Sponsored

2018 GT low rpm engine rattle, cylinder damage pics, Ford buyback process

Do you have engine rattle in low rpm range that sounds like mine?

• Yes, but have not taken it to dealer

Votes: 146 42.6%
  • Yes, but dealer said it was normal

Votes: 54 15.7%
  • Yes, Ford approved short block, long block or whole engine

Votes: 22 6.4%
  • Yes, other repair was performed

Votes: 7 2.0%
  • No

Votes: 114 33.2%

• Total voters
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I don't think the noise in the first post has anything to do with the engine damage. This seems to be a fairly common clutch chatter. I have it as well and it doesn't worry me. I am pretty sure I had it on my 2015 as well. It definitely doesn't sound like it's coming from the engine.
So many similar noises that it can be hard to isolate. Both the service tech and heavy line tech replicated the noise and they each put it on the rack and isolated the noise to the engine. I specifically asked them to check the clutch and driveline and they said the noise was definitely from the engine which prompted the heavy line tech to call Ford Hot Line. Guys with automatics also have the same noise. this was a tough one because dealers (like my original dealer) will say its normal. This is probably the case but I just kept having a weird feeling that something was not right.
Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Mines making the exact same noise as the video. Also happens between 2-2.5k. Seems like when i grasp the shifter/collar it diminishes, but that may be placebo. Its only under load and is most prevalent 1st-3rd. Only 400 miles on the clock, and this was NOT there during the test drive. I pray its not the engine. Im hesitant to take it in just yet, cause dealers can really f up your cars trying to diagnose a problem.
I swapped out the reverse lockout collar to the steeda billet collar. this had no effect on the noise on my car. Based on the Oasis note, I would agree in most cases the noise is normal if it is from the piston rattle.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Yesterday I really hot dogged my car on the way home and got the engine good and hot. Cylinder head temp was 215 degrees and the rattle sound was pretty much gone. Hardly noticeable unless you really listened to it. Try getting some heat in engine and see if it greatly diminishes.
Yes, I have a long commute and on mine it does diminish when hot but was still audible which is why I took mine it. Had I read the Oasis note earlier, I probably would have waited.

jacknifetoaswan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Race Red Mustang GT Premium Performance Pack
With so many parts being "sourced" these days that would be my bet.
All parts are 'sourced'. Ford doesn't manufacture the vast majority of the parts they use, and they haven't since the days of massive vertical integration. The bigger issue isn't where the parts come from (though Takata certainly sets a precedent), it's how much Ford is willing to pay for them. Ford isn't taking a loss on any of these vehicles, and they have profit margins that they want to hit. If they can save $0.01 per valve, that's 32 valves per engine times, what, 300,000 engines per year, just on V8 engines? That's a million dollars right there, and that's only ONE part.

JR

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Yes, I'm good with that. My issue is no one in the service dept has been able to say exactly what caused the problem. The only reasonable explanation is from the OASIS notice on 2016 GT350 piston rattle. I can accept that. I guess it's good that with my ignorance, I continued to pursue this which eventually led to where we are now and that there was verifiable damage contrary to what the OASIS notice said. I really love this car. Too bad it's been in the shop longer that the amount of time I've driven it so far lol.
I could be overthinking it but maybe there is some sort of policy not allowing techs to talk about new issues until there is a factual foundation of the problem from analysis. You can't just tell customers what you assume may be wrong with it as that can cause issues for Ford when you have people running around telling everyone that Ford told them that "x" was wrong with the car before they concluded the evaluation and actual issue. It may be why they are being vague right now. They might now, but they haven't completely verified it.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
I could be overthinking it but maybe there is some sort of policy not allowing techs to talk about new issues until there is a factual foundation of the problem from analysis. You can't just tell customers what you assume may be wrong with it as that can cause issues for Ford when you have people running around telling everyone that Ford told them that "x" was wrong with the car before they concluded the evaluation and actual issue. It may be why they are being vague right now. They might now, but they haven't completely verified it.
Yeah you are probably right. The heavy line tech told me has never seen this happen before where all cylinders on one side were damaged on a brand new engine. At this point I’m just going to work through Ford customer relations and not push the dealer on the repairs. The car has been in the shop 14 consecutive days plus 3 days on other occasions. I’m just counting the days to a replacement vehicle or worste case a lemon law buyback.

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
Spoke with my Ford regional case manager today and voiced my concerns and dissatisfaction with the decision by Ford to only replace the short block. She said there was nothing they could do about that decision. We will have weekly update calls going forward.

I requested the pics of the cylinder damage again. No response.

At this point I am just counting the days. I am on day 18.

Bald Menace

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Menace
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 2 king Cobra
All parts are 'sourced'. Ford doesn't manufacture the vast majority of the parts they use, and they haven't since the days of massive vertical integration. The bigger issue isn't where the parts come from (though Takata certainly sets a precedent), it's how much Ford is willing to pay for them. Ford isn't taking a loss on any of these vehicles, and they have profit margins that they want to hit. If they can save $0.01 per valve, that's 32 valves per engine times, what, 300,000 engines per year, just on V8 engines? That's a million dollars right there, and that's only ONE part.

JR
my calculator says that's 96000 not 1 million..lol

Sponsored

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
I swapped out the reverse lockout collar to the steeda billet collar. this had no effect on the noise on my car. Based on the Oasis note, I would agree in most cases the noise is normal if it is from the piston rattle.
So I should assume this is normal under Ford Oasis 2888 since we share the same Plasma Transfer Wire Arc cylinder liners employed by the GT350’s, or is it just a ploy by Ford to hide the real truth of engine failure/damage like your situation? This whole ordeal just makes me super pissed as this is my first V8 and expensive-ish new vehicle. Should I just wait and see if it gets better or worse? Like i said im hesitant to take it in and have them f*ck with it just to tell me "its normal" and possibly cause real or superficial damage in the process. I worked at a dealership for 4 years, they treat cars that come in for warranty like shit, cause the techs dont make a damn working on them. It was cringe worthy to watch sometimes. Any other info you can get from Ford on the severity/occurrence rate in which this happening and why would be greatly appreciated!! Best of luck man!

OP
OP
bigriver

bigriver

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
So I should assume this is normal under Ford Oasis 2888 since we share the same Plasma Transfer Wire Arc cylinder liners employed by the GT350’s, or is it just a ploy by Ford to hide the real truth of engine failure/damage like your situation? This whole ordeal just makes me super pissed as this is my first V8 and expensive-ish new vehicle. Should I just wait and see if it gets better or worse? Like i said im hesitant to take it in and have them f*ck with it just to tell me "its normal" and possibly cause real or superficial damage in the process. I worked at a dealership for 4 years, they treat cars that come in for warranty like shit, cause the techs dont make a damn working on them. It was cringe worthy to watch sometimes. Any other info you can get from Ford on the severity/occurrence rate in which this happening and why would be greatly appreciated!! Best of luck man!
Thanks! I hear you man. I'm pissed that Ford only approved a short block on my brand new car. I'm worried about all the things you mentioned.

Here are some cringeworthy pics of my car sitting in the service parking lot with the oil cap and spark plugs off. This will be part of my case file.
at dealer 1 small.jpg
at dealer 2 small.jpg
at dealer 3 small.jpg

FISHTAIL

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium PP
And this was why I took my car where I did for my oil pan leak. I have friends that work there, that are friends with the tech that did my service. Helps with peace of mind.

BladeGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'18 HBM 1SS TR6060 NPP
Ahh jeez bigriver thats hard to look at especially given the fact we have the same color! Smart move logging as much as you can to both protect yourself and better your case. Like i said keep us updated, and may the car gods be in your favor.

88lx50

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible 6 speed
We don't share the forged aluminum pistons. That was where they claim the noise came from. The clearances cannot be as tight with a forged piston due to expansion, which leads to some piston slap when cold.
Sponsored