Sponsored

2018 GT A10 Basket case of issues...

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
The shifting is getting worse, almost like its slipping in 4th, I went to pass a truck today at lunch and it felt like the transmission was going to fall out it was so rough. Plus the rpms went crazy high before it went into gear.
When are you going to take it to your local Ford Service Center? I mean, not sound condensending either, but if you feel it’s getting worse - the forums isn’t the answer...

Here’s what you do - schedule appt with Dealer, when you get there tell the Service Writer you want to go on a test drive with the Tech OR Shop Foreman. Take the car out with you driving it first, in the speed/gear range where it acts up the most. Then allow the Tech to drive it back to the Dealership under the SAME conditions.

Also make sure your test drive is NOT just a little jaunt around the Dealership block or neighborhood - take it out on the highway where you can demonstrate for a good 20 min drive.

Many times if a vehicle owner drops off a car for such a problem or concern WITHOUT demonstrating the concern, you may find making multiple trips back because of the common “Dealership can’t replicate the concern”, because either they don’t know how OR they aren’t driving the car in the manner the owner is driving it... and many times, they only go for a short test drive where the problem might not surface.
Sponsored

Deleted member 35644

My trans has been acting strangely since new. I've had several instances of 'lurching', normally when coming out of Park, warm engine, at idle. I finally got the dreaded wrench light a couple weeks ago, and they had to re-program my TCM. They found nothing mechanically wrong. It hasn't lurched since, but that wasn't a daily occurrence, so I'm still waiting for that to reappear. Some of its indecisiveness has cured itself too. Not ALL, but some.

As far as the fan speed....my 2017 V6, and now the 2018 2.3 did the same 'varying speed' weirdness, normally while sitting at a stoplight on 2, 3 or 4. It's like it's trying to decide how fast it wants to run. Since this is the 2nd car to do it, I have learned to live with it, and in my own mind, consider it normal behavior, and turn up the radio. It's much easier than trying to get something like that diagnosed.

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2019 F150 2018 Mustang GT 1996 Ford Bronco
When are you going to take it to your local Ford Service Center? I mean, not sound condensending either, but if you feel it’s getting worse - the forums isn’t the answer...

Here’s what you do - schedule appt with Dealer, when you get there tell the Service Writer you want to go on a test drive with the Tech OR Shop Foreman. Take the car out with you driving it first, in the speed/gear range where it acts up the most. Then allow the Tech to drive it back to the Dealership under the SAME conditions.

Also make sure your test drive is NOT just a little jaunt around the Dealership block or neighborhood - take it out on the highway where you can demonstrate for a good 20 min drive.

Many times if a vehicle owner drops off a car for such a problem or concern WITHOUT demonstrating the concern, you may find making multiple trips back because of the common “Dealership can’t replicate the concern”, because either they don’t know how OR they aren’t driving the car in the manner the owner is driving it... and many times, they only go for a short test drive where the problem might not surface.
Service appointment made, earliest they have is next week...

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
So I drop the car off Tuesday morning, the only thing I have done is an X-pipe, UPR catch can and some cosmetic stuff done. I'm not worried about the x pipe only worried about the catch can, should I take it off before I drop the car off or not worry about it?

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Orange Fury Mustang GT Premium A10 w/ PP1.
So I drop the car off Tuesday morning, the only thing I have done is an X-pipe, UPR catch can and some cosmetic stuff done. I'm not worried about the x pipe only worried about the catch can, should I take it off before I drop the car off or not worry about it?
You'll be fine, exhaust bolt ons like that won't raise any concern and have nothing to do with your issue.

Sponsored

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Nothing thing I have noticed. This car really feels a lot better when you drive a bit more spirited. Trying to putt around, use less than half throttle to accelerate, shifting below 2.5k all make the car feel jerky and jumpy. I started driving it a bit harder and it feels a lot better for sure

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
What about the catch can?

Same here over the weekend I said screw it and got on it hard and went thru the gears a bunch of times a couple 7k rpm up shifts and some high down shifts. Now it 4th gear seems normal again, still get the jerky squat from Park to Drive and the hard cluck when breaking on the 4-3 down shift... its kind of puzzling. Still planning on taking it to the dealer tomorrow

Diocletian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
What about the catch can?

Same here over the weekend I said screw it and got on it hard and went thru the gears a bunch of times a couple 7k rpm up shifts and some high down shifts. Now it 4th gear seems normal again, still get the jerky squat from Park to Drive and the hard cluck when breaking on the 4-3 down shift... its kind of puzzling. Still planning on taking it to the dealer tomorrow
That sounds normal for the transmission, the 4th gear jerkiness is just a product of how it's designed. Put everything in normal mode and it'll smooth that out most the time.

Also, the delay in park, reverse and back to drive is also normal. It's a very...high strung tranny, used in mainly high HP and/or torque applications, like the Camaro ZL1 and the F150.

PandaMike5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT Premium A10
My car has been doing the same as you all have stated. In normal driving mode, the 3rd upshift seems to hesitate before it accelerates normally. When coming to a stop, the downshift around 15-17mph is pretty rough with some noticeable RPM dips before it catches. I've got the car at the service center right now for this and the cold start tick.

OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Let us know what they say i've been trying to find a dealer near me that has some experience with these cars

Sponsored

blue350gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Lightning Blue GT PP
I 'm having the same lurch from park to drive and harsh downshift on 4th to 3rd gear. My 2018 was built in march , I have yet to take it to a dealership, I am going to schedule a appointment next week and see there is a tcm update from my car. It looks like there is no easy way to know what tcm version is installed currently?

Found a review that they had the same issues most people are having https://carbuzz.com/reviews/2018-fo...iew-even-the-automatic-needs-anger-management

From the review "For example, one has to push hard on the brakes before shifting into Drive or Reverse because the chassis has a tendency to buck like a rodeo bull when leaving Park"
And "...even when coming to a red light with the ten-speed downshifting and slamming occupants forward as it fires off third and loads first gear into the chamber."

PandaMike5.0

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2018 Magnetic GT Premium A10
My car was built in March as well. They are supposed to give me an update this afternoon on the car. It's definitely driving differently than when I first bought it. I might be able to live with the ticking (might being a strong word) but the transmission is starting to really bother me.Hopefully I'll be able to let y'all know what they say later this evening.

**Update** I received a call from the dealership today. They have gotten approval from Ford to fix the transmission. They are unsure of the cause so far but stated that something has failed and they will let me know once the cause is determined.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Matco

Matco

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
Well lets add this to the list of problems, I get it in this morning to drive to work and I start it and it come up saying Hill start assist not available, pre collision assist not available, service advance trac, drive modes not available.... ABS light on and traction control light on.

HELP

ubif

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT, 2012 Focus, 2019 Edge ST
I have a 2019 A10 almost 3k miles.
Just had the lurch from park to drive happen to me. Got on it a bit on the highway today and if the car is in sport mode when shifting from 4th to 5th the car bucks. I really don’t wanna take it in :/

If it’s in normal drive it seems fine but sport mode is throwing it off.

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT