Sponsored

2018 Mustang GT Cannot Pour Injector Cleaner

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
Hello,

So I purchased a bottle of Redline SI-1 fuel system cleaner and when I tried to pour it into the gas tank using a funnel (tried 2 different ones), the additive just spilled all over. The little cover on the mouth of the tank flips back but another 3 inches in there is another flap that wont open. I tried using my fingers to see if there is a little button that is pushed when the nozzle at the gas pump is pushed in to pour gas but no luck.

Any idea how I can do this? I tried just pouring the bottle by itself and same problem, it will spill.

I am at a complete loss at this moment.

Thanks
Sponsored

highvoltage

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brock
Vehicle(s)
18 Audi A3, 21 F150
You need to use the funnel provided by ford under the trunk mat. Also I have used a funnel purchased from WalMart but pour slowly.

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Something wrong with your fuel system?

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Something wrong with your fuel system?
No, just preventive maintenance. I daily drive it and I am at 12xxx miles. I figured running a bottle of Redline SI-1 would be a good way of keeping intake valves, and piston tops clean.

Sponsored

Kinjirra

I R Slow
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
16 Ruby Red GT W/PP, 401a
Vehicle Showcase
Gotcha...quality gas is the real key. Some of that crap they sell is junk. Enjoy driving

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Gotcha...quality gas is the real key. Some of that crap they sell is junk. Enjoy driving
I get gas from Costco most of the time. From what I understand it is Top Tier. How good is it compared to Shell, Exxon or Cheveron? Dont really know but I have not had any issues with using 93 Octane from Costco. From the before and after pictures of cylinder tops following the use of Redline SI-1 are very promising. I figured I will use 1 bottle for one full gas tank and 2 bottles after by only using half a bottle per gas tank. That should take care of whatever carbon deposits that might have accumulated on the piston top in 12 thousand miles (if any)

Last edited:

smoke_wagon_6g

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 GT
2018 and pouring FI cleaner already? Beware of any pictures of piston tops "before" and "after." Take my word, yours still look like new after 12k miles.

Sponsored

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
You probably already know this, but in case you don't, not all of your fuel will spray the top of the intake valves because of direct injection. Thankfully ford does have conventional port injectors, so some of it will hit the valves. I'm on the "don't need it" camp. Remember that most gas has 10% ethanol whether we like it or not. Ethanol is a solvent, which does a good job of keeping fuel systems clean. All of the people compaining about it gumming up their system are using older cars not made for it, and have seen a lot of old non-ethanol-added fuel. Costco and Sam's club are Top Tier fuel and that's all you need. The exact same fuel came from the refinery. The additive pack can be different, but if it's top tier, then it's perfectly fine.

OP
OP
gmupatriot

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
You probably already know this, but in case you don't, not all of your fuel will spray the top of the intake valves because of direct injection. Thankfully ford does have conventional port injectors, so some of it will hit the valves. I'm on the "don't need it" camp. Remember that most gas has 10% ethanol whether we like it or not. Ethanol is a solvent, which does a good job of keeping fuel systems clean. All of the people compaining about it gumming up their system are using older cars not made for it, and have seen a lot of old non-ethanol-added fuel. Costco and Sam's club are Top Tier fuel and that's all you need. The exact same fuel came from the refinery. The additive pack can be different, but if it's top tier, then it's perfectly fine.
@CrashOverride You are right, not all the fuel sprays on the valves. One very interesting thing I noticed is the switch-over from port to direct is by noticing the oil pressure change from mid 20 psi under light acceleration to 40-60 psi once the RPM hit 3000 or above. I believe this is when the switch-over from port to direct injections takes place. That being the case, I DD the car and spend most of the time under 3K RPM so the valves are under constant spray, the only time I guess they are not is when I am driving spirited using the paddles to keep the RPM over 3k.

Appreciate your input and I agree, Costco/Sams or any Top Tier gas is probably more than enough. I was just being cautious when using the Redline fuel additive but I guess no need for it going forward.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
@CrashOverride You are right, not all the fuel sprays on the valves. One very interesting thing I noticed is the switch-over from port to direct is by noticing the oil pressure change from mid 20 psi under light acceleration to 40-60 psi once the RPM hit 3000 or above. I believe this is when the switch-over from port to direct injections takes place. That being the case, I DD the car and spend most of the time under 3K RPM so the valves are under constant spray, the only time I guess they are not is when I am driving spirited using the paddles to keep the RPM over 3k.

Appreciate your input and I agree, Costco/Sams or any Top Tier gas is probably more than enough. I was just being cautious when using the Redline fuel additive but I guess no need for it going forward.
I had a (don't laugh) 2006 IS350 which had the toyota dual injector setup. One of the first on the market I think, sounded like a sewing machine. All my other DFI cars afterwards had the same sound. It's probably why the new mustang GT has the wide engine cover, and I bet you it's got a lot of padding underneath. I might be wrong, but I think the DI is demand/ignition advance/"torque request" based. For instance, because of the compression ratios, when you're hammering it, Ford probably advances the timing more aggressively and kicks more of the DI in the mix. The DI has a cooling affect and resists ping better than PFI. If you want to see some nasty DFI-only setups, look no further than the Audi V8 and the BMW I6's. They have to get walnut blasted all the time and the owners seem to think that pouring in fuel injector cleaner will help. Now there is some evidence that running meth injection helps because it does backwash the valves, but in my opinion, not enough to help because it's not like you spray all the time.

Here is a great article on the 2 different DFI/PFI injection strategies. Looks like ford is always using PFI and increases the DFI with demand whereas toyota goes complete DFI (No PFI) at higher loads. I'm not saying this because I own a ford, but I like Ford's implementation better because you're going to consume a lot more fuel, have a lot more blowby during high loads, so the added "trickle" of PFI will help clean the valves even better.

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/explained-why-some-engines-have-both-port-and-direct-injection

HoosierDaddy

Threads
Reaction score
Winchestertonfieldville (ok, Scottsdale), AZ
First Name
Randy
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium PP
I get gas from Costco most of the time. From what I understand it is Top Tier. How good is it compared to Shell, Exxon or Cheveron? Dont really know but I have not had any issues with using 93 Octane from Costco.
Yes, Costco is top tier. FWIW Some tuner on these forums posted that the octane at Costcos near him were consistently lower octane than labeled. He made a good case for that. But hard to say if that's Costco wide or something happening just near him. I haven't had to wonder because other top Tier gas is cheaper for me due to cash back on a card Costco doesn't take.

CrashOverride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I don't know if they certify it, but I would think that the local weights & measures might have a say. I could see this "sneakery" though as I don't think top tier has anything to do with octane. Here in California the best we have is 91 octane which is kind of a downer. Out of respect to everybody else, I like it when tuners offer a separate 91 and 93 octane tunes. For boosted cars, it's a bit difference. I would argue for NA, I doubt it makes a huge difference, but I could be wrong.
Sponsored