2018 GT 10 speed trans issue

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
Anyone else having issues with the transmission seeming to lunge into drive or reverse? i have about 8000 miles on mine, been doing it for probably the last 2000 miles. i drive it pretty easy, no burn outs, just to work and back, every now and then put in sport mode and go.

Seems to really slam into drive when i put it in gear, and then sometimes it goes in almost normal. I took it in for a paint repair when someone backed into it when it was parked and asked them to look at trans while in there. they said nothing was wrong with it. i then had the service guy put it in gear and he says, thats not right!

So i leave it and they say they have to order new parts in. i took it back, and they had it 6 days. they apparently put in a new subframe in the rear differential because they said it has excessive play in the bushings. that would have cost about $3000 he said after parts and labor but covered under warranty of course.

i take it home, and play with the gears, it slams into gear again. i call and take it back, now they are keeping it and messaging Ford to get input on what to do. I really didnt think it was the subframe but let them play their games, they are paying for it. so for now i get to drive a focus around....ugh!

Any ideas?
Sponsored

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
Anyone else having issues with the transmission seeming to lunge into drive or reverse? i have about 8000 miles on mine, been doing it for probably the last 2000 miles. i drive it pretty easy, no burn outs, just to work and back, every now and then put in sport mode and go.

Seems to really slam into drive when i put it in gear, and then sometimes it goes in almost normal. I took it in for a paint repair when someone backed into it when it was parked and asked them to look at trans while in there. they said nothing was wrong with it. i then had the service guy put it in gear and he says, thats not right!

So i leave it and they say they have to order new parts in. i took it back, and they had it 6 days. they apparently put in a new subframe in the rear differential because they said it has excessive play in the bushings. that would have cost about $3000 he said after parts and labor but covered under warranty of course.

i take it home, and play with the gears, it slams into gear again. i call and take it back, now they are keeping it and messaging Ford to get input on what to do. I really didnt think it was the subframe but let them play their games, they are paying for it. so for now i get to drive a focus around....ugh!

Any ideas?
I have some issues with my 10R80. It’s going into the shop on the 26th. I’ll update after but the service manager got in the car for four minutes and said it feels off.

Mine skips second gear always unless you are manually shifting with the paddles, and when I go from park to drive or drive or anything else it is very harsh and jerky.

RaceHorseV8

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ricky
Vehicle(s)
2001 Cobra, 2004 Cobra, 2019 GT
I have a '19 GT auto and so far I don't have any harsh shifts from park to drive or reverse. After starting the car I wait a few minutes until the RPMs are under 1000 before taking it out of park. In D mine will give a bit of a surge in 1st and go into 3rd, skipping 2nd under most accelerating. I have to really take off hard for it to go from 1st to 2nd in D. If I shift to S it will ALWAYS go into 2nd and not skip any lower gears. The owners manual doesn't mention this specifically but does say that D provides "the best fuel economy" and in S "provides additional lower gear operation through the automatic transmission shift strategy". To me that explains what I'm seeing and I'm happy that it is operating normally skipping 2nd gear in D. Under hard acceleration in S mode this trans bangs gears quite hard. This is a heavy-duty transmission and even though the harsh shifting noted here seems abnormal just going from P into R or D, I highly doubt that it is hurting the transmission. I've seen some talk on 6g about an auto transmission software update being available so that might be worth asking the service manager about. Keep us posted!

MikeMM

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT500 on order
Had this happen on one of my other cars and my issue ended up being the idle was a few hundred rpm high (literally 150 or so) and it would smash into drive/reverse like you were describing. Dropping it back down a little fixed my issue. Not saying this is your issue, but may be something to look into.

swooshdave

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT Premium
Vehicle Showcase
With 10 speeds it's expected to skip some of the gears under certain circumstances.

Sponsored

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Under moderate acceleration in normal drive, it will skip 2nd and 4th. That is how it is designed and is a good thing for fuel economy as well as smoothness.

Deleted member 35644

Mine has shot me out of the car wash bay a few times, and sent me hurdling backward out of the garage. I finally got the "wrench light" a few thousand miles ago, and they ended up having to re-flash my transmission controller. It didn't solve everything, but the lunging is gone.

Ylow281

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang GT/2018 Mustang GT
Look in the transmission/driveline forum of this site. Several folks with the same issue including me. Mine is in winter storage but will be at the dealer in the spring. I'm hoping a TSB surfaces over the winter.

Mustanggt5.02011

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GTCS
When I first bought my 2018 late in 2017, I thought there was a problem as it always skipped 2 and 4th in D. Then I found out that was normal for Drive mode. When you shift into anything like sport mode or drag mode it hits every gear like its supposed to. The only issue I have with my 2019 GTCS is when it down shifts from say 6th to 5th, it surges a little, but its not violent at all so i'm not to concerned about it.

marks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Race Red Manual
Under moderate acceleration in normal drive, it will skip 2nd and 4th. That is how it is designed and is a good thing for fuel economy as well as smoothness.
Yes, it's mentioned on numerous reviews about skipping gears (not necessarily improves fuel economy), such as these

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review/ford/mustang/first-drives/ford-mustang-gt-2018-uk-review

https://www.evo.co.uk/ford/mustang/21291/2018-ford-mustang-review-pony-car-ponies-up-even-more-fun

Last edited:

Sponsored

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
I have shared my issues with mine having the surge going from park to drive. My service manager talked or lectured me about the learning adaptives on this tranny. For about 10 days I kept the mode in normal and did not use any other modes during that test period. The surging went away. I just don’t like how this transmission
Keeps changing depending on which mode you drive it in. BTW, I only have 5,000 mole on my car.

OP
OP
disneyfun1

disneyfun1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Art
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT Prem Calif Special, 2021 Mustang Mach-E
I have shared my issues with mine having the surge going from park to drive. My service manager talked or lectured me about the learning adaptives on this tranny. For about 10 days I kept the mode in normal and did not use any other modes during that test period. The surging went away. I just don’t like how this transmission
Keeps changing depending on which mode you drive it in. BTW, I only have 5,000 mole on my car.
mine finally got fixed, they said the pcm needed an update. so far, so good, only 8K on the car. if it does it again, ill try your method!

Ratfink53

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Don
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium
mine finally got fixed, they said the pcm needed an update. so far, so good, only 8K on the car. if it does it again, ill try your method!
I’m glad that yours is good now.

Rash

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Magnetic/Showstopper Red, 401A, Active Exhaust
Can you please post a picture of your service receipt that mentions the PCM update? I'm having similar issues and it would be helpful to have that info before going in for service. TIA.

ChaoticFury09

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Nathan
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium (Automatic - Magnetic)
I just got my car back the other day. They said I was short a quart of oil and they reset the system. I no longer have the hard shifts at all. I will post my service order once I get home.
Sponsored