car is 100% reliable and people here tell me I’m lucky. Maybe they are right but I’m not pushing my luck buying another one. And it’s not just the 5.0 guys, the Focus RS is another humdinger of a problem car...

Last edited:

thehunterooo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2006 Corvette
That’s crazy considering the 3
Add @Brico for a new short block and buyback.
Great still need a ton more than that though. You haven’t shown me the 1000s of blown up 5.0s yet. Should be easy since so many of them have blown to pieces already. Still haven’t explained any of it to me.

dirty-max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Previous: 2015 Black GT Fully Loaded (Sold) Now: 2020 GT500 (Current)
This forum as well as youtube makes the 3rd gen coyote issues seem really common. I was looking to pull the trigger on a new 5.0 here soon but now these issues are really worrying me. I just want to know how common this really is and if I should actually be worried when buying one.

302@12psi

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Kona PP2 Recaros
This forum as well as youtube makes the 3rd gen coyote issues seem really common. I was looking to pull the trigger on a new 5.0 here soon but now these issues are really worrying me. I just want to know how common this really is and if I should actually be worried when buying one.
I would guess if you went to any website based on an sport or enthusiast vehicle you'd leave the same.

I owned a 2006 WRX and 2007 STI. Everyone was telling me how the 5 speed was going to explode without RA gears under normal driving and to start saving for a six speed swap. Then the EJ257 was going to blow up due to the stock tune.

It just is what it is. Folks buy these cars with an expectation. If a CRV blows it motors (oh plenty of reports with the new small turbo motor) the buyer isn't likely to hit the CRV forums up. They'll submit it to warranty, tell their friends, and maybe hit up the BBB or something.

serpent

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
crash
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT
I don't know how anyone can reassure you. Nor I don't believe there will ever be published numbers on how many engines have been swapped. I take you tubers as drama queens looking for subs. If you can live with this cars normal depreciation, I say go for it.
Sponsored