Sponsored

2018 GT - Manual - 2nd Gear Lag?

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Just picked up my 2018 last week. From the very little driving I have done due to poor weather, I noticed the car lags for a split second in second gear when putting the throttle down. I initially thought it was in my head, but my brother has a 2016 GT and he noticed it within the 2 mins he drove it yesterday. It does't seem to be as bad in track mode however. Anyone else noticing the same? Wondering if this will change as the car breaks in otherwise I'll have to keep it in track mode.
Sponsored

Tommy V

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tommy
Vehicle(s)
2015 race red gt pp manual, recaros, 401al DOA "too much boost on 93", 2017 GT Auto
Probablly traction control kicking in

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
Yeah, I would say that is what I experience in mine as well, even in track mode, but mostly at low RPMs. It feels like it's basically not responsive until it gets over 1500rpms then become very sensitive. Honestly have no idea if that is 'normal' or not.

Loki-GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Premium A10-3.55-400a
Vehicle Showcase
I test drove an 18 6spd and didn't notice this but I did notice a slight kick after the gear engaged. The car was literally fresh off the truck and delivery mode turned off so I took it back to the dealer so they could complete their work, the salesman shouldn't have allowed the car to be driven yet.

So, in my case hard to tell the cause, did yours feel like a pause or a kick like an immediate hesitation after fully into 2nd gear?

Kevin08

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kevin
Vehicle(s)
19GT
I'll pay more attention and do a few times after work so I can more clearly describe it. It's mostly common when I leave for work in the morning (driving slowly and quietly) so I'm too damn tired to care. If taking off quickly and shifting into 2nd at high rpm, it feels completely normal and the throttle is immediately responsive.

IIRC, the sensation is similar to that of TCS cutting throttle. But at 1200-1400 rpm it's not like the tires are going to spin with light pedal pressure.

Sponsored

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Probablly traction control kicking in
I don't think so, I always had full control during these incidences.

Yeah, I would say that is what I experience in mine as well, even in track mode, but mostly at low RPMs. It feels like it's basically not responsive until it gets over 1500rpms then become very sensitive. Honestly have no idea if that is 'normal' or not.
Ya EXACTLY what I am talking about. I haven't narrowed it down to what RPS it occurs at. But definitely feels like the car is cutting my throttle out for a bit.

I test drove an 18 6spd and didn't notice this but I did notice a slight kick after the gear engaged. The car was literally fresh off the truck and delivery mode turned off so I took it back to the dealer so they could complete their work, the salesman shouldn't have allowed the car to be driven yet.

So, in my case hard to tell the cause, did yours feel like a pause or a kick like an immediate hesitation after fully into 2nd gear?
It feels like a pause. I press the gas, nothing happens then car gets power normally. Only happens in 2nd gear, its really weird.

I'll pay more attention and do a few times after work so I can more clearly describe it. It's mostly common when I leave for work in the morning (driving slowly and quietly) so I'm too damn tired to care. If taking off quickly and shifting into 2nd at high rpm, it feels completely normal and the throttle is immediately responsive.

IIRC, the sensation is similar to that of TCS cutting throttle. But at 1200-1400 rpm it's not like the tires are going to spin with light pedal pressure.
Ya exactly, it feels like the car is cutting my throttle but it has nothing to do with safety. The weather sucks here so I do not drive it every day. I'll try to pay more attention to details next time. But let me know if you can narrow it down. It must be normal if we both have the same issue.

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6
Could it be the Ti VCT? Or maybe the tune Ford has that keeps the throttle sensitivity down to try and conserve fuel?
This was my brother's guess, maybe with the added the power they tuned the car to control it a bit more in 2nd gear?

Otherwise the car seems fine, responsive and quite jumpy.

Mustang1260

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 50th Limited Edition, WW, Manual
First, up front, i have a 15 and haven't driven an 18. It is my understanding that the tranny gear ratios have been altered in the 18 - I wonder if that is what your feeling?

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6

Forgot to add, but I also noticed the kick sometimes as well. I feel like the car kicks a lot in 3rd. I was starting to wonder if I was getting on the throttle too early before fully releasing the clutch but that wasn't the case. This is my 1st V8 so I chalked it up to not being familiar with them. Going to have to focus on both things next time I drive to see what's going on.

OP
OP

BLU2DSKY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT, 2005 V6

Actually now that I think of it, I noticed the delay when getting up on it as well. I don't think I ever had the car at that low of an rpm when shifting into 2nd and I have been driving it pretty hard once the car gets to normal operating temperature.

Sponsored

Ayatollah Humungous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP
I've noticed the same thing, except mine happens in first and second. If I am cruising and then hit the gas with some severity it will lag a second and then build RPM like it is supposed to.

I was assuming it was part of the tune to keep people from doing crazy shit at low RPMs.

Silver Bullitt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Coupe PP2
Are you actually pushing the throttle down and it has to move a little before it kicks in? Sounds like the dbw needs a little more tip in.

soldier989

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GTPP Premium
Mine does this at low rpm, shifting into 3rd, when cold. It goes away when warm. Mines a 17 GT. So whatever it is, might be inherent to Ford tuning or the MT82. It would be interesting if someone who had this issue were to get a Ford Performance Package tune and notice if it goes away.

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE

I swear most of ya have not one clue how to pick a gear for the situation. :headbonk:

"i stab the gas when it's in 2d barely above idle speed and it stumbles"
:lol:

Stormtrooper5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GTPP
That's weird. Mine doesn't do that, it seems to be instant (or so I thought). But now you got me wondering, i'll have to check on that later.
Sponsored